Project Rocinante: Chasing modern handgun perfection with Sig’s quadragenarian workhorse

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well it was worth a try but I’m thinking this thing’s just too big for IWB concealment, at least for someone my size:

2984F49F-6764-40E6-B057-71440768A531.jpeg

1F427BD9-2F49-4951-A662-4F20F01BF330.jpeg

7315A13D-0507-44AC-BF68-AEC711C0D885.jpeg

The weight’s not too bad even with a full mag, so I shouldn’t have any issues once I figure out an OWB setup. With a gun this large I’m tempted to try to figure out a shoulder holster rig, but my wardrobe is never anything that’d be appropriate for that kind of thing.

Oh well, onward and upward

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Up next to try is an OWB Floodlight holster with a Kore Essentials reinforced belt. It won’t be a concealment/carry setup but it’ll at least give me something to use at the range for a bit more dynamic practice than just standing around and shooting

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
For those unfamiliar, this is kind of how my project threads go - there’s a lot of trial and error. Have a thought/idea, see if it works, if it does then great, if not then oh well and move on to what’s next

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
T1C MSP AIWB holster shipped today, and I received the Kore belt I’d ordered.

B2C392B1-53A3-4972-AC66-C15074489DDD.jpeg

We’ll have to see if the Kore or Trayvax belt works better with the MSP holster, but at least I’ve got something to do at the range now besides just making the trigger Wayne Brady’s bitch

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Finally got the T1C MSP holster out of the box - it got delivered yesterday but I was too tired to fuck with it then, so here we are.

837C19C7-8BEC-4652-8FDF-BFF477DEEAE0.jpeg

Like the Phlster Floodlight, the MSP uses a thread of elastic shock cord on the slide side of the pistol while primarily indexing and retaining off the WML to allow a wide variety of different guns with different dimensions to fit. The Roci slips into either holster easily and “clicks” in to both (when properly adjusted).

1C8312C0-802B-49A3-8F3E-4E1B2127FAB3.jpeg

8B2867E7-BE45-468C-899E-7496DAB20B43.jpeg

My observations:

- The MSP holster on a Kore gun belt does seem to conceal a bit better than the Floodlight on the Enigma, though neither holster makes the pistol completely disappear. It seems like the angled belt clips of the MSP either help or better allow the claw to tuck the pistol - particularly the grip - a bit tighter against the body.

1759560A-E8AD-47CC-894C-60A394C5F1C0.jpeg

- The MSP is definitely noticeably more comfortable. I didn’t have to wear the Kore belt nearly as tight to get the gun to conceal just as well. With the Floodlight I really had to crank the Enigma belt down tight to try to get the claw to tuck the gun in. With the MSP it just kind of naturally cinches against your silhouette as you tighten your belt to a reasonable point.

C9319301-A3BE-4F64-A3FA-CE5E4938590F.jpeg

- Neither holster is really that comfortable with this gun, expectedly and unsurprisingly. It’s a fullsize steel-frame pistol with a WML, magwell, and optic; there isn’t an IWB belt-mounted holster that can be made that would allow me to just forget the gun’s there.

89A5C1CD-8B70-4206-8803-9494A0772DC8.jpeg

Between the two for this particular pistol at least I do have to hand it to the T1C MSP for AIWB. It’s not going to be my first choice for those times I do decide to carry this gun (which won’t be every day, I freely admit), but it will be a nice option to have.

The Floodlight is missing hardware because it’s being prepped to integrate into another carry option that will put both the concealment of AIWB and the comfort of drop-leg OWB setups to equal shame, but more on that a bit later…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I have no clue why the last picture is upside down but got tired of fucking with it to try to fix it, so oh well

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
225EA885-E186-4470-AA53-8346DAD0EEC1.jpeg

Changed out the belt attachment on the OWB setup to something a hell of a lot easier to put on/take off at the range, which I should get the opportunity to break in a bit tomorrow.

FA33C1D8-B6CE-4750-ACA5-018F4E68CA02.jpeg

I’ll keep a continued eye out for various other options going forward as well. In my experience when it comes to carry methods, having a wide variety for any particular gun is generally a benefit. More in that regard soon though

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
8F0DE82D-8DDB-4931-A27B-4B3DC785AECC.jpeg

After a hiatus last weekend I made it back to the range for another 250 rounds today, all shot from the OWB holster. It’s smooth and comfortable, works as expected. Still no malfunctions, that’s in 1,750 rounds. I did shoot some more JHPs today, two boxes of Winchester USA Ready 124gr +P from the comped P320 days. The 226 with steel frame is so heavy I can barely tell the difference between the two loads anyway and of course it functioned just fine. Next weekend I’ll try to get some practice in with the MSP from AIWB

A663A48E-2B83-4C5B-9628-07320D2AF927.jpeg

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Every time you post an update I get closer to really looking around for one of these and getting one myself! I'm glad to see it's working well in the IWB holsters. I'm a pretty die hard DA trigger guy, so the SAO isn't a huge selling point for me, but getting to handle one that a fellow competitor brought to my indoor match made me consider it. If I didn't already have about half a dozen other irons in the fire I'd likely already have one. It seems like a "2011 adjacent" option that I already have a bunch of holsters/mags/spare parts for.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Every time you post an update I get closer to really looking around for one of these and getting one myself! I'm glad to see it's working well in the IWB holsters. I'm a pretty die hard DA trigger guy, so the SAO isn't a huge selling point for me, but getting to handle one that a fellow competitor brought to my indoor match made me consider it. If I didn't already have about half a dozen other irons in the fire I'd likely already have one. It seems like a "2011 adjacent" option that I already have a bunch of holsters/mags/spare parts for.

Honestly before I zeroed in on the X-Five is was pretty set on a 2011. The P226 seemed like a more interesting, more reliable, better general-purpose option

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Can’t believe it took me this long to think to break out my photography light box and take some better pictures of this thing.

8048DABC-FFC1-4672-8F5A-0B1EA777793C.jpeg

00E3640C-BEA3-4277-B135-441E0B52E7C6.jpeg

E3A3F175-C461-43DA-9C83-E5C8A5CDDF1A.jpeg

D3205D0B-FDD3-415E-8173-3344A6713EF2.jpeg

Range time over the coming three day weekend will crest 2000 rounds through the Roci, at which point it’ll be time for a detailed disassembly and cleaning. More to come soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A468315C-380C-456C-9E47-BD42C1E452F2.jpeg

A happy Labor Day to you all and a celebration of the first 2,000 malfunction-free rounds! Spent more time today shooting longer distance (20-25 yards) and being a bit more deliberate with my throttle control. I suck at shooting pistols at distance, because I hate shooting pistols at distance, because I suck at it. But, practicing what we’re not good at is how we get better…I guess…

31E6729F-BAD8-423B-A58F-6AC25FD31DA0.jpeg

This is the roughly 150 rounds that I shot past 20 yards today. Still did a bit more close-in rapid fire with the other 100 rounds. This gun honestly makes it really hard not to smack the trigger as fast as possible, but patience is a virtue blah blah blah.

I briefly wiped the gun down when I got home and loaded it back up with HSTs. Later this week I’ll be taking the pistol to my gunsmith to strip it, inspect everything for incorrect wear/breakage, clean it thoroughly, and button it back up. I think after that it’ll be time to try a “X rounds with no cleaning/lube” challenge. Number of rounds still yet to be determined

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Finally had time to get the pistol to my gunsmith today, it’ll be in his capable hands for a bit. He’ll be checking for anything broken or unexpected damage while he takes it down and gets it squeaky clean. Not expecting to see anything though, the gun’s been running like an absolute champ.

Probably will re-up on 147gr FMJ later this week. More to come

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
2,000 more rounds of the Roci’s preferred 147gr FMJ kibble ordered up. I wasn’t running low on pistol pellets, but might as well buy more when I can and have a good stockpile

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The Roci’s back out of dry dock!

A2CC1429-A20C-493C-878B-5DE32FD82DE0.jpeg

And not a moment too soon, given current events…

Lots of range time coming this weekend to make up for lost time

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
@rudukai13 I assume you've seen the legion 226 xfive by now. Having shot your model quite a bit now, and if you were buying again with both options available, would you stick with what you have or go with the legion? It looks like major difference (besides cosmetics) is the slide porting with associated shorter barrel. Although I haven't shot one yet, I shoot with a guy who uses his regularly and he says it returns after recoil better than his 2011. Do you think the legion is worth it over the "base" model?

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I guess on the competition side the legion might not be limited optics eligible, while your would be. I think they would both be good to go in IDPA as they allow comps now (I think, I haven't cared enough to go re-read the latest rule changes).

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
@rudukai13 I assume you've seen the legion 226 xfive by now. Having shot your model quite a bit now, and if you were buying again with both options available, would you stick with what you have or go with the legion? It looks like major difference (besides cosmetics) is the slide porting with associated shorter barrel. Although I haven't shot one yet, I shoot with a guy who uses his regularly and he says it returns after recoil better than his 2011. Do you think the legion is worth it over the "base" model?

I’m not at all a fan of Sig’s “integrally compensated slide” system, which in reality is really nothing more than a bushing compensator. It’s just a way for Sig to half-ass their way into getting the prestige (and MSRP) of selling “compensated” pistols from the factory while saving a shit load of manufacturing time and money. The Legion also uses an aluminum frame, whereas the Classic and Sport variants have stainless steel frames. I like how much the weight of the gun soaks up felt recoil, so the aluminum frame doesn’t particularly excite me either. Much of it is obviously personal preference, but if I were looking at purchasing a P226 X-Five again now that the Legion is available I would still buy the Classic variant.

Once I send mine out to GGI to whip it into an utter masterpiece it’ll put this Legion nonsense to shame ;)