More RM06 troubles

Freedom Forged

After trying everything Trijicon told me to do and the modifications I learned about here my dot is still changing in intensity from shot to shot. Put in a new Sony battery, tensioned the battery prongs, added a Battle Werx anti-flicker plate and put on a dab of shoe goo. NFG! Going back to Trijicon I guess. Chaps my ass really.
FF

Have you tried wedging the prong? I use a piece or two of a standard rubber band, maybe a MM in length or so. Wedge it in between the prong where the conduit creates a little "v" between the body of the rmr and the actual connection piece of wire. Now your tensioned prongs have a pretty rigid yet non conductive support. Cleared mine up win conjunction with some shoe goo. Let me know if this made any sense or if I need to explain it better.

*Note- If you are short a rubber band, a few crumbs of extremely closed cell foam works too. Like foam roller foam etc.

Freedom Forged

Have you tried wedging the prong? I use a piece or two of a standard rubber band, maybe a MM in length or so. Wedge it in between the prong where the conduit creates a little "v" between the body of the rmr and the actual connection piece of wire. Now your tensioned prongs have a pretty rigid yet non conductive support. Cleared mine up win conjunction with some shoe goo. Let me know if this made any sense or if I need to explain it better.

*Note- If you are short a rubber band, a few crumbs of extremely closed cell foam works too. Like foam roller foam etc.
Makes sense. I have not tried this. I can see how it would add some resistance to keep tension on the prong thus staying tight against the battery.
Thanks. FF

Rabbit

I used electrical tape wedged between the battery prong and the side. I have not had any issues since. No other mods and using the trijicon seal plate.

Kamp

I went to a DeltaPoint Pro..Still have RMRs though.

Did you also use the Dielectric grease (like for automotive lightbulbs.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Freedom Forged

I went to a DeltaPoint Pro..Still have RMRs though.

Did you also use the Dielectric grease (like for automotive lightbulbs.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Never heard of using it for this application. Tell me more please.
FF

Kamp

They recommend dielectric grease on the bulbs in the automotive applications to help with longevity. It helps minimize any corrosion and helps with conductivity of the circuit/contact with the wired connection in automobiles. It seems to help with contact corrosion and conductivity with the battery.

Seeing as the pistol is often times carried close to the body in hot climates figured the extra corrosion resistance can't hurt and it is safe for electrical. Any automotive store carries in for the bulb. A packet is $.79 or so. Looks like petroleum jelly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Freedom Forged

Thanks Kamp, Trijicon says they're RMR's are fit to be used in this manner. They should work, period. I don't have discretionary money and I had to sacrifice to buy this. To be honest I'm tired of trying to make a product work that is supposed to work out of the box. Others here and elsewhere have said they have never had any trouble with theirs and that's great. Mine has been off the gun 3 times in three months. It's probably just my luck though. I've had to send two other products back to the manufacture in the past few months (a Surefire XC and a Hornady bullet feeder) and honestly it pisses me of. All of these manufacturers have great warranties and I know anything electrical or mechanical is subject to breakdown at any time, I get it.

I called Hornady and very kindly got my disgust off my chest. The Tech guy whole heartedly agreed with me. The only thing he could do was to issue an RMA # to return it for repair which was the last thing I really wanted to do, but I did. It's on the way back now. All in all it's not the end of the world but I'm the kinda person that wants to buy good shit, one time and use it for a long time.

I asked the Tech what they would do different to prevent this from happening again. He said "we will replace the electronics in the optic, then we will shock test it to make sure it's good". I can only hope it's fixed when it gets back.

Am I out of line on my way of thinking here? Shouldn't we as consumers expect for things to work as stated by manufacturers? We shouldn't have to perform VooDoo rituals and install rubber band's and shit meant for shoes to make it work!
FF

PS. I want to thank everyone who has tried to help me and offered many suggestions to get my RMR working. I really do appreciate it.

I think you're spot on FF, but driving things to the point of failure also drives innovation. The RMR started out in 2009 and since then aside from the adjustable version and 1 moa version not a lot seems to have changed because they were mainly a primary optic or secondary optic on a primary. The explosions in usage over the past couple years (excluding competition usage/race gun) in running rds on pistol slides has exposed the technology deficits in the RMR for this role that we as consumers/end users have tried to mitigate. Hopefully now Trijicon is evolving with the demand and market to address these issues. Frankly, a pistol slide is a lot more violent of a spot to be a mounted optic than is ontop of some 1913 at T16. I agree with you though everytime we put shoe goo or sliced up rubber bands into a $700 laser pointer god probably kills a puppy.

*The RMR time line info is taken from their site under history

In this group especially, no other product at any price point but especially 600ish would be so recommended with the caveat that you might need to add some shoe-goo or bend a contact to make it function as intended. Could you imagine this place recommending an AR with the caveat that you just have to stake the key.

I've had two fail within 200 shots. Thankfully they're issued to me and I'm out $0, but the failures have suspended the rollout to more guys. On the Trijicon RMR website the marketing image shows it mounted to a handgun. They need to get this sorted.

Yondering

In this group especially, no other product at any price point but especially 600ish would be so recommended with the caveat that you might need to add some shoe-goo or bend a contact to make it function as intended. Could you imagine this place recommending an AR with the caveat that you just have to stake the key.

I agree. I think it's a matter of using what's available though; IMO Trijicon's development group appears to have been sitting on their thumbs with the RMR products in the last few years, because of the lack of competition for a durable red dot. If another $600 (or even $800-900) red dot was available that was more durable, I bet a lot of us would use them without recommending Trijicon's RMR.

I think other manufacturers are starting to catch up, and have already passed them in some areas (Leupold's superior glass and larger window for example) so I'm interested to see what comes available in the next few years. Market competition is a good thing.

Fatboy

Established
Realistically, for the price of one failed RMR you could buy several cheaper ones (like a Vortex Venom model) and run it until it breaks, then take it off, send it back to the factory to be refurbished and swap on the second (or third or fourth etc). I believe Roland talked about doing that with RMR's. At this point if my RMR shits the bed, I think that is the route I would go towards.

Maybe the lack of sales would drive a company like Trijicon to finally make a mini red dot that is tough, has fully potted electronics, a top or side load battery, and is adjustable for brightness with an on/off switch that requires a two step process to turn off and not just a single switch or button.

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
You all do realize the engineers at Trijicon have been working diligently on these issues since 2010 or so, with multiple attempted improvements and sending out test models of various proposed improvements to high round count end-user organizations to beta test.

Freedom Forged

You all do realize the engineers at Trijicon have been working diligently on these issues since 2010 or so, with multiple attempted improvements and sending out test models of various proposed improvements to high round count end-user organizations to beta test.
No, I did not. I'm not industry connected in any way. I sent mine back though, in hopes of getting the latest updated electronics.

Asr34

Amateur
Market competition is a good thing.[/QUOTE said:
I was following this thread and I can't agree more. The explosion of technology and innovation since that awful Brady bill expired in 04 has been amazing.

I'm sure all the engineers are working their asses off right now. I just hope the downturn in the market when Hillary lost doesn't hurt the bottom line too much where they cut back R&D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrischris

Amateur
I wasn't aware of this either. Good to know. Seems I've been lucky with my RM06. Only 1k rounds and plenty of dry fire, but haven't seen a flicker.

One if mine was purchased at the end of 2016 and it's replacement in 2017. Until they have this figured out, we're all part of the beta test.

Wake27

I don't know how much that helps the argument. They've been working for seven years and still haven't gotten it all sorted out? I have no problem paying a lot of money for a good optic like a T2 when I may not ever see a difference between it and a $300 optic. But $5-600 for something with those issues, a small, oddly tinted window, and having to remove it to replace the battery? I really don't see how so many people think it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Because they work better than anything else we have tried--battery life measured in years, not weeks or months. An adjustable intensity dot that does not wash out with bright WML's, but also works with NODS. The RMR on my current pistol is up over 10,000 rounds now without any issues.

Freedom Forged

Because they work better than anything else we have tried--battery life measured in years, not weeks or months. An adjustable intensity dot that does not wash out with bright WML's, but also works with NODS. The RMR on my current pistol is up over 10,000 rounds now without any issues.

@DocGKR Doc, not questioning you here so don't take offense. Did you ever have trouble with yours or was it good from day one? Did you do any of the mods that we know are common? The reason I ask is that I hope when mine gets back from Trijicon I'm good to go and don't have mod anything. But, if I need to I want to hedge my bet when I put it back on. Make sense?