Variable optics

With the available mounts , and the options in scopes and BUIS , I have pretty much abandoned the 1x scopes. I find a precision type scope in the 2.5-10 range or even the 3-12 range with RTS/RDS type side sights suits me a bit better.

The 1 to whatever scope just cant replace the RDS, the forgiving eye box of a RDS allows me to shoot it from all sort of messed up , less then ideal positions. The scope on the other hand no matter how good is still very sensitive to eye location in relation to the lens, so its like a RDS without what I find to be the key attributes of the RDS. I do run the RDS with a lower 1/3rd iron sight adjustable for both windage and elevation, it just gives a bit more options.

the ability to pick a rifle best suited to the job at hand but in a pinch be able to be pushed in to any role seems to work better for me then a single rifle with the ability to be pushed in to any role.

adam_s

Saw over on Sniper's Hide that that DFP version of the Bushnell 1-6.5x has been delayed. Consider the source and make of that what you will.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
I got to touch a Steiner 1-5 yesterday and as impressed with my limited exposure. Anybody have a lot of time with one?

Definitely interested in this subject. I've been seeing a number of respected SWAT type guys giving it ago. I've always been the guy that eye relief gets the best of as far as finding black when I want to find crosshairs. I'm considering purchasing a Vortex Razor II 1-6 or Steiner T5XI 1-5 for my personal rifle as proof of concept. It would replace a T1, which is what I also run at work. I've held the Vortex in hand. The glass was awesome but it didn't have a battery in it so I couldn't test the reticle. I did experience some eye relief issues but think it would be mitigated being mounted to a rifle and obtaining a good cheek weld. Are you guys getting good enough on these that you'd do room entries with one? Is my eye relief issue something I can train out.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
Sorry, been providing info on this to the fb groups. T5 is what's up and I will be making it my duty optic next year and that includes entries. Only suck is the dot has some distortion under NVG. Which makes me wonder if the M5 is better for that.

NickDrak

Amateur
Definitely interested in this subject. I've been seeing a number of respected SWAT type guys giving it ago. I've always been the guy that eye relief gets the best of as far as finding black when I want to find crosshairs. I'm considering purchasing a Vortex Razor II 1-6 or Steiner T5XI 1-5 for my personal rifle as proof of concept. It would replace a T1, which is what I also run at work. I've held the Vortex in hand. The glass was awesome but it didn't have a battery in it so I couldn't test the reticle. I did experience some eye relief issues but think it would be mitigated being mounted to a rifle and obtaining a good cheek weld. Are you guys getting good enough on these that you'd do room entries with one? Is my eye relief issue something I can train out.

I've been running the Vortex 1-6x Razor HD for 3 years now. As far as LPV's go the eye relief on the Vortex Razor HD is as good as it gets. I see almost zero difference in my times on CQB distance targets vs any of the red dots I have run (MRO, Eotech, T1 Micro). Just need to set it up properly on your gun with the proper height mount. 1.90" Midwest Industries or Larue 1.93" SPR are the way to go.