Books

ptrlcop

Established
I know a lot of you guys are pretty well read. Let's start a good reading list. Personally, I'm not necessarily looking for books directly related to tactical stuff because those are easy to find with Google. Yes, I agree Paul Howe's books are good but I'm pretty sure most here are aware of them. I kind of feel the same about recent GWOT books, they are great but I can find those on my own on Amazon.

How about some books that are less well known or tangential to our interests. What about stuff on human performance, learning, philosophy whatever else ya got. Don't even need to be non-fiction, Starship Troopers and Heart of Darkness were both thought provoking for me. Currently reading a biography of Thomas Jefferson, "art of power" which has a lot of good lessons.

A910

The "Badass" trilogy from Ben Thompson are a pretty entertaining reads if you're into history but hate the formal wording of it. (this is the guy who runs the Badass of the Week website.) Pretty much just stories about historical and legendary badasses told in the most politically incorrect way possible.

Honestly I haven't read any actual books in quite a while. Been too busy with smaller articles like medical studies, small unit tactics, strategic theory, terrorism; then of course the follow-up personal research to better understand and accept beneficial or ommit useless information. Any actual books have been about exactly what you wanted to exclude haha.

So other than the Badass series to give my brain a break from all the serious bullshit it has been wading through I haven't read anything other than stuff on Greek/Roman/Norse Mythology. Apparently the Mythological God's and Goddesses were complete and utter assholes to everyone including each other for like 90% of the time. But at least you knew where they stood. Weren't any fuckin' gray areas.

So to answer your question, no. Nothing really productive to add to your reading. But I'm also looking for a good read that isn't an article.

Default.mp3

Established
I know you said you could find GWOT stuff via Amazon, but I figured I'd plug Phil Klay's Redeployment anyway, since it's a work of fiction rather than non-fiction (Klay is a Marine veteran of OIF). Won a lot of awards last year, including the 2014 National Book Award for Fiction. It read to me like a rougher, far less cohesive version of Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as Redeployment was literally a set of short stories, while The Things They Carried had an internal narrative arc.

Here's the shortest of the stories from Redeployment:

"OIF", by Phil Klay

EOD handled the bombs. SSTP treated the wounds. PRP processed the bodies. The 08s fired DPICM. The MAW provided CAS. The 03s patrolled the MSRs. Me and PFC handled the money.

If a sheik supported the ISF, we distributed CERP. If the ESB destroyed a building, we gave fair comp. If the 03s shot a civilian, we paid off the families. That meant leaving the FOB, where it’s safe, and driving the MSRs.

I never wanted to leave the FOB. I never wanted to drive the MSRs or roll with 03s. PFC did. But me, when I got 3400 in boot camp I thought, great. I’d work in an office, be a POG. Be the POG of POGs, and then go to college for business. I didn’t need to get some, I needed to get the GI Bill. But training at BSTS they told me, You better learn this, 3400s go outside the wire. A few months later I was strapped up, M4 in condition 1, surrounded by 03s, backpack full of cash, twitchiest guy in Iraq.

I did 24 missions, some with Marine 03s, some with National Guardsmen from 2/136. My last mission was to AZD. A couple of Iraqis had driven up fast on a TCP. They ignored the EOF, the dazzlers, and the warning shots, and died for it. I’d been promoted to E4 so PFC was taking over consolation payments, but I went with him to give a left-seat right-seat on working off the FOB. PFC always needed his hand held. In the HMMWV it was me, PFC, PV2 Herrera, and SGT Green. Up in the turret on the 240G was SPC Jaegermeir-Schmidt, AKA J-15.

There wasn’t a lot to look at on the MSR south of HB. We scanned for all the different types of IEDs AQI would throw at us. IEDs made of old 122 shells, or C4, or homemade explosives. Chlorine bombs mixed with HE. VBIEDs in burned out cars. SVBIEDs driven by lunatics. IEDs in drainage ditches or dug into the middle of the road. Some in the bodies of dead camels. Others daisy-chained together—one in the open to make you stop, another to kill you where you stand. IEDs everywhere, but most missions, nothing. Even knowing how bad the MSRs were, knowing we could die, we got bored.

PFC said, It’d be cool to get IEDed, long as no one got hurt. J-15 snapped, said, That’s bad juju, that’s worse than eating the Charms in an MRE.

Temp was 121, and I remember bitching about the AC. Then the IED hit.

PV2 swerved and the HMMVW rolled. It wasn’t like the HEAT trainer at Lejeune. JP-8 leaked and caught fire, burning through my MARPATs. Me and SGT Green got out, and then we pulled PV2 out by the straps of his PPE. But PV2 was unconscious, and I ran back for PFC but he was on the side where the IED hit, and it was too late.

PFC’s EYEPRO cracked and warped in the heat. The plastic snaps on his PPE melted. And even though J-15 left his legs behind, at least he got CASEVACed to the SSTP and died on the table. PRP had to wash PFC out with Simple Green and peroxide.

The MLG awarded me a NAM with a V. Don’t see too many 3400s got a NAM with a V. It’s up there next to my CAR and my Purple Heart and my GWOT Expeditionary and my Sea Service and my Good Cookie and my NDS. Even 03s show respect when they see it. But give me a NAM with a V, give me the Medal of Honor, it doesn’t change that I’m still breathing. And when people ask what the NAM is for, I say it’s so I don’t feel bad that I was too slow for PFC.

In boot camp the DIs teach you Medal of Honor stories. Most recipients were KIA. Their families didn’t get a homecoming, they got a CACO knocking on their door. They got SGLI. They got a trip to Dover to see Marines lift the remains out of a C-130. They got a closed casket because IEDs and SAF don’t leave pretty corpses. The DIs tell you these stories over and over, and even a POG like me knows what they mean.

So I tell my family I’m staying in, the GI Bill can wait. And I tell my OIC, Sir, I want to go to OEF. OEF’s where the fight is now. And I tell my girlfriend, OK, leave me. And I tell PFC, I wish it’d been me, even though I don’t mean it.

I’m going to OEF. As a 3400. As a POG, but a POG with experience. I’ll distribute CERP again. I’ll roll with 03s again. And maybe I’ll get IEDed again. But this time, out on the MSRs, I will be terrified.

I will remember the sounds PFC made. I will remember that I was his NCO, so he was my responsibility. And I will remember PFC himself as though I loved him. So I won’t really remember PFC at all—not why I gave him low PRO/CONs, not why I told him he’d never make E4.

Instead, I will remember that our HMMWV had 5 PX. That the SITREP was 2 KIA, 3 WIA. That KIA means they gave everything. That WIA means I didn’t.

regdudedrtyjob

Gates of Fire. Changed my perspective on true courage as it relates to a warrior elite, and also what a true leader does and is to his men.

"His was not, I could see now, the heroism of an Achilles. He was not a superman who waded invulnerably into the slaughter, single-handedly slaying the foe by the myriads. He was just a man doing a job... A job whose objective could be boiled down to the single understatement, as he did at the Hot Gates on the morning he died, of "performing the commonplace under uncommonplace conditions.""

Gates of Fire, pg.112-113

In another part of the book it also talks about how this same character's (Dienekes) job is to know when to reign in his men, or when to get them pumped up to do man shit. The hard part was knowing when to do that, and that's why he was so respected by his men, but also Sparta and to a lesser extent, Greece.

N

nate89

I have read a few of the classic political science and econ books that have really helped me out and got me thinking. The nice part is most of them are past copyright and can be found either electronically online for free, or very cheap in paperback form. Wealth of Nations is good, as is Democracy in America. I also like the writings of Madison, Jefferson, etc. Ben Franklin's autobiography is fairly interesting, and has some humor if you look for it. The Prince is a quick read, but you can think about it for a long time. The list can go on.

ptrlcop

Established
Here are some good cop ones that give you some perspective if you think your PD is fucked up:

Seven Shots: An NYPD Raid on a Terrorist Cell and Its Aftermath http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Shots-NYPD-Terrorist-Aftermath/dp/0226360903

Circle of Six: The True Story of New York's Most Notorious Cop Killer and the Cop Who Risked Everything to Catch Him http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Six-Notorious-Killer-Everything/dp/1932857850

Target Blue: An Insider's View of the N.Y.P.D. http://www.amazon.com/Target-Blue-Insiders-View-N-Y-P-D/dp/044008489X

Even though those books really piss you off when you read them, they helped me realize I don't got it all that bad.

ptrlcop

Established
Some thinkers about success and the mental game.

With Winning in Mind 3rd. Ed. http://www.amazon.com/With-Winning-Mind-3rd-Ed/dp/1934324264

Outliers: The Story of Success http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story-Success-Malcolm-Gladwell/dp/0316017930

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking http://www.amazon.com/Blink-The-Power-Thinking-Without/dp/0316010669

Some other favorites:

A Rifleman Went to War http://www.amazon.com/Rifleman-Went-War-Herbert-McBride/dp/1614271674

The Emma Gees http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1603862323/ref=pd_aw_fbt__b_img_2?refRID=0H246TRFA35953FBGJF3

Everything I've read from Stephen Pressfield has been good. The profession might be my favorite.

I went through a phase when I was in Iraq where I read as much as I could about SOG in Vietnam

This was by far the best one I read on the topic- http://www.amazon.com/Sog-Secret-Am...=UTF8&qid=1426294862&sr=8-1&keywords=sog+book
SOG The secret wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam- This book changed my whole perspective on the Vietnam war because at that point I thought most soldiers didn't want to be over there ala "Platoon". I couldn't put this book down.

It was during this phase I also came across a fiction book called "Sympathy for the Devil" by Kent Anderson. A story of an SF soldier during Vietnam from his perspective. It wasn't until years later that I came across a sequel to the book called "Night Dogs" in which the same soldier became a police officer in the city of Seattle (I think). I also found out Kent Anderson had filled both those roles in his life and you can tell when you read the books.
http://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Devi...294811&sr=1-3&keywords=sympathy+for+the+devil
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Dogs-Ke...d_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HYFGV9Z4GNCWSER76W1

Ill also echo "Gates of Fire" as stated above. Very motivational book! Especially when you read it in a combat zone!

KMo1205

Gates of Fire is by Steven Pressfield is one of my favorite books of all time. Even my wife really enjoyed it.

Brad Thor is my favorite nonfiction, read in a day or two type of fun reading author. Some of his latest, Full Black, Act of War, Black List are quite thought provoking as how America is vulnerable.

Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton is a great account of what SF did in Afganistan and very interesting read.

The 5000 Year Leap is a great book about understanding the process and the context of the framers of the constitution.

Also really enjoyed 1984 by George Orwell as a classic political thriller. Though dated, it has a lot of relevance to today's use of technology and role of government in everyday life.

Jackrabbit

V for Vendetta and Watchmen are both great reads, tore through them in a couple of days each.

The Art of Deception-- fantastic piece on understanding rhetoric and argument.

The Memory Book-- a little cheesy but life changing in application.

Killing Pablo-- had no idea Escobar was such a big deal, and the intel challenges they faced in trying to catch him are fascinating.

Shooting to Live-- Tactics and equipment change, principles don't. Fairbairn and Sykes were ahead of their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rilimva

Amateur
In addition to the ones already mentioned
-Leadership in the shadows, Kyle Lamb
-Bush War Operator, AJ Blaam
-The mission the men and me, Pete Blaber
-Sentienl and TAPS, Pat McNamara
-The Beemer detail, Frank Gallagher
-Spec Ops, McRaven
-Kill bin laden, dalton fury
-Modern American snipers, Chris Martin
-Maratime Sniper manual, Jonsson

Keep the suggestions coming folks!

KMo1205

Anyone read anything really good about the Revolutionary War? I've read 1776 and thought it was pretty good, but any suggestions would be welcomed.

M Atwood

Vendor
One I cannot recommend enough is "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzalez. Perhaps the best "survival mindset" book I've ever read. Not a techniques book, but a thinking book; Very well written and compelling, with both interesting and meaningful stories, and a great distillation of lessons learned.
I can't think of a more important book that I've read in the last several years (to me, as a remote/wilderness professional, survival instructor, mountain junkie, etc), but I also think there is a lot of value there across the board for anyone interested in/concerned with survival in any context.

Reactions: din

WUtah

Six Minutes to Freedom by Kurt Muse
Never Surrender by LTG William G. Boykin

The One That Got Away
by Chris Ryan

Five Years to Freedom
by LTC James N. Rowe

Under and Alone by William Queen

Mission: Black List #1 by Eric Maddox

The Raid: The Son Tay Prison Rescue Mission by Benjamin F. Schemmer

The Guerrilla Factory
by Tony Schwalm

+1 for The Mission, the Men, and Me by Pete Blaber

Mick1331

Several on the list are on my must read.

To add to the list:

Alexander by Steven Pressfield.
Level Zero Heroes by Michael Golembesky, it is about MARSOC in Afghanistan.

Fiction wise:
Any of the early stuff by Joseph Wambaugh, the New Centurions, the Blue Knight, etc.
The Game of Thrones series. I'm not much of a fantasy fiction guy, but this series sucked me. And there a some good leadership points in it.