Books

KMo1205

A couple more I just finished.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's a story of a couple of guys in their 40s who decide to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. It's pretty informative if you've ever wanted to hike it and it's also funny as hell, if you set aside the couple times he goes a little hippie on you. Makes me want to hit the trail again.

One Second After by William Forstchen. About a retired Col. turned college professor living in the mountains of North Carolina when the lights go out, permanently. You're led to believe it was an EMP attack over the US. It's well written and a very interesting story.

Nixon

Paul Howe's books (I know its already mentioned but)
Steven Pressfield's books
14 Company - spooks in Northern Ireland
Pete Blaber's The Mission The Men and Me
13 Hours
The Way of Men (also his essay Violence is Golden) by Jack Donovan

Who is the author of 14th Company?

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Who is the author of 14th Company?

27928ecba711a44e4715c0c2da607c3d.jpg

James Rennie. Book is also titled The Operators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonriver

I just finished a Home Security Handbook it explains everything in detail and covers a great deal about self defense.I have a daughter at home and she sometimes have to stay alone at home when I have to travel out of town.I hired a nanny from Toronto to keep her safe while I am gone.She is reading the book right now and tells me that she finds it very instructive.

SCSU74

It was during this phase I also came across a fiction book called "Sympathy for the Devil" by Kent Anderson. A story of an SF soldier during Vietnam from his perspective. It wasn't until years later that I came across a sequel to the book called "Night Dogs" in which the same soldier became a police officer in the city of Seattle (I think). I also found out Kent Anderson had filled both those roles in his life and you can tell when you read the books.
http://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Devi...294811&sr=1-3&keywords=sympathy+for+the+devil
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Dogs-Ke...d_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HYFGV9Z4GNCWSER76W1

Thank you for recommending these, just finished both of them and liked them a lot. Especially Night Dogs, as a police officer I found myself chuckling quite a bit at some of the stories he told.

Elliott

This is my first post on P&S, so far loving all the great information. I read quite a bit and I'm thrilled that there are so many solid recommendations here. Hopefully some of you will enjoy these as well.
Fiction:
The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (This is a fantastic, yet lengthy, fantasy series dealing with duty and obligation among other things. Jordan was a door gunner in Vietnam and attended The Citadel afterward so his descriptions of soldiering are pretty good for a fantasy book)
Black Site by Dalton Fury (This book and it's author need no introduction. RIP)
Black Powder Red Earth Series by Jon Chang/Kane Smith/Josh Taylor (While some of you may not consider comics a form of literature, I assure you these are incredible. The parallels you can draw to current events are striking.)
Blow the House Down by Robert Baer (Ex CIA case officer who will definitely feature in my non fiction section. Interesting take on pre 9/11 events)
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (Really interesting, albeit hard to read at times, horror novel about a house that is bigger inside than out.)
Nonfiction:
Ghost Wars by Steve Coll (2005 Pulitzer Prize winner about our relationship with Afghanistan from the Soviet invasion to the assassination of Ahmad Shah Massoud. One of my favorite books on the subject of the middle east.)
In Afghanistan by Jere Van Dyk (An oldie but a goodie. Interesting look at Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion. It's odd reading about Hekmatyar as a "Freedom Fighter")
Rebel Yell by S.C. Gwynne (One of my favorite biographies. Takes an honest look at Stonewall Jackson, from his genius strategies to his odd personal habits. Make sure you get the right one, though...don't get the one by Jay Quinn...trust me)
Kill Bin Laden by Dalton Fury (This book is great to read before or after Horse Soldiers which I saw mentioned earlier. Chronicles the battle of Tora Bora)
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (Pulitzer Prize winner that tries to explain why some civilizations have thrived and even conquered while others have withered and died)
Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis (Another Pulitzer winner about a handful of our Founding Fathers. It's broken up into short sections that are easy to read and incredibly interesting)
Jim Cirillo's Tales of the Stakeout Squad by Paul Kirchner (Jim Cirillo was an amazing guy and a lot of his larger than life personality and exploits can be found here. The only complaint I ever hear when I loan this out is that it isn't longer)
Verbal Judo by George J. Thompson (This is a must read for anyone looking to up their de-escalation game)

Well that's it for now, I hope people enjoy the suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back with more. I just ordered Sympathy for the Devil and Gates of Fire and I'm sure they'll be great.

Joe _K

Established
The Bible
Anything by:
- Bing West
- Stephen Pressfield.

Anything on the Marine Corps Commandants Reading List.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi