Ultimate Home Defense Strategy

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Things I've thought about, since it would take presidential secret security to keep you really safe.

Do you have a dog, easily poisoned

Do you have a dog door

Could someone ambush you getting in or out of your garage/driveway?

Could you be easily ambushed while driving or at a red light

Since you are most secure while in your home, could you be brought or flushed out if your power or water shut off, or if there was a fire?

If single or a couple you would hunger down in place but what if there are young children across the house?

What's the balance, with kids, of handgun safety vs accessibility? In a quick access safe? Unchambered? Just hidden and out of reach? Do most cops & civilians have much greater risk from kids accessing them than the time delay of keeping them inaccessible?

Good points to bring up.

I found Pat McNamara's Sentinel book helped me think through these and many more.

Andy Mahina

I have a toddler so the methods as depicted in the images above are kinds hard for me to do.

Our house is very small. In about 10 steps you would have seen the entire thing.

we have a pistol on the top of the entertainment center and on the kitchen counter since that is most likely where we will be if someone chooses our house. They just have to be charged real quick and then bang bang.

MWL

Vendor
I'm not entirely convinced of the practicality of leaving various loaded long arms strewn around your house/apartment compared with say, keeping one with you, and moving it from room to room with you. In the event that you are on the toilet, you have a gun, but now so too do the guys who just came through your front door, and are on route to you via the kitchen and/or lounge. When no one is home, are the guns locked away, or left out?

I'm even less convinced about posting photographs of said guns in their various locations on the internet. The one by the glass door panel appears to me to be quite vulnerable, but I do not know what sort of early warning system you have to alert you to people approaching the door.

Now, having said that, I don't know who you are, or anything about your history or background. So if your training, experience, and situation makes this the best considered option for you, then far be it for me to say otherwise.

I was reminded of a thread on another forum, where a good option for a self defence weapon was considered to be a bit of poo on a stick.

Regards.

Mark

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I have a toddler...

[...]

we have a pistol on the top of the entertainment center and on the kitchen counter since that is most likely where we will be if someone chooses our house. They just have to be charged real quick and then bang bang.

Your home defense plan needs some major upgrading. A toddler will find his/her way onto the counter. It won't be long until they figure out how to rack that slide. You need to rethink it, and soon.

TheTick

My pistol is always with me.

I prefer AR mags and 7-round shotgun cards strewn about the house to catch reloads for whatever long gun I have my hands filled with. I have ZERO issues covering my family's retreat to the master bedroom with the pistol and then coming back if the spirit move me after securing a bigger banger. I think the smartest thing to do though would be hunker down with the family and let the turds steal my shit if they want as long as they don't make the mistake of pushing it too far and coming upstairs. Then, all the good guys are behind me and only bad guys in front, so it would appear an opportune time to utilize 00 Flight Control Buckshot.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
My pistol is always with me.

I prefer AR mags and 7-round shotgun cards strewn about the house to catch reloads for whatever long gun I have my hands filled with. I have ZERO issues covering my family's retreat to the master bedroom with the pistol and then coming back if the spirit move me after securing a bigger banger. I think the smartest thing to do though would be hunker down with the family and let the turds steal my shit if they want as long as they don't make the mistake of pushing it too far and coming upstairs. Then, all the good guys are behind me and only bad guys in front, so it would appear an opportune time to utilize 00 Flight Control Buckshot.

Why flight control? How does it pattern at across-room distances? I've never patterned it out of my guns, but isn't it supposed to hold tighter longer? (hence "flight-control"). Shouldn't you be utilizing the spread of a shotgun blast, not mitigating it? Otherwise, just only load it with slugs.

TheTick

Why flight control? How does it pattern at across-room distances? I've never patterned it out of my guns, but isn't it supposed to hold tighter longer? (hence "flight-control"). Shouldn't you be utilizing the spread of a shotgun blast, not mitigating it? Otherwise, just only load it with slugs.

A few reasons that work for me:

- it's definitely blowing a non-precise hole in someone across the room. I can make precise shots in a room (ie- headshots), but it's making a mess of what's on the receiving end, as intended.

- in my house there are 15+ yard shots possible and I want a round that can kind of do both. I have a larger house with some property, but a miss with a rifled slug is going to cause issues for my neighbors.

- this round is the duty buckshot round at my place so I shoot it often and am comfortable with it and what it will do at several distances. I am also afforded a reasonable amount of it for free. I bought a case for myself, but some duty rounds are provided for weapons that we qualify with.

- if it came down to wanting the precision of the slug, I would just grab my rifle. The buckshot round pattern out of my shotgun is starting it's spread at the longer distances in my home.

It's just what works for me, like Roland's rifle next to his shitter.

But, my first instinct is to grab my rifle anyway. If I was home alone, I might grab my shotgun, but instincts are instincts.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Hey, I can 100% get behind quality ammo being provided for free in your gun, especially if it's an ammo you train with and use regularly. Out of curiosity, how does it pattern your house's different distances?

jake0331

Are you gonna have enough time to throw on a gas mask? If not, you're in the same position as those who wanna flak up before doing a 1 man clear of their house, i.e. Nogo.
Remember, house jackings dont exclusively happen in the middle of the night and you're not gonna be immediately aware enough to gear up.

My whole thing is wherever I'm sleeping, i grab the closest weapon to me and do any work that's necessary. But i don't sleep in a house every night because of travel and such. I don't have the ability to prestage for a massive firefight every i am.

Not saying anybody is wrong. Just food for thought

Flash22

I did the whole guns everywhere in the house thing for a while last year after being the target of a shitbirds brother I shot it out with. The threat was credible and after it was dealt with I broke down Fort Pollock and went back to having a pistol and rifle readily accessible, but out of sight. Not only was having a small child in the house a concern, but the prospect of theft as well. I'm not a fan of keeping the work car outside and keep it in the garage not to advertise.

I've had to locate the pistol from the night stand to a top dresser drawer due to my daughter and have been been looking at those biometric safes. Thought was to still keep the duty blaster near by when turning in since I use it daily but use the safe for a permanent bedside gun.

Anyone have experience with these type of quick access safes and can add any thoughts?

MrMurphy

I have a Gunvault pistol safe. I use it every day for my duty and backup guns plus significant others carry gun due to small kids being around...and yes, they get into things you wouldnt believe.

Mine isnt biometric but the "handprint" combo type. I can and have accessed it in about 2 seconds from a sound sleep.

Flash22

I have a Gunvault pistol safe. I use it every day for my duty and backup guns plus significant others carry gun due to small kids being around...and yes, they get into things you wouldnt believe.

Mine isnt biometric but the "handprint" combo type. I can and have accessed it in about 2 seconds from a sound sleep.

Yeah those were the ones I was looking at since the Key slot is in the front. I like the convince of electronics but don't trust them. Do those have enough heft to set on top of a nightstand without out easily sliding off or being toted away by a 2 year old?

Thanks for the input.

Darth Tater

I'm more worried about retribution for my career choice. So I would expect 2-4 guys with rifles and/or shotguns. If they are smart the will just hit me with a guage through a window after spotting me through crack in the blinds or something. If they go the smash in the front and back door at the same time route, i'm gonna get 1 or 2 before they hit the kill switch, more if I have time to bleed out.

That's my concern. I have a different career, but I've made a lot of people angry. I've put a lot of people's brothers, fathers, and homeys away for 25 to life. While public records are shielded in my AO, commercial data mining makes it very hard to disappear, especially when you are established in a community with a family. I've caught PIs twice conducting surveillance from the only point you can get an eye on my house.

My biggest areas of vulnerability are mobile and choke-point related as well. My workplace has non-controlled parking and virtually zero exterior security save cameras. My neighborhood has two entrances/exits. The VI attempt makes me giggle...I am not a car guy, but I can do some evasive and offensive driving like a mofo. I cruise in an unmarked vehicle/rolling armory that I don't have to pay to repair.

I'm switched on going in and out of the office. I have pretty good SA and surveillance detection skills. I'll run an SDR if I need it. My family has immediate action plans both for the house and out in public that we review periodically. Case in point, we went to Disney World last weekend. We did a IAD and contingency review before we ever arrived.

In the 90s I lived in Miami during a time when gangbangers were following random cars home and home invading them in the driveway. Most of the victims were being killed in their doorways. I had a carload of bangers follow me home one night, but I got the drop on them before they could get out of the car, and chased them off. That was a hell of a lesson about situational awareness, and learning occurred. Almost two decades later of training and experience...I still reflect on that day.

M80Ball

That's my concern. I have a different career, but I've made a lot of people angry. I've put a lot of people's brothers, fathers, and homeys away for 25 to life. While public records are shielded in my AO, commercial data mining makes it very hard to disappear, especially when you are established in a community with a family. I've caught PIs twice conducting surveillance from the only point you can get an eye on my house.

My biggest areas of vulnerability are mobile and choke-point related as well. My workplace has non-controlled parking and virtually zero exterior security save cameras. My neighborhood has two entrances/exits. The VI attempt makes me giggle...I am not a car guy, but I can do some evasive and offensive driving like a mofo. I cruise in an unmarked vehicle/rolling armory that I don't have to pay to repair.

I'm switched on going in and out of the office. I have pretty good SA and surveillance detection skills. I'll run an SDR if I need it. My family has immediate action plans both for the house and out in public that we review periodically. Case in point, we went to Disney World last weekend. We did a IAD and contingency review before we ever arrived.

In the 90s I lived in Miami during a time when gangbangers were following random cars home and home invading them in the driveway. Most of the victims were being killed in their doorways. I had a carload of bangers follow me home one night, but I got the drop on them before they could get out of the car, and chased them off. That was a hell of a lesson about situational awareness, and learning occurred. Almost two decades later of training and experience...I still reflect on that day.
Can you elaborate a bit more on what happened in Miami? What were the specifics?

Dr. Cornwallis

Shitter Gun
775ea34492fd50737e30ad4e5981370a.jpg

See the pattern?

AR-15's kill people. They are not modern sporting rifles, they are slicked up to effeiently kill human beings. Embrace them for the death machines that they are.

Makes me feel better I'm not the only one who brings his AR-15 to the shitter. I spend at least an hour a day on the thing so, that means that in the event of a home invasion there's about a 1 in 24 chance that's where I'll be.

I've also been saying the same thing for years... it's not a sporting rifle. Gun people seem to have this misplaced, misguided guilt that makes them feel they need to make their rifles out to be something the aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk