What are the good choices in Electronic Earpro?

OPTactical

Vendor
I don't carry a version of these yet, we are looking at OC as a possible source (they are high quality, and one of my former employees spoke very highly of them), and I do get gear from Willis, but he can have some very long lead times based on the demand he deals with.

Since everyone loves talking JW: if you don't like John, don't buy his gear. That said, he makes really good gear, he stands 100% behind it, and it's worth the money. I won't address gear industry drama, that's not my lane, I'm a facilitator of gear, not a commentator on lifestyles and company policies and practices. I will make jokes about his watches though, I didn't know timepieces that expensive existed.

OPTactical

Vendor
Addressing the original post, not the headband: Peltor, all the way, enough so that I bought my own $600 ACH headset. I used them on OIF, OEF and still use a set on the range. My MSA's caused me so much literal pain in OIF that I had to switch. I am currently working on becoming a Peltor Dealer.

Reactions: din

Dave_M

I prefer the Comtac series, though I would recommend getting the gel inserts. It's like an angel's vagina is cupping your ears.

Good audio quality and the directional detection in particular is very good. Want to make them go crazy? Wear them while urinating into water. They'll shut on and off randomly during that process.

adam_s

Does anyone have any opinion or experience with in-ear electronic earpro systems? I've got a set of TCI DHEP's, which are great-but, I've found myself really liking the reduced bulk of Surefire's EP3's. If I could get something like those, but in an active, electronic system...I'd be exceedingly happy.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I used Nacres for a minute. I went back to over the ear and now over the ear and helmet mounted.

22Mike

Are lithium batteries required for Sordins to work reliably? Cause the ones we have at work sit in a conex since we can't seem to get them to even turn on reliabily.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Are lithium batteries required for Sordins to work reliably? Cause the ones we have at work sit in a conex since we can't seem to get them to even turn on reliabily.

Not required, but I use lithiums in everything I care about (lights, optics, GPS, etc.); alkaline don't last long in hot or cold weather, and most places have one or the other (if not both).

For what it's worth, I've HEARD (this is not first-hand experience) Sordins can get messed up if not allowed to dry out between uses (rain or heavy sweat can corrode electronics in ear cups). Maybe one of our more electronic-friendly residents can confirm/deny.

Tropleo

I use a set of TCI DEHP's with gel seals for non helmet range use. When I am wearing a helmet I have a set of TCI Lib II's with gel seals that are ARC attached. I have zero complaints with either and think they are worth their weight in gold. Regardless, GET THE GEL SEALS!!! ANGEL VAGINA IS NO JOKE. Also, if I'm shooting indoors I use foamies under the headset for additional protection.