Project Rocinante: Chasing modern handgun perfection with Sig’s quadragenarian workhorse

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Rocinante (Roci): From the Spanish word rocín, meaning “work horse”; The name of Don Quixote’s horse; James Holden’s spaceship in the literary and television series The Expanse.

Work•horse

Noun
- A person or machine that dependably performs hard work over a long period of time.

D557CE95-5551-4423-8B53-8BB615287112.jpeg

Most of you will be somewhat familiar with how my project threads work, given the Sig subforum was the home for my first dedicated project thread on this site detailing and cataloging my misadventures of modifying, shooting, and repairing a series of P320 pistols:

http://primaryandsecondary.com/foru...ing-project-nemesis-p320-roland-special.3790/

It’s been a while since I had a Sig in my hands to vivisect. Some of you may be aware I desecrated a couple revolvers for a while (HERE and HERE), meanwhile putting the spotlight of my general-purpose, do-anything, high-performance pistol attentions briefly towards a Tanfoglio Defiant Limited Master one-centimeter-yeeter (HERE). The Tanfo was very nice, but the “do it for the memes” wore off pretty quick and I got tired of paying nearly a dollar a round for FMJ range ammo, so it was put up for sale and I went searching for my next 9mm victim. I eventually settled on the highest performance variant of Sig’s classic P226, a pistol well know for its long service life among military, law enforcement, and commercial environments.

Per usual, this will be a long-term ongoing thread detailing any modifications, maintenance, repairs, problems, thoughts, brainstorming, or other adventures that take place with [Amos Burton Voice] the Roci [/Amos Burton Voice]. Updates will be fairly random and there may be long periods where the thread goes dormant, but I expect the shooting updates at least to be fairly regular.

As you can see, the pistol has already been set up with an optic (Holosun 508T-GR X2 with a Springer Precision filler plate), WML (Surefire X300U), and extended base pads/11-coil magazine springs (Springer Precision). As far as part modifications for this gun goes, the current plan is that will be about it for roughly the next year. We’ll see if that plan holds up in the long run…

Last Sunday was the first range day for the new pistol, and as is my usual course of action any time I acquire a new gun intended for serious defensive use I had bought about 700 rounds of mixed 115/124/147 grain FMJ and JHP loads to run through it:

98541666-154B-4DE6-9D2C-BB7FDB4A8D38.jpeg

So I loaded down the ammo can, got the Roci dripping with lube like a drunken sorostitute at a Halloweekend frat party, and went off to christen this bitch:

BEAF5933-AFF1-4072-B78F-B47CC6B0A478.jpeg

In a little over an hour I shot 300-some rounds of randomly mixed loads. As was expected from a P226, it never once stumbled, eating every single round without complaint:

18622C17-BFBB-4DE6-BF96-B4EE807E60CB.jpeg

I alternated shooting the target between 5 and 10 yards, and after the first 50 or so rounds I was basically shooting just about as fast as I could bitch slap the trigger face. Here’s the result:

EC3B8F12-443A-4CC2-8532-D1BE902E4818.jpeg

That is all 300-some odd rounds I fired through the gun. It turns out when you buy a gun that weighs 45 ounces stock, then add an optic and WML, then shoot 9mm ammo through it, it barely fuckin moves. As long as I had just about any half-way decent grip pressure on the thing the muzzle barely lifted, the slide just chugs straight back and forward like a sewing machine. Not even my P320 with three-port comp and frame-mounted optic was this flat or soft shooting, and that includes with 124gr NATO loads that I had on hand during this trip.

I’ll finish up shooting the rest of the initial ammo I bought for it next weekend. But as expected, so far, so good.

So, what’s the current plan for this American-made Wunder Neun? 10,000 rounds by this time next year, at which point the pistol - assuming it’s earned the honor - will be sent off to Bruce Gray at Gray Guns Inc (GGI) for a full rebuild and tuning into a master gunsmith masterpiece, after which it’ll take a quick detour to Mk3 Firearms for one of their patented Single-Stage SAO trigger jobs that leaves literally nothing to be desired from a pistol trigger. Then another 10,000 round year after that.

Alright Sig, Custom Shop, and the venerable P226; Let’s see what you can really do :cool:

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Ok, I have a vitally important question for this project from experienced P226 owners…

Who makes a good reliable high capacity magazine for the P226? By high capacity I mean like close to 30 rounds or more

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
C377CACB-2DCB-412A-9A95-A95CB4A9BE3D.jpeg

Took a brief respite from the chaos of moving today and went to the range long enough to finish off the remainder of the mixed weight FMJ/JHP ammo I bought for initial testing. As expected not even a slight hiccup with any of the rounds. This gun makes it way too easy to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger, good thing my local indoor range doesn’t have a one-shot-per-second rule or I’d have gotten yelled at.

1B1874C4-787E-4183-870D-3ADFE2BBE9C6.jpeg

Field stripped the pistol when I got home, wiped everything down with rags and oil, and ran a bore snake through the barrel a few times. Lubed up all the contact points and put it back together, nice and clean and shiny again. I still can’t get over just how smooth the slide is on this thing, even as tight as the fit is on the frame.

E89F85D7-6A4B-49E4-8706-E87BFFD9AD40.jpeg

Next is to bulk order some more FMJ and JHP ammo. I’m thinking either Federal American Eagle or Sig Elite for FMJ, and Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Sig V-Crown - whatever can be found in stock - for JHP, all in 147gr loadings. The optic was roughly bore-sighted when it was installed but I’ll take it to my gunsmith once I have a specific defensive load and have them zero it more precisely at 25 yards.

700 rounds down, 9,300 to go

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
@rudukai13 This is likely my favorite thread of yours to date (and I've really liked several of them!!). Years ago I bought a 226, mostly because a friend of mine got one, and we were both interested in trying a da/sa gun. Long story short, I've basically stuck with the platform for a bit over 10 years now, with my original 226 still going strong after about 35,000 rounds, a dozen classes, dozens of matches, and more dry fire than I could even begin to quantify. I replaced the sights with a set of dawson adjustables with a fiber front (the XD dovetail is the same if you want to get a set), and replaced the recoil spring at about 15k rounds when it broke in half, and literally I have changed no other parts.

Last week a regular at the indoor match I run brought in the same pistol you are working with. While I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, he sold a staccato XC the week after buying the sig if that says anything about how he shot it. While I already have quite a few 226s, I feel like I will inevitably get one of these myself when I can find one for a reasonable price. I don't have much to add on this specific gun, just that I'm glad you will be posting about it, and I can't wait to see how it shakes out!

About your magazine question, I have tried basically every magazine for the 226 out there, and my favorite solution for an extended mag is an 18 round mec gar with a +5 basepad. I have several from taylor freelance and Apex, both have worked well for me. I also use the +10% magazine spring from Wolff. I imagine you could get a different follower and get an extra round or two and lose the mag locking back on empty. For fun I bought one of the long pro-mag (yeah I know, I know) just to see if I could get it to work. Long story short, I couldn't. I tried to measure every critical dimention on that mag to find out where it was having issues, and couldn't find it, the mag just wouldn't work. I replaced springs, followers, basepads, nothing. However, if you put the same basepads on with the wolff follower and mac-gar follower, I think I got somewhere around 27-28 rounds in the mag. The mag was marketed as a 20 rounder, but has a really long mag body. If you wanted to experiment, maybe give that a try. I believe there are also german mags with the zipper back that are extended 20 rounders. I'm sure those work great, and if you could change the follower and add a basepad I'm sure you could get a similar capacity. The factory 20 round mags from sig are reliable and easy to disassemble, but expensive. My preference is the mec-gar 18 rounder, and add basepads and springs as desired. I know the original x-five guns used a proprietary mag with a longer body, but I would suspect the new one can use stock 226 mags.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, but looking forward to your updates!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I was hoping you’d find your way here! I had the opportunity to put my hands on a Staccato XC at my LGS right next to one of the X-Five Sport models before I ordered the Classic, and I’ve had the opportunity to shoot a couple Staccatos before as well. The XC is a nice gun, but not $4,500 nice. And after my first couple range trips with the Roci I can comfortably say it shoots at least as soft, flat, and smooth. And Sig’s been making them in the US for decades, so it’d be pretty difficult to fuck it up at this point. Plus, 2011s are what everyone’s doing these days, and with my nearly psychotic “not the same as everyone else” compulsion, the P226 was the way to go.

The three stock mags that came with the gun are Sig-branded 18-round Mec Gar tubes with +2 basepads to make them 20-rounders. With the Springer base pads and 11-coil springs I’m getting 21-rounds easily reloadable on a closed slide right now. For the time being that’s good enough for me. I’ll find some additional 18-round Mec Gar tubes here soon and play around with some other extensions to see how much MOAR I can get out of this thing, but for now it’s enough

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright, ordered up 2,000 rounds of Federal 147gr FMJ and 500 rounds of 147gr HST LE JHP. Probably won’t get to me in time to go shooting this weekend but I’ll make up for it next weekend, we’re already well ahead of the average weekly round count I’ll need to keep up to hit 10,000 rounds this year. I’ll get the optic more precisely zeroed at 25yds with the HST when it gets here as well.

Building momentum!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Time for an informational update: on my way home from work today I stopped by my LGS to poke around a bit. I was walking through their aisle of magazines and took a look to see if they stocked any P226 mags. Turns out they carry two kinds - flush-fit 15-rounders (Blegh), and the extended basepad 20-round mags. The kind that have a witness hole marked 20:

sigmag226920.jpg

I purchased three of them, expecting I’d have to change the basepads to get them to work with the X-Five magwell. Got home, tried to throw one into the gun as it came out of the box and as expected it wouldn’t seat:

635B90EE-2A9C-4DBA-96DE-0DF28C544B2F.jpeg

No big deal, I figured this would be the case. Pulled the Springer basepad off one of the mags that came with the gun, installed it on the new 20-round tube, and put it in the gun…And it still wouldn’t catch. Pulled the mag out of the pistol, set it on the counter next to one of the Springer extended 18-rounders, and figured out why:

B551E5F2-90E2-4246-A2FB-D1FF1D73DBED.jpeg

18-round tube that came with the gun on the left, 20-round tube on the right. Both mags using Springer Precision extensions.

Turns out the mag catch cutout on the 20-round mag tube is slightly lower on the actual body of the magazine, so it won’t click into place in the X-Five regardless of what basepad is used. I’m not sure if this is a problem with the new style mag release being located slightly differently on the gun, something special to do with the X-Five, or what. Either way, frustrating.

The good news is when I went back to the LGS and explained the issue they happily took back the 20-round mags and special ordered three Mec-Gar marked 18-round magazines straight from Sig. I’m ordering up more extended basepads and 11-coil springs from Springer, so they’ll be ready to go whenever the tubes get here. I had been a bit worried I might not be able to source more magazines for the gun anywhere in-state, but the store informed me they’ll happily special order more magazines any time I want to buy them with no additional mark-up. This is excellent news.

TL;DR: Sig 20-round P226 magazines don’t work in the X-Five, but my LGS can order more Mec-Gar 18-rounders whenever I want. Because MOAR

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
F647625D-6E25-43E2-B369-FDCA898DB176.jpeg

LGS called while I was at work this morning to say the mags they’d special ordered were in. So that’s less than a week from ordering to getting them in hand. The Springer basepads and extended springs are scheduled to be delivered by end of day tomorrow, but already tried putting the ones I currently have on one of the new mag tubes and they fit the gun. Visually the only difference between the mags that came with the gun and these new ones is the stock mags have the Sig Sauer brand on one side, the new ones do not. Everything else is visually identical

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
414C588E-BF26-471F-92AA-4261EDA208F1.jpeg

Optic’s zeroed at 25yds with the 147gr HST LE loads, the new magazines are assembled with Springer base pads and extended springs and function checked. Tomorrow’s range day, got another 300 rounds (100 JHP/200 FMJ) to put through the gun to bring the total for the first month to an even thousand. More soon

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
2AB4D138-73D3-4BBE-A687-96A328F95EDA.jpeg

Range time delayed a day but went first thing this morning. So much better than brunch.

C0DC4558-6157-4CB0-A1B2-E0A408495279.jpeg

300 more problem-free rounds to bring the total to 1,000 for the first month. So far no issues whatsoever, not even a failure to lock back on empty. I’m thinking at some point I’m gonna try a “no cleaning/no lube for X rounds” test and see how much neglect this gun will actually put up with before starting to have issues.

Starting to turn to thoughts of holsters for the pistol. Wanting both an AIWB bucket and a Safariland QLS OWB retention holster, but need to do a bit more research to figure out which OWB holster will work. Probably just go with a Phlster light-bearing Enigma for AIWB, they seem to work well

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
And in “Guess what I noticed while dryfiring tonight” news:

338CC397-17AD-41ED-B3A2-17F85D939ED9.jpeg

I hate fiber optic sights. I’m guessing the light pipe probably melted out during my last range trip when the gun heated up something fierce and I only just noticed it. I was already leaning towards having my gunsmith knock the front sight out anyway, guess that seals it though

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Work got in the way of range time this weekend so nothing for this week. Might make it up after work during the week, my range is open late on weeknights

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I donno if I’ll actually be able to carry this bitch IWB or not, but…

AE14578D-4E2F-4371-B871-A9A874F919A8.jpeg

Fuck it. We’re about to find out

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
DF38AD3B-8EC4-4E94-97B0-8BB54F38E455.jpeg

Found myself with a couple free hours after finishing work a bit early today so I made it to the range to make up for last weekend. That’s another 250 rounds, still with zero malfunctions. It’ll be nice once I have holster setups for this thing so I can practice more than just smacking the trigger like it owes me money.

CCF99CA6-A708-484B-91AC-C160865FA103.jpeg

I gave the gun a quick wipe down, loaded the mag back up with JHPs and tucked it back into the safe. I’ll probably end up going to the range again this weekend, so I’ll field strip it and give it a more thorough scrubbing after that.

The Roci’s turning out to be quite a cunning little pistol. Not regretting my purchase yet ;)

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After spending the first half of my Sunday ripping around my friend’s neighborhood street on his modded Razor drift karts (thinking I’m gonna have to get me one of those), I managed to make it to the range for another 250 rounds before they closed up for the weekend.

81ADAAA7-059E-4F8C-890C-121F62883A33.jpeg

That brings the total to 1,500 rounds and at the point in the maintenance/care cycle to field strip and clean it. So, when I got home I pulled the pistol apart and got to gettin’.

5A02A2D0-1D32-469D-A874-8AECCAB1D2DC.jpeg

While giving everything a good spray and scrub down I did notice the pistol’s got its first mark of real use:

FF308D30-C041-4436-A05A-79750DD94953.jpeg

To my understanding it’s not unusual for these sharp corners on the back of the slide of classic P-series pistols to chip a bit with use. This gun was never meant to be a safe queen, and now like the MCRN gunship and the trusty steed of its namesake it’ll wear its scars with pride.

I think about two more 250 round weeks will bring us to the point of the first detail strip and cleaning, after which will begin the “X rounds with no cleaning/lube” challenge. More to come!

C14B290C-B73A-40B3-9334-93895D234954.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Hmmm…Well after a little more research/looking at pictures of factory new pistols I’m thinking that’s NOT a chip in the slide, that’s the way it comes from the factory, and this is just the first I’m noticing it. Which means the problem, as usual, is I’m an idiot :D

Either way that whole thing about wearing scars with pride is still true. Just, you know, after it actually gets a real one…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Because I remembered how phenomenally well it worked when I was trying to figure out how to carry my oddly-shaped frame-mounted P320 build, I took a look at Phlster’s new Enigma and Floodlight2 setup and liked what I saw. So…

4B7E5B14-5A47-4750-B6F6-4005C149D13E.jpeg

I’ll have another option to try for carrying this beast soon. Maybe the T1C holster will work as well, but I’m very confident Phlster’s equipment will help make this giant pistol disappear against my fairly slender frame