Books

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Paul Howe's books (I know its already mentioned but)
Steven Pressfield's books
14 Company - spooks in Northern Ireland
Pete Blaber's The Mission The Men and Me
13 Hours
The Way of Men (also his essay Violence is Golden) by Jack Donovan

JCSpringer

Most books I had to offer have been mentioned. I'm currently working on 48 Laws of Power. A book I didn't see mentioned was Gary Kinder's "Victim: the Other Side of Murder." It is a detailed look at the Hi Fi Radio Shop murder in Ogden, Utah. There are a few more but these are the books I'm thinking on at the moment.
Old school Tom Clancy is what went through puberty on. Without Remorse is still my favorite.

Casey

I second the recommendation for Correia's MHI series. His Grimnoir books are good, too, as is the Dead Six series he coauthored with Mike Kupari.

Nonfiction:
Closure by William Keegan - good look at the WTC recovery mission, written by a PAPD lieutenant
Command and Control by Eric Schlosser - fascinating look at the history of nuclear weapons accidents in the US
Violence of Action by Marty Skovlund - collection of short stories by Rangers
Always Faithful, Always Forward by Dick Couch - inside look at MARSOC (Couch's other books are excellent, too)

Fiction:
Clear by Fire by Josh Hood - military thriller by a former infantryman, similar to Brad Thor and Vince Flynn
Anything by Brad Taylor - series of military thrillers written by a former SF officer
Peter Nealen's American Praetorians series - military thrillers set in a dystopian, not too distant future, written by a former Marine
Anything by Marcus Wynne
Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series
Lee Child's Jack Reacher series
Mark Greaney's Gray Man series

Mike F

Amateur
Recently finished "Unbroken- A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hildebrand. I was skeptical because I had seen the movie previews and did not think the movie looked great. Book was awesome and inspiring. Movie was decent too.

ptrlcop

Established
FREE til Jan 3rd
Happy New Year from Evergreen Mountain! I’m offering a free Kindle download of my book, A Warrior’s Path, Lessons In Leadership. The free download started today and will end on midnight, January 3rd. Please share this with friends and anyone else you believe might want to read my book. Best wishes to everyone for a happy and prosperous 2016.
I'm half way through. This is a very good read.

din

Amateur
The Joe Ledger books by Johnathan Maberry. They are completely ridiculous but pretty entertaining and read fast.

ImBatman

I'm on a boat!
Thirded the recommendation for Larry Correia's MHI series, and I cannot say enough for Dead Six his modern day Clancy-esque setting. It fits in the Cthulhu Mythos, and if that's not recommendation enough I don't know what is.

Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey is truly amazing, as is his Silo Saga.

Elroy

Here are some of my favorites that I reccently read:
Zero K, Don DeLilo
When Breath Becomes Air,Paul Kalanithi

275RLTW

Lots of good ones and yearly reads already mentioned. I'll just add On Asimilation by Leo Jenkins. Anyone and everyone getting out of the military needs to read this. Leo was 3/75 Ranger medic and discusses his troubles after taking off the uniform. Brutally honest, funny, upsetting, and a reminder that there is help for transitioning. Leo has a few other books out as well, Lest We Forget and First Train Out of Denver. Good dude, good writer, and still out drinks me.

KMo1205

A couple I've read recently that I didn't see mentioned already.

Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected, Rory Miller- cop/ prison guard/ contractor and heavy into self defense. Spends a lot of the time talking about how to spot danger in advance and avoid confrontation at all costs. I thought his description of the "monkey dance" was spot on as I've seen it in real life.

Left of Band: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life, in the middle of it right now, but it is a fascinating read.

For fiction, I've really enjoyed Mark Greaney's The Gray Man series and Alan Russell's Burning Man (A Gideon and Sirius Series). Russell's books are about a K9 cop in LA who catches a serial killer but his dog and he are severally burned in the process. The books can be funny at times with his dog as he tries to coop with his new detective job and his PTSD. If you like zombies, D.J. Molles' The Remaining series is pretty good.

MrMurphy

Even if you're not a Star Wars fan, the Republic Commando series (paperback, five titles) is a good read.
War, citizenship, slavery, love, hate, brotherhood, PTSD, family (both the kind you're issued and the kind you acquire)....all in there.

Unlike most SW books, the Jedi have a fairly small role. I describe them as a military series which just happened to be in the SW universe. The author, Karen Traviss, was a Brit in their reserves and spoke to a lot of currently serving guys (including me). I ended up emailing her a thank you and we corresponded for a while. The series has helped a couple of bros who had issues coming back from the war.

Dungeon, Fire and Sword: a good look at the Templar order and just how screwed up the Crusades were in general.

Anything fiction by David Weber and/or John Ringo is generally good, the Honor Harrington series has an entire shelf in my library.
Anything you can find still in print by Teddy Roosevelt is good shit.

My list... tried not to duplicate what was already up.

Tribe by Sebastian Junger
Stalling for Time by Gary Noener
The Gun by CJ Achievers
Shadows of a Forgotten Past by Paul French
Anything by Stephen Hunter (except I,Ripper)
Three Sips Of Gin by Timothy Baxter
Fireforce by Chris Cox
Operation Ivy Bells by Robert Williscroft
Alpha by Greg Rucka
Bravo by Greg Rucka
The Unthinkable , Who survives when disaster strikes , and why. By Amanda Ripley
(Good follow on to DEEP SURVIVAL)
The Trident by Jason Redman
The Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler
Talking Them Through by Rory Miller
What Everbody is Saying by Joe Navarro
The Quiet Professional by Alan Hoe
I will also second anything by Marcus Wynn.

I've got to add " THE REPUBLIC COMMANDOS" to the list. Thanks MrMurphy. I'm already well into book 4 of the 5 and am kinda dreading the finish line. It's going to be like watching the final episode of a favorite tv show.
110% on everything MrMurphy says about the books , but will add that if you are and am, the books fill in a lot of the backstory of the movies.
What tip to MrMurphy because I haven't enjoyed a series of books this much in a long time.