The Roland Special

Ephraim R.

I think Nate said it right. I shot his Roland Special and liked it enough I'm pricing parts out. Has any one got to play with the Agency Arms NOC? I would like to run one next to a RS and see what its like. Also has anyone done a RS G17?

I have. Actually the first one I did was a G17. I like it immensely. I am working on building the G19 now. Just waiting on a new Freya for it.
DSC_0511.jpg

N

nate89

Due to the roland special being about the same length as a 34, we went up shooting earlier today and compared a 34 to the roland side-by-side. Obviously with adding the comp your opportunity cost is not being able to use that same space for slide and barrel. While everyone agreed that the comp did keep the muzzle down better than the 34, has anyone else shot them side-by-side? Any comparisons? I think I would still call the comped 19 the best overall performance, carrying a 34 instead of a roland might be an option for people not wanting to spend the money on the new barrel and comp, but want a bit more performance, and can carry the extra length.

Note: the 34 did not have a dot, so it wasn't a perfect apples to apples, but it was interesting.

Ephraim R.

No scientific method or anything but shooting a G34 next to a Roland with 124gr and 147gr was noticeably snappier with the G34 to me. The Roland Long Dick (G17) was even more so. Again, not anything other than my perception. I loaded two rounds each gun and shot in sequence. I preferred the Roland's.

N

nate89

I agree-the gun shot flatter I guess is the best way to phrase it. All in all, I'm happy I got the comp for the 19.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Kkm barrel finally showed, yup this is a legit combo. Need to have LM on speed dial when that trijicon shows up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm at roughly 2600rnds with this gun. 1000 of that was before I mounted the RMR. I've been making an effort to get out and get more time behind the RMR. I've tried a few different varieties of range ammo and duty ammo, 115gr.-158gr. The majority has been 147gr. Speer Lawman FMJ and Speer 147gr. Gold Dot. Pretty flat-shooting across the board so long as I did my part.

Daily carry so far has been with the Raven Concealment Eidolon- Obviously w/o the WML. Backpacking, Hunting, and some Training, I've use the Safariland 6354DO to allow the use of a WML. Because of the RMR location on the Zev slide I did have to modify the 6354DO. I used this guide HERE to modify. The KKM Comp not only keeps the muzzle flat and the dot in view, it also keeps the WML from getting blasted with carbon keeping your lumens unmolested.

RMR- RM07 (6.5MOA)
Iron Sights- Zev Blacked-Out Suppressor Sights
Slide- Zev Trilobite (stock internals)
Barrel/Comp- KKM Precision
Frame- I did the grip reduction and stippling.
Frame Internals- 3.5lb Ghost Connector, 6lb extra power striker spring, 6lb extra power trigger spring.
Magwell- Zev PRO Magwell (started with Agency, swapped to Zev. Happy about the switch)
WML- Standard Surefire X300 (I'd like to swap to a X300U)

N

nate89

I also have the agency magwell right now. What where the differences you saw in the Zev magwell that made you switch?

I also have the agency magwell right now. What where the differences you saw in the Zev magwell that made you switch?

The Zev is a larger magwell internally, without much more external material. It's hard to imagine, but there's significantly more funnel to the Zev.
In addition to that, the Zev is a one piece magwell, just shove it in and screw it down.

N

nate89

The Zev is a larger magwell internally, without much more external material. It's hard to imagine, but there's significantly more funnel to the Zev.
In addition to that, the Zev is a one piece magwell, just shove it in and screw it down.
Makes sense, and thanks for the picture comparing the two. It is true, the agency is a very minimalis magwell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
Roland Special holster?

Because the VG#3 only just got released, I've been using the X-Fer. There is a SLIM chance I may need a more conventional belt holster for one, who makes it? I contacted Raven and they do not.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I'm waiting on a Phantom for the G34 for the pistola.

I am however ready to cancel my order with Trijicon via Promotive... 6+ weeks and still no idea on ETA.

I'm waiting on a Phantom for the G34 for the pistola.

I am however ready to cancel my order with Trijicon via Promotive... 6+ weeks and still no idea on ETA.

I'm approaching 9 weeks here. In another thread we hashed this out and a couple of us are expecting 10 weeks. I was in no particular rush when I ordered but if I had it to do over I would have bit the bullet locally. Promotive was on par with local good guy price point but there was nothing in stock at the time. Kicking myself now. Probably going to pick one up local and have two on hand in case of one going down. I'm getting antsy.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
Luckily I now have a G17 that is approaching "done" so I can at least carry that when and if that RMR comes in for sending the slide away to L&M with the RDS to get milled. But until then I can still play with the comp. Having shot both the G17 and RMR back to back I will say that the Comp is noticeably flatter vs a stock Gen 4 17 in terms of muzzle rise, but that could also be virtue of the stipple and undercut on mine allowing me to get a better man handle on the pistol itself. I still love a 17. Yes, a G34 has better sight radius, but frankly I've shot just as well with a 17 as I ever have with a G34. Not enough for me to really feel the need to switch. Plus I can still get away with concealing the 17 with a Vanguard 2 "Enhanced" as the claw takes care of the butt of the pistol nicely.