Sling Position Pro & Con

patriot_man

I use #4 or a variation depending on what rifle I use.

#4 except the rear QD is on the ejection port side.
I run this method when I have a heavier rifle (scoped, precision) as I always have one arm slung through the sling for these types of rifles. Also I use a heavier and thicker sling for these types of rifles i.e. padded BFG VCAS.

However with a lighter rifle (red dot sight, etc) and a lighter sling (nylon webbing types) I have the sling set up exactly as in #4 and the sling simply around my neck.

Unobtanium

I use "option 2" in order the photos are presented, left to right. I use a VTAC sling, and have found that this allows proper length with it tightened to hold relatively close to my body, and with it let out, to allow me to shoot, perform transitions, use the sling to steady my position, etc. Using other mounting methods, the amount of adjustment available was just not "right". Moving the front mounting point back prevented me from using it to steady my platform. Moving the rear back to the buttstock prevented me from having enough adjustment to let it out to allow me to use it well that way, either.

My evolution was from a single-point (zero weapon control once you transition...that was a terrible TERRIBLE class for my manhood).

To a Magpul MS4 and VTAC hybrid that I created. This led to me QD buttoning when I should have been moving or loading or shooting, and QD buttons...aren't actually QD. You have to make sure they are seated, etc. My rifle almost hit the deck a few times, and neither my eyes nor my body were doing optimal things, but rather, fiddling with the sling.

The VTAC solved these issues, and I finally just manned up and took the time to learn how to come out of the sling smoothly to shoot support side.

KevinB

I use none of the above ;)

2pt sling for everything - but very small PDW stuff
Usually QD on right of stock - but left side it can jump between rear of rail, front of rail, or middle of rail - depending on gun, and main requirement.

I run a VCAS 99% of the time - in a neck loop - I can swing an arm in and stow if need to be, duck out of it if need me too. I can use the weapon as an impact weapon with that sling setup - I can also trap the gun and go to pistol or knife if someone tries to get the long gun.

For PDW type stuff - I will either 1 pt or use something like my old Eagle "james bond" rig that I had for my Sig552
Iraq013.jpg

Under a coat or loose fleece, it disappears ;)

mammynun

#4 for me, but I also attach the rear QD on the ejection port side (I'm right handed). I find transitions to weakside easier. I'll sometimes (rarely) mount the rear QD to the rear of the receiver if I envision converting my 2pt sling to single point.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Have used several of the variants depicted, but now use the upper right version--sling attachments at each end of the weapon.