Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

MojoNixon

Established
My blaster in the above pics is a G19.3 with TBRC Comp on a SilencerCo barrel. TLR-1HL, G19 mag with Arredondo +5. Ghost connector Vickers mag release and slide release. Grip Force Adapter, Magpul magwell, and home brew stipple job. Spare mags are G17 with Arredondo +5/6 (5 for .40 Cal and 6 for 9mm).
Arredondo has different extensions for G19 and G17 mags. The G17 extension does work in the G19 mags but the angles are a bit different. The one for G19 mags is +5 not 6 like the G17 versions.
I have considered putting in an Overwatch Precision DAT trigger but haven’t really talked myself into it yet.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
OH I should've mentioned - The mag probably looks like it's sitting fairly high because that the extended 27-round magazine that's made from the OEM Sig 21 rounders;

IMG_2222.JPG

17- extended to 23-rounds on the left, 21- extended to 27-rounds on the right

Ryan St.Jean

Ok, hopefully these couple of pictures help illustrate the issues I'd have carrying this gun in the current form. The holster pictured is a TRex Arms Sidecar light-bearing model. First picture is of the holster how it should be - inside the waistband, with an undershirt, and an average representation of the kind of shirt I'd wear day-to-day. This illustrates the problem with the fullsize grip+magwell+extended base pads fairly well;

View attachment 2635

"Hey, is that a gun in your pants, or - Nope that's definitely a gun in your pants..."

Now, to show what I'm talking about as far as the flashlight/compensator being a bit too long, here's with the overshirt removed and the holster moved to the outside of the waistband (not how one would actually carry with it);

View attachment 2636

There are two problems here - One, when I sit, the part of the holster that surrounds the flashlight bezel and the compensator itself dig very deeply into my legs. Ryan, to your suggestion that I pull my pants up to make clearance for the gun, if I do that then the crotch seam of the pants cuts into my groin very uncomfortably, so that's not an option either. If the gun was just the standard profile Compact slide with a flashlight that doesn't extend beyond the end of the frame, the overall package would terminate much higher up and it would be more comfortable for sitting. The other issue might not be as readily apparent - Take a look at where the exposed, unshielded, gets-scalding-hot-after-a-couple-mags-during-training compensator is resting...I donno about you, gentlemen, but that is not where I want anything that could very reasonably be described as "too hot to touch"...

As an aside, in regards to the Sidecar holster itself - the fit, finish, draw, and retention adjustability are all phenomenal. I can give a solid recommendation for these holsters to anyone looking for an AIWB holster+mag carrier combo piece of kydex. Just my personal physical build and the current construction of this gun don't lend themselves well to this (or any holster) for comfortable concealed carry

Yesterday’s confusion is cleared up now.

From the picture I would describe this as ‘covered’ more than ‘concealed’.

My .02:
I think this is too much gun for you to carry in light clothing unless it is circuis tent sized. Either use it in this configuration as a house/ tactical type gun or put on a compact frame with a flush fitting magazine.

I am not sold on the attached holster/ mag pouch. There is a lot of movement in the pelvis so I think it is better for them to be independent.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Yesterday’s confusion is cleared up now.

From the picture I would describe this as ‘covered’ more than ‘concealed’.

My .02:
I think this is too much gun for you to carry in light clothing unless it is circuis tent sized. Either use it in this configuration as a house/ tactical type gun or put on a compact frame with a flush fitting magazine.

I am not sold on the attached holster/ mag pouch. There is a lot of movement in the pelvis so I think it is better for them to be independent.

I definitely agree on both counts - Too much gun as currently configured and a holster either detached from or with a flex point from the mag carrier will help two-fold. I've got a couple things that should help on both fronts in-transit as we speak...

MojoNixon

Established
Rudukai if you have a minute measure approximately how long your 21 with extension is and about how far above the beltline the highest point is.
My G17 with +6 is about 6” long and the highest point sits about 3” above the belt line (in the JMCK AIWB carrier).

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Rudukai if you have a minute measure approximately how long your 21 with extension is and about how far above the beltline the highest point is.
My G17 with +6 is about 6” long and the highest point sits about 3” above the belt line (in the JMCK AIWB carrier).

The 17+6 mag is roughly six inches long and extends about 3.5 inches above the belt line in the Sidecar holster; The 21+6 mag is about seven inches overall and extends 5ish inches above the belt line in the same holster

MojoNixon

Established
Thanks. That kind of confirms what it “looks” like and what you say that it’s not really too high. More a product of a big mag with a big extension and the perspective of the pic.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Thanks. That kind of confirms what it “looks” like and what you say that it’s not really too high. More a product of a big mag with a big extension and the perspective of the pic.

Precisely. I wanted to clarify as that would have been an unfair indictment of the product based on incomplete information, and I'd rather not provide misrepresented info on what is otherwise, in my opinion, a high quality company

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
@rudukai13 , Did you ever give us height/weight numbers? Your gun either is bigger than I expected or you aren't as big as I imagined. Considering that your gun is modified from the standard silhouette, I can't really puzzle out which it is.

That being said, you're carrying a hell of a lot of gun, with 50 rounds on board (!). That would be difficult for even the most yeti-sized individuals to wear without printing like a newspaper.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
@rudukai13 , Did you ever give us height/weight numbers? Your gun either is bigger than I expected or you aren't as big as I imagined. Considering that your gun is modified from the standard silhouette, I can't really puzzle out which it is.

That being said, you're carrying a hell of a lot of gun, with 50 rounds on board (!). That would be difficult for even the most yeti-sized individuals to wear without printing like a newspaper.

I don't have exact height and weight for the gun, but to give you an idea the gun is now about the same size as a 1911 with X300U, red dot, ten-round 45ACP magazine, and magwell. Not exactly a small package.

I on the other hand am between 6'0" and 5'10" depending on which convenience store I'm walking out of, and about 150 pounds - Not quite a stature large enough to be attempting to conceal effectively a fullsize 1911. However...

krax

One fullsize compensated duty/defense pistol, one carry pistol - And the exact same trigger pull between the two of them. And possible to switch back and forth between the two in about 30 seconds with no tools.

THIS is what the P320 is all about
Hard to argue with that logic. I'd still want two separate pistols at some point, but that's pretty cool.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Hard to argue with that logic. I'd still want two separate pistols at some point, but that's pretty cool.

It's certainly my intention to acquire several other P320s (complete with FCUs) in the future. Just used a bit of the extra spendin' money I had for the moment to scratch muh modularity itch

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
For T&E purposes I will be treating the Compact setup as a completely new gun, meaning a whole second round of reliability testing, load comparisons, and narrowing down on a JHP and FMJ round to use with the setup.

On a related note - Anyone know the process for getting an ammo sponsorship? I'm joking. Mostly...

MojoNixon

Established
Now this is just my opinion and how things feel to me. So take it for what it’s worth.
124 and NATO spec without a comp feels like a sharp upwards snap. Whereas 147 feels like more of a straight rearwards thump. The 147 in my hands is much easier to control in s smaller gun. Now neither is difficult to control 147 to me is just that little bit easier.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Now this is just my opinion and how things feel to me. So take it for what it’s worth.
124 and NATO spec without a comp feels like a sharp upwards snap. Whereas 147 feels like more of a straight rearwards thump. The 147 in my hands is much easier to control in s smaller gun. Now neither is difficult to control 147 to me is just that little bit easier.

That was my initial sense as well. It will be interesting to see how the same loads feel without the comp in a similar pistol. I will of course be doing all the testing, but my initial inclination is to think I will likely settle on a heavier, standard-pressure round for this configuration than the 124gr +P/NATO loads that the comped gun seems to like so well