What are the good choices in Electronic Earpro?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X for me with upgraded gels. They have lasted 6-7 years. Good battery life.

I acquired a similar pair that are mounted to my helmet.

truck91

I have a couple sets of Comtac IIIs with upgraded gels. A behind the neck model and another I run on my helmet. Tried a Sordin Supreme headset for a little while, but my Comtacs felt more comfortable to me. Good battery life, and they have proved to be pretty durable. Lots of direct, close range dead checks to them from Sims/UTMs. Not a scratch yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jorge5811

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X for me with upgraded gels. They have lasted 6-7 years. Good battery life.

I acquired a similar pair that are mounted to my helmet.

Same here, but I have had to send mine in twice for repairs. The first time the battery compartment had to be replaced, the second time they had to replace the circuit board because the muffs were amplifying the sound of gunfire. Since the second repair a few years ago I haven't had an issue.

RICKDAWGGG

Industry Nobody
Staff member
I prefer the sound quality of the Sordins and they fit better under a standard ACH, but my Comtac 2's fit better over my giant flappers so long term, they are more comfy. I also like that the Comtac has a removable mic. I've thrashed both and they keep coming back for more.

jnelson

CBRN Guy
I have a set of Sordin Supreme Pro's and two sets of Peltor ComTac ACH's. I run the Peltor's religiously and my daughter ran the Sordin's until I got her a pair of Peltor Tac 100's for Xmas. The Sordin's are much too finicky and the Peltor's have been outstanding, plus they run really well when connected to my Avon FM53 through an Atlantic Signal Comms Cable Kit. Peltor also has a 2-pin to 2-pin connector that does almost the same thing and is a bit more cost effective, if you can find one.

regdudedrtyjob

My pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports have held up well for 5 years, still on the first set of batteries. For about $60, I think they have held up well. I haven't done any indoor/CQB stuff with them, so I don't know how that would affect them. I would be interested in buying Sordins or Peltors in the future.

Lobsterclaw207

Nobody has mentioned TCI DEHP's? I've had mine about a year and at about $330 on sale they were worth every penny. Gel insert upgrade too. I have the behind the ear model but they still didn't fit under my MICH style helmet (I think it's a MICH, I've never been good at helmet ID) and I have a large head.

We are supposedly behind issued the comm-ready version of DEHP's soon, so I plan to grab some SARA adapters and mount the issued ones to the new issued helmet, and keep my DEHP for non-helmeted range use.

jwramp

Bird's Eye View
Nobody has mentioned TCI DEHP's? I've had mine about a year and at about $330 on sale they were worth every penny. Gel insert upgrade too. I have the behind the ear model but they still didn't fit under my MICH style helmet (I think it's a MICH, I've never been good at helmet ID) and I have a large head.

We are supposedly behind issued the comm-ready version of DEHP's soon, so I plan to grab some SARA adapters and mount the issued ones to the new issued helmet, and keep my DEHP for non-helmeted range use.
+1 for the TCIs. Same here, waited for a sale and got the gel cups. They're amazing and battery life has been great. I run the behind-the-head band and it works fine with Ops-Core helmets, I just rotate them a hair to have the headband below my helmet strap.

I have a set of TCIs and just got my wife a set of Peltors with Gels. I like the TCI feel better for me, and they are lower profile. She will be doing almost exclusively pistol work, so no issues there. The TCI circuitry is hands down the best out there in terms of response and clarity.

Grayman

Established
I have a set of Sordins and they were a huge step up over my previous empty 5.56 brass setup... The one thing I find absolutely infuriating about the Sordins is the wind noise amplification. If there is even a slight wind it sounds like I'm in a maelstrom.

I've looked at the TCI or peltor offerings but I hate to drop the coin if I'm not going to see a marked change in sound quality. Can anyone offer some comparo's that might help me justify the expense?

I think wind noise isn't as pronounced in the TCI version. The custom electronics that TCI puts in mitigates this issue a lot. On windy days, I turn the volume down all the way.

The TCI's have a very good attack and release on the limiter function. The attack and release are functions of how quickly the limiter kicks in and how quickly it returns to normal audio amplification mode. The A&R is so tight that you can hit a hammer in a warehouse, it will cut the actual impact noise, but you can hear the echoes (I had a good time blowing coworkers' minds at one of my old jobs).

Here's the wiki about dynamic range compression and limiting and how it works: electronically.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Limiting

I think if you are going to use the ear pro for heavy recreational up to professional use, the TCI's are the answer. Buy once, cry once... I have an older (pre-safariland) model. I am thinking about picking up a spare set to evaluate the new electronics. At $400, that should tell you something (especially since I don't shoot professionally, but do a lot of home renovation).

Grayman

Established
On a separate note has anyone used the peltor IV's???

Seems like a strange design... $600+ makes it way out of my scope but I'm very curious as to end user impressions

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I learned something SUPER interesting yesterday.

If you have busted Sordins, contact TSSI. They can repair/refurb them. A buddy had a set that didn't work anymore; TSSI fixed them and sent them back with upgrades (gel seals, new hygiene kit, etc.) for $125 (I think).

Compare that to the $300 I got quoted from Sordin to fix a set...

Dr. No

I picked up a set of TCI Lib 2's (legit and brand new) off ebay for $250. Seriously I felt like I fucking sold them. Since then I've mounted them on my helmet using the iron forged concepts adapters and they are the fucking cats ass. My only complaint is that they amplify engine noise on our armored trucks, but with the helmet mount I can just pop one (or both) cups and ignore it.

Curt

Amateur
Speaking of such...if you were in the market for a headband cover for a headset where would you go?