Weapon lights handgun duty or edc

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Noah Tramposh
March 14

Weapon lights. Specifically handgun. Duty or edc, what do you use/like.

"}" data-reactid=".sd" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · Comment · 647

Tricks

Amateur
I run TLR-1 HL on two of my handguns. One has be on a gun for over 20,000 rounds with out a problem with the light .

DanielC63

TLR1 on my issued M&P 40, which I often carry off duty w light attached. If I'm being honest, the light was bought early in my career and was only chosen over the X300 because of price. It's worked sufficiently well over the last 6 years, however after playing with a friend's Surefire WML I realize the "buy once, cry once" rule holds true.

I also have a TLR-1 on my home defense pistol and a TLR3 on my alternate off duty carry pistol.

voodoo_man

Established
Ran a TRL1s on my duty G21 (before I went back to 9mm) for a few years. Good light, though anything over 100 lumen will blind you inside on a white wall.

TLR1s also takes more rechargeable batteries (wide range/variety) than the SF (or so I've been told).

Currently use in EDC role an Inforce APL but am looking at changing to either a U-boat or TLR-1 HL depending on money when it's time.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
Specifically, the statement that anything over 100 lumens will blind you inside on a white wall? If you're joking, I get it. If you're being serious, you are mistaken.

voodoo_man

Established
Specifically, the statement that anything over 100 lumens will blind you inside on a white wall? If you're joking, I get it. If you're being serious, you are mistaken.

*It blinded me when I used anything over 100 lumens.

Didn't mean it as absolute, just posting my experience in pitch black rooms shining a light of over 100 lumens (my first issued duty flashlight was a non-LED streamlight stinger, which I think listed at 100 lumens or so) at a white wall from about 5 feet away, gave me whitewash.

TheTick

*It blinded me when I used anything over 100 lumens.

Didn't mean it as absolute, just posting my experience in pitch black rooms shining a light of over 100 lumens (my first issued duty flashlight was a non-LED streamlight stinger, which I think listed at 100 lumens or so) at a white wall from about 5 feet away, gave me whitewash.

Looking over your sights when searching naturally drops the muzzle of your weapon which then shines the light towards the floor and keeps you from blinding yourself. High lumen lights have plenty of splash to effectively search this way. I regularly use a 750 lumen protac hl mounted to my rifle and don't blind myself. I even used it extensively last night on a job where the turd had all white walls with nothing but a "Come and Take Them" flag on one wall in his bedroom. No issues at all.

The upside is that when you do address someone, 750 lumens blinds the shit out of them even in a room with the lights on. I'll light you up inside a room in the middle of broad daylight to good effect.

ON TOPIC: I use a TLR-1 on my handgun but will be getting an HL next year when my equipment money reloads on January 1.

voodoo_man

Established
I was not clear in what I posted. If you take a light, shine it at a wall, directly a wall that you standing in front of (knowing the wall was there, or not is irrelevant) and you are standing 5 feet away, you will more than likely whitewash yourself temporarily with a high lumen light.

I know how to conduct searches with a light, that's not what I am/was referring to specifically.

JCSpringer

I know I'll catch flak for not running a uboat but I have been using an inforce wml (gen2 the one with the screw mount) and really enjoying it. Now I use it on duty when the brass doesn't look and use a tlr h1 when they do. I run a weapon mounted light at all times. Duty and EDC are essentially the same. Either a glock 22 issue or glock 17 personal.

TheTick

I was not clear in what I posted. If you take a light, shine it at a wall, directly a wall that you standing in front of (knowing the wall was there, or not is irrelevant) and you are standing 5 feet away, you will more than likely whitewash yourself temporarily with a high lumen light.

Gotcha... well.... umm.... don't do that. :)

The only reason I even commented was because, let's face it, there may be some people reading this thread with little to no knowledge and/or experience and may take anything that some people on here write and run with it. From your website, people will correctly deduce that you have your shit together and might possible think you were saying that high(er) lumen lights are no good for home defense/patrol/swat stuff/whatever.

That was my point, which maybe I didn't explain well enough either: higher lumen lights are perfectly fine if you use them correctly.