Sling Position Pro & Con

Mike G

Amateur
Vendor
VIP
I think most people will acknowledge that for most applications a two point sling is the optimum sling for the AR/M4 FOW. It definitely took me a while to get away from single point slings and for certain things I still like the ease of a single point but the cons, for me, of a single point outweigh the pros.

Now, for two point slings there are various setups, I have attached photos of the four most common but I also see variations of attachment to the buttstock.

What do you use and why?

I have most of my guns setup with the sling attached just to the front and rear of the receiver. This allows me to reload, and clear malfunctions easier in my opinion BUT I am trying out other setups because this is probably the least stable way to setup a sling for stowing the gun on your back to use both hands such as when treating a patient, etc and I think there are other limitations to this position but I don't know what I don't know and I am open to other setups.

ETA: Sorry for the shitty cell phone photos but they do communicate the different setups.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 203

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
I can say I have used all four in some form or another. I prefer the sling mounted further out to the muzzle for greater ability to stabilize the muzzle during shooting, but my light/laser combination interferes with that right now, so I have the front attachment at the barrel extension. I have greater versatility with weapon manipulation and movements when the sling is mounted at the castle nut, but I can cinch it down on my back better for handcuffing or other tasks if its mounted to the rear. However, the type of sling also makes a huge difference as to the stability and how tight it can be secured or how loose and maneuverable it is. I currently use a Vickers VCAS on my patrol rifle, but I also have a couple VTAC's.

Sling use and the ability to transition from the slings task of carrying and securing the weapon to creating tension and stability for marksmanship is important to me, and the ability to even switch sling position is a valuable option.

hogarth

Agree with Chad above. I currently use mine like your picture #4. Back of stock makes it easier to cinch down when I need both hands free. Just forward of receiver keeps it out of the way of my non-firing hand, white light, etc.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I use it in attached like the bottom left. Usably to work sling support and bracing against barriers/cover/bumpers/car hoods/etc... by grabbing a fist full of the sling and leaning in to the gun, easy to swim the support arm in clear malfunctions or swap shoulders/ reload, also the big benefit is I can quickly and safely sling it on my back and keep the muzzle oriented in a safe direction for climbing that STAYS on my back. Frank Proctor demonstrated a method of slinging a weapon on your back that orients the muzzle up poking over the shoulder, and the ability to grab it from the muzzle or rail and pull it back to your front while controlling were the muzzle goes.

This is mainly why I have a preference for long rails, and not just for the light/laser benefits, it gives me the ability to mount my sling point as far out as possible.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Outside on rear of stock, around the FSP on a the shooter side of the carbine. Closer to the bottom left than any other as pictured, but still different.

Jackrabbit

Just forward of receiver on left side of rifle, QD cup on right side of stock. I can crank down the sling to keep it close to my body if I need to, and the rear of the sling on the outside of the rifle means it doesn't choke me during a shoulder transition.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 109

Kohr

I run my setup the same as the first picture. I have thoroughly grid all the other sling configurations posted. It is very important to me to be able to transition between shoulders smoothly and without shooting my support arm through the sling. By having the rear sling attached just behind the receiver I don't get choked out by the sling. My rifle is very stable when I tighten the sling up which is also very important to me for my job. If I want it tighter and more stable I rotate the rifle inwards so the grip is pointed upwards and the magazine locks under the sling. I run a VTAC sling.

rob_s

Front attachment forward of the gas block on the weak side, rear attachment on the stock on the strong side.

Front attachment point falls in the web of my weak hand with my thumb over the top and my four fingers untpder the handguard.

"Wear it like a necklace" when I'm shooting, stick an arm through when I'm not. Which arm depends on whether its slung across my chest or across my back. Always muzzle down. Generally using an SOB sling.

I am, however, toying with one of the newer Magpul slings. With the right attachments the same sling can be used for one-point or two-point, at any of the our possible attachment point s, and pretty quickly reconfigured depending on need.

Dr. No

Just forward of receiver on left side of rifle, QD cup on right side of stock. I can crank down the sling to keep it close to my body if I need to, and the rear of the sling on the outside of the rifle means it doesn't choke me during a shoulder transition.

Exactly how I run mine and why. Also seems to keep the rifle tucked in closer to my body when slung and zipped up to go hands on.

I use various slings rigged up different ways for different rifles.

My KISS carbine runs an IDF sling, just a big floppy 2 point.

My RDS carbines run a 2 point , its my own make but much like a Vtac but without the cam buckle, I just run a plastic guide thing. Right side rear of stock and halfway out on the right side of a 15inch handguard. I run it over the head under my left arm unless im in some close confined space, then I take it off my body completely, ill drop it if I have to get to a handgun, or throw it at them. In close quarters where it can be grabbed, I dont want it attached to me, ill just give it to them, I can get to my handgun quicker then they can spin it around. Of course im not in a field that requires clearing lots of rooms or anything like that.

My scoped carbines tend to get a 2 point like a GI M1 garand sling, but a bit longer, so I can use it like a 2 point over the head under the left arm. I can tuck it up pretty tight from that position while standing and use it as a shooting aid, or loop it like a traditional CMP type thing to use while in the field. I dont run bipods on my carbines even though I may have a larger scope on them, it most cases a bipod fully extended wont clear the tall grass and weeds anyway. When shooting rested off a backpack ill run the sling under the pack and rifle over, and lock it down pretty tight, it holds the rifle tentioned down to the pack hile resting on it and seems to make a rock solid rest for me.

Kohr

I completely despise having my sling only around my neck. If you have to go hands on and somebody gets control of your rifle you instantly become their bitch in a very bad way. FOF is very fun when people run that way and embarrasses the hell out of some guys when you beat them silly and take their rifles away.

Kohr

You are in left field this. I have witnessed it in every FOF I've gone to. Combatives is a tool in the tool box but only a part of the game. For me having a sling around my neck only is a very bad idea in close quarters encounters. You can be combatives level 4/bjj/mma master but if somebody who is intent on killing you gets ahold of your gun with just your sling around your neck you are going to have a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
Mine is setup like Jackrabbit, but the front end is all the way forward. I keep it tight enough that it is basically laying on top of support arm. For manipulations and shoulder switches, I drop the ar straight down and wear it like a necklace. When encountering people that dont need shooting, I swim the arm up and wear it like a two point with arm and shoulder through. It's pretty tight for ands on without having to try zip it up.

Kohr

Bad shit happens, tools and techniques mitigate. I'm not the baddest guy on the block but I do train quite a lot. I know my capabilities and limitations. That being said I try my best to not give any unnecessary advantages away to my opponent.

Kohr

Touché and very true. Definitely did not mean it to come across as an absolute but instead my reasoning for the way I run my setup. Typing everything on my phone so forgive me on that.

I train with a lot of great shooters who all run differently, from sling to kit setup and it all works. The key is knowing and understanding what possible the short comings and advantages are for you and making it all work together.

Dr. No

So if you don't run it around your neck, I'm guessing you run it under one arm. If someone gets ahold of your rifle while slung that way they have just as much leverage to fuck your world and throw you around...

Slings are for carrying things, they do not help you to fight. That being said, we generally have to use them because we do a lot more climbing, hand cuffing, LL deploying, shield carrying, DD throwing, etc than we do shooting.

Jackrabbit

I completely despise having my sling only around my neck. If you have to go hands on and somebody gets control of your rifle you instantly become their bitch in a very bad way. FOF is very fun when people run that way and embarrasses the hell out of some guys when you beat them silly and take their rifles away.

I'm wondering what a different sling setup does to mitigate this contingency.

Couple other questions, since I've never run into this in FoF validation:
  • Did the guys you disarmed train in weapons retention specific to rifles/carbines?
    • If so, what worked and what didn't? The ones I've experimented on with blue rifles and a partner are:
      • Jerk the rifle down, then drop to a knee and engage as your opponent counters your movement
      • The swift boot to the thigh/pelvis to create distance if possible.
  • Did you end up in a muzzle up or a muzzle down grapple more often?

KMo1205

I'm going to throw another option in the mix here. I use a Magpul MS3 sling close to both ends of the receiver like in your first picture. When it is in the two point position, I have it long enough that I can easily shoulder my carbine from a down position. I then can transition it to a one point sling if I'm going prone or I know I will be moving around or in and out of vehicles. I feel it gives me the greatest flexibility in how I retain my carbine. Both of these options don't interfere with access to my magazines on my split-front chest rig, however I don't know how it would work for someone wearing armor or a lot of gear on their chest. I typically will run a warbelt with a minimalist chest rig.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
I have used single, two and three point slings over the last three decades. I was so happy to dump/burn the single and three-points. I now stick with the 2-point sling.

I have run and been happy with the VTAC, VCAS, WOTG and SOB 2-points. I don't have an allegiance to any one specifically, but I have noticed that I seem to revert to the VTAC as most user friendly for ME, just a noted preference.

I prefer the Sling attachments at the outermost ends of the carbine. For me that is the rear of the buttstock and somewhere near the muzzle on the fore-end.

VTAC_sling.JPG

This setup allows me the greatest leverage for securing the rifle close to the body without relying on another piece of gear such as a weapons catch or bungee. I can climb, swim, secure subjects and assess casualties all while using the 2-point. I may be wearing plain clothes and a slick rig or full blown barrel chested freedom fighter gear and the sling works with either setup. It is easier to sling over my body if only able to use one handed. It works for me, use what works for you.

A few things that I do specifically and why are based on my experiences. I went away from the QD push button swivels. I managed to QD the swivels off the mount during deployment or training twice. I switched to the Uncle Mikes type QD threaded sling swivels and have loved them for durability and secure connections. I run the entire sling loose when running the gun. It allows me to switch seamlessly from RT to LT and vice versa.

I also prefer a buttstock that has the sling slot on the top of the BS such as VLTOR and stock M4 type stocks. This allows me to back-weave the sling attachment to stay at the top of the BS. This keeps the sling in place with little to no slippage. I could not do this with a sopmod BS
VLTOR_VTAC_sling.JPG