Variable optics

Steve F

Sentinel Concepts
trijicon cog 1-6 great glass, awesome eye relief daytime brightness is one of the best i have used
down side its heavy ok compared to others not that bad 23-24 oz integral mount
i have used it with a larue mount for cog as well
runs off a AA easy to access and change good reticle choices

ptrlcop

Established
After the Scoped Carbine course I just took- I have a different opinion now about magnified optics for patrol rifles.

I ran a Nightforce 2.5-10 as my primary optic and a Trijicon RMR06 as the secondary optic at 1 o'clock. Far more expensive, but I could do everything within the realm of LE application using 5.56 with that combination. Very fast, very effective - it makes me seriously reconsider my current patrol setup.

Which size 2.5-10 were you using, which reticle? I have the 42 on my sniper rifle and the 32 on my .270 hunting rifle. Great Optics.

I really wish I could get a 24 with the mil-r reticle in it for a carbine.

Anything you would change about your set up you had? Pic of the rifle?

Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better

SonOfLiberty

Amateur
Just curious for guys that have a lot of time on low power variables. Is daylight bright illumination really needed? I mean, if it is bright enough to wash out the illum I would think the reticle will be plenty visible.

ptrlcop I found over the weekend at the Defoor class shooting dark colored steel that even without illum it was still easy to get hits on rapid strings of fire. Hell, at night or in low light the WML will backlight the reticle so much I won't even bother turning it on. Like Zach said, the CQ mil reticle acts like an Eotech up close, but allows to you still range and hit further at distance. I found that with a 100 yard zero and 55 gr m193 out of a 16" barrel the mil stadia lined up almost perfect for 100-750 yards per the ballistic calculator. I'll put it to the test next weekend when I get out to the KD range.

Zach

One thing that I forgot to touch on about the CQ reticle is that it actually makes holdovers at sub 100 yards a snap. The 400 yard dot is my sub 25 holdover, between the 100 and 200 is my 50 holdover, and from ~75 onward I simply use the main dot.

ptrlcop

Established
One thing that I forgot to touch on about the CQ reticle is that it actually makes holdovers at sub 100 yards a snap. The 400 yard dot is my sub 25 holdover, between the 100 and 200 is my 50 holdover, and from ~75 onward I simply use the main dot.
That's good info. I think being able to put shots dead on (not guesstimate) within 100yds may be one of the true values of a LE DMR in hasty HR responses.

ASH556

After the Scoped Carbine course I just took- I have a different opinion now about magnified optics for patrol rifles.

I ran a Nightforce 2.5-10 as my primary optic and a Trijicon RMR06 as the secondary optic at 1 o'clock. Far more expensive, but I could do everything within the realm of LE application using 5.56 with that combination. Very fast, very effective - it makes me seriously reconsider my current patrol setup.
I'm sure it all comes back to personal preference, but i'm curious what mount you're using for the RMR. I tried a similar setup (albeit with a Docter vs RMR) on the Larue offset ring mount and found it virtually un-usable. I'm thinking it's a matter of either offset or up would work, but not both. The Larue I was using created the need to move both offset and up from your normal cheekweld and I couldn't make it work.
Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr

I also currently feel that when discussing such things, one has to define the purpose of the rifle. Is it primarily a precision rifle with some CQB type capability or is it primarily a CQB type rifle with some precision capability? I think there's a stark difference between the two. In my opinion/experience, the former calls for a higher power magnified optic, mil/moa-based reticle, and an offset dot or visible laser (I've found I prefer a visible laser to an offset dot on such a setup). The latter looks more like a low power variable in the 1-4/6 range with capped turrets and some sort of a bold/illuminated reticle with holdover points. Offset irons are also not a bad idea on such a setup.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
After the course I just took, offset irons would be too slow for me.

My setup is longer range is primary use, with the ability to do cqb type stuff.

My offset was a Trijicon RMR06 with the mount being the Daniel Defense 1 o'clock offset rail - https://danieldefense.com/1-o-clock-offset-rail-1071.html

It was very fast to transition from primary to secondary optic, and no changing the cheek weld - just rotated the gun.

JekPokins

Amateur
Just curious for guys that have a lot of time on low power variables. Is daylight bright illumination really needed? I mean, if it is bright enough to wash out the illum I would think the reticle will be plenty visible.

For my purposes/ wants/ perceived needs yes, it matters and is needed to get max performance. With a bright dot/ reticle (I prefer a dot) a 1-x will do everything a RDS or holographic sight will do, and do it just as fast.
Without the illumination the reticle will certainly work, but I found in my experience that my eye was trying to work from the whole reticle down to the coarse aiming point, then further to the precise aiming point. How/ what portions of a the reticle illuminates maybe an equally if not more important piece of the discussion.

M118LR

Have had a NF 1-4, Vortex 1-4, and the primary arms 1-6.

NF 1-4 was awesome. Ran it on my gun doing work in Iraq for about a year. Solid scope with the only complaint being that I got the FC-2 reticle which to me was near worthless as I prefer mildots/hashs etc.. Low power didnt get any fisheye and clarity was excellent, I dont worry about weight unless its very disproportionate. Illumination was rarely used but i've found that illum on these scopes is useful to see the reticle on a dark surface where you might loose it.

Vortex 1-4 is still in use on my personal gun. Been great with no issues. Things I would change, capped turrets and better illum. No fisheye that bothers me(there is some) but nothing that is distracting.

Primary arms 1-6, took it out of the box and looked through it, put it back in the box and sold it that day. 1x is absolutely horrible, fish eye lens like a 90s rap video and eye relief was more difficult to get than the vortex or NF. Also not a fan of BDC reticles in general.

The new vortex 1-6 looks and reads to be the same scope from Primary arms but with Vortex badges... so the extra cost is the warranty piece of mind I guess.

I only scanned this as I am not a big believer in variables on patrol rifles used for entries. Normally there is not time to change power settings except in comps.

Anyway, have any of you used the ELCAN SpectrDR Tactical switch power? The one we messed with also changed reticles.

Just curious, we normally ran red dots with magnifiers rather than variables.

Thoughts?

SonOfLiberty

Amateur
Richard, couldn't you just leave it at 1x and dial it up if you needed it? If you have time to grab and twist or flip the magnifier out of the way you would have enough time to switch the power on the variable.

Yes I do, but guys have varibles and only use 2 powers normally, bottom and top powers. So instead of twisting, just flip a switch. It is actually faster and you know you are on the higher power.

Also with teh seitch there is less movement and if on target less chance fo coming off target.

Just some thoughts.

Mikey Strauss

United States Postal Service Wat Cop
I’m currently doing a T&E on a Bushnell Tactical Elite 1-6.5 in a Larue mount. I’ve been using Aimpoints for many years and its what I’m used to so once I got the Bushnell and zeroed it on my duty rifle (556 Colt Commando 11.5) I took it down to the DARC LECTC 2 class a week ago to put it through its paces and see if I could make it work in a CQB enviroment and too my surprise it functioned flawlessly for me, was fast on the presentation and I had zero issues picking up the reticle illuminated or not.

YMMV but so far i think Bushnell has done a great job with this magnified optic.

Mikey

adam_s

I’m currently doing a T&E on a Bushnell Tactical Elite 1-6.5 in a Larue mount. I’ve been using Aimpoints for many years and its what I’m used to so once I got the Bushnell and zeroed it on my duty rifle (556 Colt Commando 11.5) I took it down to the DARC LECTC 2 class a week ago to put it through its paces and see if I could make it work in a CQB enviroment and too my surprise it functioned flawlessly for me, was fast on the presentation and I had zero issues picking up the reticle illuminated or not.

YMMV but so far i think Bushnell has done a great job with this magnified optic.

Mikey
Mikey-Which Bushnell 1-6.5 are you testing? I saw they have an FFP version, SFP version, and one that seems to be a hybrid, with the reticle FFP, and the dot SFP. I'm rather curious about the hybrid/dual plane version.
FFP: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-6-5x-24mm-illuminated-btr-1
SFP: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-6-5x-24mm-illuminated-btr-1-sfp
Dual Plane: http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-6-5x-25mm

K.O.A.M.

Amateur
I'm watching this thread with interest. I just purchased a S&B 1x4 Short Dot. I have zero experience with adjustable magnification optics, so I need to figure out how it works in a practical aspect.

tacweapon

I'm watching this one with interest also. I have been contemplating switching my T-1 over to a variable scope on my 12.5in for a while now since I just cant seem to get it to work as well as I would like with my astigmatism. In the past I tried the Gen 1 Burris XTR 1-4x24 but had an issue with fish eye and the eye box with my non-dominant eye.

I am looking at the SWFA SS HD 1-4x24 Does anyone have any experience with this optic
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48362.aspx

kyler801

Another person here watching this forun with great interest. Always been thinking that a red dot/reflex is all id want/need on a 16" ar. These opinions changed as soon as ive shot at 200 yds + with magnification vs. Without and in not so optimal shooting positions. Been mainly looking at the vortex crossfire II 1-4x with vbrite reticle. If i dont get this then ill be getting the strikefire from them. A question, is co witnessing irons with a 1-4 or other low power variables suggested/works? Thanks