Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'll of course post all my test results as they occur. Should be able to get the new Compact configuration to the range within the week.

On a somewhat unrelated note, turns out I won a drawing at my range to get to shoot a 50BMG Barrett! That will be happening tonight, I'll try to get some pictures and report back on the experience

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2258.jpg

In case anyone was curious, touching off five rounds of 50BMG in an indoor, enclosed, 25-yard range is about the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience. Good God that gun is an engineering miracle...

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
https://grayguns.com/grayguns-boresight-solutions/

...Somebody talk me out of spending $450 on a cut-up piece of plastic please...

That is a $40 grip with $410 worth of stippling and modifying. You could buy 10 of them, absolutely destroy nine of them, and the tenth one be made pretty well and you'd come out money ahead of buying the Boresight one. And you'd have learned what you did & didn't like over the previous nine iterations, whereas the Boresight grip is what he sells you. If you don't love it, it's $450 of 'meh'.

If it was a serialized frame, I'd say go for it. A P320 grip? Pass.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That is a $40 grip with $410 worth of stippling and modifying. You could buy 10 of them, absolutely destroy nine of them, and the tenth one be made pretty well and you'd come out money ahead of buying the Boresight one. And you'd have learned what you did & didn't like over the previous nine iterations, whereas the Boresight grip is what he sells you. If you don't love it, it's $450 of 'meh'.

If it was a serialized frame, I'd say go for it. A P320 grip? Pass.

That was my thinking. There was a brief urge for a 15-round-compatible grip module with ergonomics more similar to the X-Carry frame, but after adding up the cost of parts I've purchased for this project thus far - not including ammo or holsters - I've decided I think I'm good for now...

MojoNixon

Established
You could go the route I went, buy yourself a wood burning kit (doesn’t get as hot as a soldering iron so easier to control) and do it yourself.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
You could go the route I went, buy yourself a wood burning kit (doesn’t get as hot as a soldering iron so easier to control) and do it yourself.

Certainly an option, but to be honest the ergos and standard texturing on both the X-Carry and standard Compact grip are pretty great out of the box. I'm not saying I wouldn't see some benefit from doing some stippling on either or both, but I'll see more benefit right now from investing the cost of either a professional stipple job or the purchase of a wood burner/soldering iron into ammo and range time. Gadgets and gizmos are certainly fun and can help, but nothing's going to replace training and trigger time for building skill with this gun(s).

I've got a few other parts that I've already purchased in-transit, and I still need to buy an AIWB holster for the new Compact grip+TLR-7 setup, but otherwise I think most of my spendin' money is going to be going towards ammo for T&E purposes on the new Compact package. At least for a few weeks

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Dang. Everyone here is getting ammo in and I'm just sitting by the door waiting on the mailman to come by.

I have become painfully intimately familiar with that wait over the last couple months as parts for this project slowly trickled in. Hang in there, Christmas morning in July is sure to be there soon!

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I just noticed you also have a thread going on over at BrainEnos, which has got some great feedback as well. I'm just waiting for Rainier to get the M&P comps back in stock to give one a try on my 226 (the 229 and a new 1/2X28 barrel will have to wait). I actually put the Glock 43 comp on my 226 before I put it on the 43 just to see what happened. Honestly it didn't do much. Hopefully the M&P comp will work a bit better. Thanks for the updates on the project.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I just noticed you also have a thread going on over at BrainEnos, which has got some great feedback as well. I'm just waiting for Rainier to get the M&P comps back in stock to give one a try on my 226 (the 229 and a new 1/2X28 barrel will have to wait). I actually put the Glock 43 comp on my 226 before I put it on the 43 just to see what happened. Honestly it didn't do much. Hopefully the M&P comp will work a bit better. Thanks for the updates on the project.

Absolutely! I do have threads going simultaneously on here, BEnos.com and ar15.com. Helps me gather a good variety of feedback from a lot of different shooters with multiple perspectives of the shooting community.

To my understanding the M&P comps are the way to go for any of the Sig P22X classic line of pistols - They seem to match the slide profile well and don't get hung up in holsters

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Absolutely! I do have threads going simultaneously on here, BEnos.com and ar15.com. Helps me gather a good variety of feedback from a lot of different shooters with multiple perspectives of the shooting community.

To my understanding the M&P comps are the way to go for any of the Sig P22X classic line of pistols - They seem to match the slide profile well and don't get hung up in holsters

I may have to venture back to the dark side and check out your thread on ar15.com.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2321.JPG

Moved some things around in my schedule and got back to the range this evening to put the first rounds through the new Compact setup;

- Fired about 450 rounds total, with about 250 through the Compact configuration. Rounds were a mix of standard pressure 115/124/147gr FMJ and randomly selected JHP, plus some of the WWB 124gr NATO and a little bit of the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P for comparison

- Absolutely zero malfunctions of any kind through either configuration

- Being able to shoot the compensated and non-compensated setups side by side with the same ammo really puts the effectiveness of the comp into perspective. I very much appreciate the effect it's having, particularly on the hotter loads

- The Compact configuration ran reliably on every combination of bullet weight, pressure level, and ran all the JHP rounds just fine (as was expected from effectively a stock 9mm modern duty pistol). Personally, I liked the recoil profile and controllability of the standard pressure 124gr and 147gr loads the most

- I ran the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 115gr +P and +P+ rounds through the compensated setup, and they functioned flawlessly. I won't be changing to those as my preferred defensive load from the Critical Duty 124gr +P any time soon, but curiosity satisfied at least

My next step will be to get a selection of more standard pressure 124gr and 147gr JHP loads to do more reliability testing and down-select from the pool of reliable loads for my one or two preferred defensive rounds. As with the comped configuration though, it is nice to see that the pistol will run reliably on any load I happen to feed it.

Also - People look at you very skeptically when you disassemble your gun multiple times over on the line...

MojoNixon

Established
View attachment 2679

Moved some things around in my schedule and got back to the range this evening to put the first rounds through the new Compact setup;

- Fired about 450 rounds total, with about 250 through the Compact configuration. Rounds were a mix of standard pressure 115/124/147gr FMJ and randomly selected JHP, plus some of the WWB 124gr NATO and a little bit of the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P for comparison

- Absolutely zero malfunctions of any kind through either configuration

- Being able to shoot the compensated and non-compensated setups side by side with the same ammo really puts the effectiveness of the comp into perspective. I very much appreciate the effect it's having, particularly on the hotter loads

- The Compact configuration ran reliably on every combination of bullet weight, pressure level, and ran all the JHP rounds just fine (as was expected from effectively a stock 9mm modern duty pistol). Personally, I liked the recoil profile and controllability of the standard pressure 124gr and 147gr loads the most

- I ran the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 115gr +P and +P+ rounds through the compensated setup, and they functioned flawlessly. I won't be changing to those as my preferred defensive load from the Critical Duty 124gr +P any time soon, but curiosity satisfied at least

My next step will be to get a selection of more standard pressure 124gr and 147gr JHP loads to do more reliability testing and down-select from the pool of reliable loads for my one or two preferred defensive rounds. As with the comped configuration though, it is nice to see that the pistol will run reliably on any load I happen to feed it.

Also - People look at you very skeptically when you disassemble your gun multiple times over on the line...
That’s because a lot of people don’t know what they don’t know or don’t understand what they’re witnessing.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That’s because a lot of people don’t know what they don’t know or don’t understand what they’re witnessing.

Very true. Along that line, one of the more inquisitive fellow shooters this evening was an older gentleman shooting a couple 1911s. He got the courage up to wander over at some point and ask what was attached to the end of the barrel (referring to the comp). After talking him through it, and letting him dump ten rounds of 124gr NATO downrange through it, he walked back to his lane - Smiling and chuckling something along the lines of "I want one of those..."