MOLLE Gas Mask Pouches

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
All,

Feel free to throw out your preferred carry method for gas mask. Make sure you add the why when you do. Also include brand/models pros and cons.

When I retired last year, I turned in all my gear. So I am going to base the what and why of how i carried a pro mask. I am looking for info on the latest hotness.

90's we wore the pro mask in a leg/waist pouch on the support side of the body. It was easy access, but the pouch commonly snagged on objects, especially in CQB and linear work. We had M17 bags and also some of the Blackhawk type thigh rig pouches.

A preferred option was to mount the pouch on the rear of the plate carrier, over the support side kidney. Pros - it kept the profile for linear and CQB smaller. It was also an awesome launch platform for the dogs rear legs to use when sending into attics. Cons - It was a pain in the dick for driving a vehicle, it would also snag when going into hatches such as attics. The preferred opening and brand was an Eagle Industries the had a velcro opening flap that could be accessed with reaching behind the back with he support side hand to grab the mask. I liked this, but am always looking for a better mousetrap/method.

Looking for a pouch that works well with he Avon FM53

Thanks

Fatboy

Established
I use a protech molle pouch (I think that's the model. If not, I'll edit or repost). It's designed with a zipper on the bottom, and I wear it center of my back just above the belt. It's off the legs, keeps my profile slimmer, and is out of the way until I need it.

TXLEO

I have been using this Protech bag that came with my Shift 360. I've had it on my back, same issues as Lane C above. I mounted it on support side cummerbund for awhile, opening facing forward despite pic it is a horizontal pouch. That was ok until i got side plates. Now it is hanging off the last row of molle like a butt pack. Seems decent so far. Not terrible not great while in a vehicle and can ge tit myself. I may try that Paraclete one. Looks promising. Also thinking about a Crye AVS1000 pack to stow mask and snacks for longer callouts.

http://www.safariland.com/products/...--gas-mask-pouch-TP18.html#q=gas+mask&start=1

Fatboy

Established
@Fatboy How does it ride when sitting in a vehicle?

It's not the preferred level of comfort, but in my opinion it is better then having it strapped around a leg. It helps if you have other things on your back too like a radio or bangs so it's almost flat from top to bottom on the armor. I also have a leg bag if needed, but that usually stays in my load out kit.

Fatboy

Established
It would probably fit inside it, but from the looks of zipper placement, it won't be self deployable.

TXLEO

That was my thought, but not sure how necessary self deployment is in a SWAT environment. For us at least we have time to mask up when the decision to gas is being made. and almost never alone. But that is one reason I'm looking at the AVS, since it is self accessible.

Joe _K

Established
I never had issues with the Eagle pouch always had it mounted where the OP mentioned. Saw guys running them in dump pouches too.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Fatboy

Established
That was my thought, but not sure how necessary self deployment is in a SWAT environment. For us at least we have time to mask up when the decision to gas is being made. and almost never alone. But that is one reason I'm looking at the AVS, since it is self accessible.

Self deployable gear in a SWAT environment probably isn't necessary but I have a hard time not keeping my gear like that ready for me to grab and go. Having a buddy put it back away afterwards is a different story, I'm all for that.

Dr. No

Self deployable gear in a SWAT environment probably isn't necessary but I have a hard time not keeping my gear like that ready for me to grab and go. Having a buddy put it back away afterwards is a different story, I'm all for that.

Not to mention, you should have guys cover while their partner masks up, and then vice versa. Dropping security to put on a mask is straight stupid.

TXLEO

Not to mention, you should have guys cover while their partner masks up, and then vice versa. Dropping security to put on a mask is straight stupid.

No doubt. Security is never dropped. Just tossing carriage options out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M6B

I am resurrecting this old thread for any new info. What are people using in 2019 to carry gas masks? A lot of our guys have moved them to their belts. One has gone back to a drop-leg. Most of us carry on the rear of the plate carrier but I need to carry an aid bag also so I would like to keep my profile down. Any low-profile pouches out there?

Grayman

Established
Based on our team tactics I don't worry about the ability to self deploy. My mask sits in an old PVS-14 pouch that I carabeaner onto my support side cummerbund. Not high tech but it's easy enough for me to grab the carabeaner and pull the whole thing off or have a partner unzip and grab the mask. I like that it's not permanently attached to my vest so I can switch it between plate carrier / heavy vest or take it completely off if the situation dictates.

M6B

Based on our team tactics I don't worry about the ability to self deploy. My mask sits in an old PVS-14 pouch that I carabeaner onto my support side cummerbund. Not high tech but it's easy enough for me to grab the carabeaner and pull the whole thing off or have a partner unzip and grab the mask. I like that it's not permanently attached to my vest so I can switch it between plate carrier / heavy vest or take it completely off if the situation dictates.
I haven't seen an NVG pouch quite big enough for my mask. At least in my online searches, but thanks for the response. I will keep it in mind in my search.

I keep a Tyr Tactical horizontal pro mask pouch with a modified closure on a zip on back panel. Had the closure modified as from factory I couldn’t get it open when on my back. Empty it lays fairly flat so out of the way when not carried, or I can just take off the whole back panel.

Reactions: M6B

Grayman

Established
Here's my setup. Works well enough

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    975.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0583.JPG