The Roland Special

AndersonAUB

Good to know. Just spent a few days at the range with my team and it is clear that the equipment on the pistol side of the house is the next component to be adjusted to take many of the team members performance to the next level. We would need a retention holster set up.

RMRs were brought up, but the compensator was not mentioned.

N

nate89

Me, @Tricks, and @AKMer tried a few different comps side-by-side today. We had the KKM barrel/2-port comp, as well as the Lone Wolf 2-port, and the new 3 port Alphawolf. I have a video uploading right now, and i'll post a link as soon as it's done. Overall, I was pretty impressed with the Alphawolf as far as effectiveness as reducing muzzle flip. The original Lone Wolf comp has some large side ports that angle sharply to the rear, almost like they are looking to reduce recoil more than muzzle rise. I think we all felt like the concussion on the side was most significant with this one. The Alphawolf has no side ports, only the three on top. I really can't make any comments about durability or longevity about the two offerings from Lone Wolf, but I felt that they both worked well. Between the two from LW, I would go with the Alphawolf model.

tact

Any experiences with the Carver? I just can't bring myself to put anything from LW on any pistol......feels dirty.

N

nate89

Correct, 147 reloads with titegroup. One thing I want to try is a slower powder and lighter bullet to get more gas volume just to see what happens. I have some true blue, hs-6, and a couple other powders that the USPSA guys are using in their 9 major open guns. Granted I won't load as hot as they do, but I can get fairly close safely in a stock Glock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

tested the following ammo:
  • American Eagle 115 gr (no issues)
  • Speer Lawman 124gr (no issues)
  • Liberty Civil Defense 50gr
The Civil Defense broke apart inside the KKM comp and shattered fragments flew out of the barrel, tearing my hand and arm up to the point of bleeding. I don't recommend using this round on the Roland G19.

adam_s

tested the following ammo:
  • American Eagle 115 gr (no issues)
  • Speer Lawman 124gr (no issues)
  • Liberty Civil Defense 50gr
The Civil Defense broke apart inside the KKM comp and shattered fragments flew out of the barrel, tearing my hand and arm up to the point of bleeding. I don't recommend using this round on the Roland G19.

Do you have any photos of the aftermath? Are the fragments you're referencing from the round, the comp, or both?
What do you attribute the round failure to, if you can guess? Sorry for all the questions-just trying to get more data for the collective!

Do you have any photos of the aftermath? Are the fragments you're referencing from the round, the comp, or both?
What do you attribute the round failure to, if you can guess? Sorry for all the questions-just trying to get more data for the collective!

I don't have any pictures of the aftermath in hand other than my instagram picture.

the fragments were from the round and I'm not sure what caused the fragmenting but I believe the light, 50gr hollow round shattered inside the comp due to excessive pressure within the comp.

275RLTW

I don't have any pictures of the aftermath in hand other than my instagram picture.

the fragments were from the round and I'm not sure what caused the fragmenting but I believe the light, 50gr hollow round shattered inside the comp due to excessive pressure within the comp.

Did you really expect anything else from shooting a fragmenting round through a comp'd barrel?!? Sorry to call you out but that's just plain stupid.

Shogun187

Just some observations from my work-in-progress Roland Special - brand new Gen 4 Glock 19 (BBLF prefix), Gen 4 Glock 17 trigger assembly, minus connector, KKM barrel/comp, factory plastic (crap) sights, no optic. Ammunition was equal mix of S&B and Speer; I can't specify weight since it was all loose in an ammo can but I believe they're 115 or 124 as I used to carry 124 gr + P Gold Dot. Mags were factory Glock 19, 17 and two Magpul. Conservative estimate of rounds through it today was 500. I also shot this next to my Gen 4 Glock 17 because I wanted to see (subjectively) how much of an effect the comp actually had. Speaking of the comp, I initially attached it without any type of thread-locking compound; that lasted less than 50 rounds before it was free-spinning and crooked. Granted, I didn't torque the setscrews a whole lot since they're not that big and I have an irrational fear of stripping them. After adding Loctite 242 (and letting it dry), no other issues were noted with the comp coming loose.

Next to my Gen 4 Glock 17, this was noticeably flatter shooting. Especially with a couple of +P rounds I had mixed in, I could feel a decrease in muzzle rise. A co-worker also tried the 19 after shooting his 22 and he said the same thing. No one on the line to my left or right complained about the comp. I didn't see anything that would constitute excessive muzzle flash (didn't shoot low-light, however).

There were quite a few failures-to-feed initially. It generally appeared to be the first or second round in each magazine. That being said, the greatest majority of the failures-to-feed were during thumb pec index. I was pretty pissed but after additional Slip EWL and making sure I gripped the gun tightly during retention, the FTFs subsided. With regards to shooting with the comp and the thumb pec index, I didn't suffer any ill effects. The ports were pretty close to my face and I didn't find it to be a problem.

bigwoods

I've run Heine str8 and now Dawson FO w/ black rear. I've never trained with a RMR but have RM06 on it's way and then to Aeti. It looks like the Roland, DocGRG, and some others are running Trijicon night sights. I defer to them. Does anyone know the reasoning for that? It is not too noisy with the tritium dots and red dot stacked? Is that what is advised for the beginner transitioning to RD? Or should I start with flat black?

K Williams

I have plain black irons on my Roland Special and I would roll with tritium if I do another. The plain front is difficult to pick up through the optic, even marked with a paint pen.

Status update (5/22/2016):

Round Count: 2500
Cleaned: 2500 (rounds ago) with Fireclean

Ammo Type:
  • Speer Lawman 124gr TMJ: 300 Rounds
    • Failures: None
  • American Eagle 115gr FMJ: 800 Rounds
  • GECO 115gr FMJ: 1000 Rounds
  • Sinterfire 90gr Frangibles: 400 Rounds
    • Failures: 2 FTF, 2 FTE
Gun is pretty filthy but chugging along fine.

26565644774_f1c32d74f9_c.jpg

27138495116_82ed8206b0_c.jpg

26567178863_8f77cf0e7c_c.jpg

26567202733_1157cea556_c.jpg

26567231853_728bcc70dd_c.jpg

The U-Boat is still clean as new:

27103157931_f61ed6416d_c.jpg