Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

Ryan St.Jean

And here I was, thinking that it was designed that way to help facilitate right-handed reloads (coming from the left side of the magwell).

I'm trying to decide if I'll upgrade my gun with the TLR-1 800 lumen, or the TLR-7. What do you guys think?

Honestly I am seriously underwhelmed with this current almost daily push for more lumens. It screams marketing gimmick to me. I think it’s called product differentiation.

Folks might do well to consider if they need to go from this light to that one for a practical purpose or if they are doing it to say they are the kid who has the newest cool shiny toy. Neither is wrong but awareness is good in life.

If a light works reliably and let’s me see well enough go make good decisions at practical ranges that is sufficient for my purposes. The original TLR-1 I have does that.

As such I find the TLR-7s reduced size much more interesting than a few more lumens.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Another trip to the range is in order for this afternoon. I'm interested to see how the addition of the magwell to the Compact grip module changes the feel during shooting. I will report back on any interesting findings, of course

MojoNixon

Established
Another trip to the range is in order for this afternoon. I'm interested to see how the addition of the magwell to the Compact grip module changes the feel during shooting. I will report back on any interesting findings, of course
I suspect that without the comp the extra leverage you’ll probably be able to apply with your pinky and ring finger will help mitigate muzzle flip somewhat.
My little Magpul Magwell seems to position my last 2 fingers just right to help with control.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Back from the range, with unfortunately not as much of an update as I was hoping to have;

About two magazines into testing the Compact configuration the front lip of the magwell slipped off of the front of the grip module...I cleared the gun, hammered the magwell against the table at the range a couple times and went back to shooting - And then it slipped off again. So, while I did shoot another 250 rounds today, the majority was just through the compensated setup with the X-Series grip module and magwell (which has stayed solid throughout all my testing and again functioned flawlessly today).

Got home and tried removing and resetting the magwell on the Compact grip module, including tapping it fairly firmly with a rubber mallet more than a few times. It seems to be much more firmly seated on the grip module now, as I can't pry the front of the magwell off of the front of the grip with my hand. I will have to try another range trip soon to get a proper amount of testing done.

I may reach out to ANR Designs before then to make sure there's not some extra step or trick I'm missing to get the magwell seated properly. For now unfortunately that's all I've got for everyone...

MojoNixon

Established
That’s not an uncommon problem with cheap/inexpensive Magwells for Glocks. Like the polymer one the Glock Store sells. It is a genuine POS, ask me how I know. Slips off if you breathe on it too hard. Not trying to imply that yours is cheap or inexpensive, just a data point regarding Glocks.
Hopefully you get yours set up to work correctly.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That’s not an uncommon problem with cheap/inexpensive Magwells for Glocks. Like the polymer one the Glock Store sells. It is a genuine POS, ask me how I know. Slips off if you breathe on it too hard. Not trying to imply that yours is cheap or inexpensive, just a data point regarding Glocks.
Hopefully you get yours set up to work correctly.

Yeah I'm also just wondering if the basic shape of the standard P320 grip module just doesn't give a magwell enough to bite into for a really solid hold on the front strap without some permanent modification. Take a look at this picture comparing a G19 to a P320 Compact;

IMG_2386.JPG

Notice on the G19 how the finger groove at the very bottom of the front strap of the grip creates a nice little ledge that a lot of magwell manufacturers use to catch the front of their magwell on, while the bottom of the P320 front strap doesn't have that notch of extra material to help securely hold a magwell attachment. This might be why Springer Precision's P320 magwells require permanent modification and epoxy to stay on...

Hopefully that's not the case and I just didn't properly seat the ANVL magwell (wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake, certainly won't be the last). I've sent a message out to ANR Design regarding the issue, we'll see what they come back with as well as what further testing reveals and I'll go from there

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
To be honest, if the ANVL magwell either doesn't work out due to poor design or due to excessive printing when concealed, it won't be that much of a let-down. That particular purchase was more of a "oh that's new and neat!" impulse buy than anything else. And, as Krax pointed out some time ago in this thread - If it comes down to a choice between not carrying a pistol and carrying a pistol without every single one of my preferred features, that's a fairly easy choice to make

Ryan St.Jean

To be honest, if the ANVL magwell either doesn't work out due to poor design or due to excessive printing when concealed, it won't be that much of a let-down. That particular purchase was more of a "oh that's new and neat!" impulse buy than anything else. And, as Krax pointed out some time ago in this thread - If it comes down to a choice between not carrying a pistol and carrying a pistol without every single one of my preferred features, that's a fairly easy choice to make

Have you done reloads on a timer with and without the magwell?

A magwell might be nice to have but difficult to conceal.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Correct. It also has a programmable strobe function that is activated by a swift double-tap of either button

Then I'll probably end up going with the -7 over the -1HL. I've already got the 'hold for momentary, click for on/off' programmed into my brain from yearas of carrying an Inforce (don't judge me), so I'd just as soon keep those reps relevant while increasing my lumens.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Honestly I am seriously underwhelmed with this current almost daily push for more lumens. It screams marketing gimmick to me. I think it’s called product differentiation.

Folks might do well to consider if they need to go from this light to that one for a practical purpose or if they are doing it to say they are the kid who has the newest cool shiny toy. Neither is wrong but awareness is good in life.

If a light works reliably and let’s me see well enough go make good decisions at practical ranges that is sufficient for my purposes. The original TLR-1 I have does that.

As such I find the TLR-7s reduced size much more interesting than a few more lumens.

I'm replacing a gen1 APL. I'm going from ~200 looms on a 4-5 year old questionable product to a much more reputable company while doubling my light output. 200 lumens hasn't failed me yet, but 500 will serve me better in more places and situations.

I think the aspect of going from Inforce to Streamlight is self-explanatory :)

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
AHA! Heard back from ANR Designs;

"Sorry to hear you experienced some issues with the magwell. From the issues you are describing it sounds like we sent the wrong screw with the magwell. I am sending you the correct screw today. I apologize for the error."

And a tracking number was sent just a few minutes after. Refreshingly good customer service from them!

Ryan St.Jean

Then I'll probably end up going with the -7 over the -1HL. I've already got the 'hold for momentary, click for on/off' programmed into my brain from yearas of carrying an Inforce (don't judge me), so I'd just as soon keep those reps relevant while increasing my lumens.

Moving to a streamlight makes sense. They make legitimately duty grade stuff at a price which is a real value.

Also getting more lumens when you are already changing the unit makes sense. I cringe when I see guys churning a new expensive light every other month when one that is a little brighter comes out.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Moving to a streamlight makes sense. They make legitimately duty grade stuff at a price which is a real value.

Also getting more lumens when you are already changing the unit makes sense. I cringe when I see guys churning a new expensive light every other month when one that is a little brighter comes out.

I'm with you there, I'm definitely not the guy switching out lights all the time. I just don't have the $$$ for that nonsense. I'm running a light that I've had longer than the gun it's attached to. It still has that QD clamp thing on the side.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Aaron reviewing the Romeo 1 - relevant to this discussion.

Rick

It is indeed. I watched that just a bit ago myself and came to post the link to the video in this thread.

While I have not yet had any issues to note with the two R1 optics in my possession, this review is certainly troubling and I will likely in short order be looking at either purchasing the additional protective shrouds or getting my slides milled and replace the R1s with Leupold DPPs

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Hopefully. Maybe Aaron will test one of those too. Have you noticed the refresh rate issue he described?

I have not. That is certainly not to say I have any reason not to believe that he experienced that issue, but of my personal sample size of 2 I haven't noticed it.

I will say his comments regarding the anodizing being thin and easily scratched have been my experience as well, but as he mentions in his video as well I don't live near salt water or in high humidity (Colorado), so corrosion is less of a concern to me

tact

Aaron reviewing the Romeo 1 - relevant to this discussion.

Rick

It is indeed. I watched that just a bit ago myself and came to post the link to the video in this thread.

While I have not yet had any issues to note with the two R1 optics in my possession, this review is certainly troubling and I will likely in short order be looking at either purchasing the additional protective shrouds or getting my slides milled and replace the R1s with Leupold DPPs

DPP have had some high failure rates or so I’ve read anyway.