Home Defense: Carbine vs Shotgun vs Pistol

CrazyDoc

Amateur
My 11.5 suppressed sbr is my gun of choice. Half the time bump in the night or loud noise is a farm animal getting eaten. It works indoors and also allows for a more realistic gun to go kill a yote,fox,hog or what have you but also for the times when I need it indoors. I'm working on LBE aside from my PC that's slick.

Toole

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
#1 Flight Control buckshot rocks! It is my favorite multi-projectile load for 12 ga.

JD Williams

I understand that a pistol has less death power and that, frankly, sucks. A pistol with a light on it frees up an arm for holding a kid and opening / barricading doors and stuff. I think in those cases it does have some value / warrant consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyler801

300 BLK isnt my first choice at all. For as much as youre paying for the ammo those few decibals are really worth the dip in ballistics?! Not for me at least. One round i underestimated before learning more about its capabilities in a soft target is 5.45. The only thing is i wonder about its performance supressed. My buddy is doing an AR in that caliber and i have to see how a DI system does with dirty soviet ammo (like m855 could be any cleaner lol

tact

300 BLK isnt my first choice at all. For as much as youre paying for the ammo those few decibals are really worth the dip in ballistics?! Not for me at least. One round i underestimated before learning more about its capabilities in a soft target is 5.45. The only thing is i wonder about its performance supressed. My buddy is doing an AR in that caliber and i have to see how a DI system does with dirty soviet ammo (like m855 could be any cleaner lol

Dip in ballistics?? Few decibels? Can you elaborate?

kyler801

uploadfromtaptalk1430584484632.jpeg its range isnt as far as a well placed 5.56. But not many people would think to push a 5.56 farther than 300m. For the prices in ammo itd almost be worth it to go with a .308 imo. Unless you wanna go with a short barrel where you can get comparable ballistics out of a 9in 300BLK to a 16in 5.56

kyler801

300blk has almost subsonic velocity amd then with subsonic ammo it works, it supresses a little lower than 5.56. These are straight from silencerco.com. i wished they could test a normal load for 300BLK and give us what loads they used the other calibers. SILENCERCO SAKER CALIBER: 5.56 – 7.62
WEIGHT: 20.7 OZ
DIAMETER: 1.500”
LENGTH: 7.50”

SOUND REDUCTION:
5.56 – 134 dB
.300 BLK Subsonic – 126 dB
.308 – 139 dB

tact

View attachment 435 its range isnt as far as a well placed 5.56. But not many people would think to push a 5.56 farther than 300m. For the prices in ammo itd almost be worth it to go with a .308 imo. Unless you wanna go with a short barrel where you can get comparable ballistics out of a 9in 300BLK to a 16in 5.56
I get that.....but the post started out as a home defense question which is why I was confused by your comment.

tact

300blk has almost subsonic velocity amd then with subsonic ammo it works, it supresses a little lower than 5.56. These are straight from silencerco.com. i wished they could test a normal load for 300BLK and give us what loads they used the other calibers. SILENCERCO SAKER CALIBER: 5.56 – 7.62
WEIGHT: 20.7 OZ
DIAMETER: 1.500”
LENGTH: 7.50”

SOUND REDUCTION:
5.56 – 134 dB
.300 BLK Subsonic – 126 dB
.308 – 139 dB

Yes I have Sakers. 8 decibels is quite noticeable to the human ear.

kyler801

Just some facts about 300BLK so that people dont think they are losing out by having a 5.56. A well running supressed 5.56 is great for home defense since those rounds wont go into your neighbors house with lethal velocity. I will give 300BLK that its a great 30cal without having the crazy penetration and ability to cruise right through sheetrock and/or sheetmetal

Steve S.

I guess I'm an old fart. 870 behind the headboard, Federal Flite-Control 00, Surefire forearm, Speedfeed Tac IV (short) stock, Blue Force Gear Anaconda single point sling. Used this gun in a Louis Awerbuck class in 2013 and it worked well for me. Also have a 1911 with X300U in a holster bolted to the bed frame with a handheld flashlight close to it.

We live in an old house with lath/plaster walls, no kids to worry about, so I'm not real concerned with the 00 overpenetrating. My wife wont let me test the theory, though ;-)

10usc311

I agree with Doc's op. I have the 590 by the bed with a G19 on the nigtstand. In the middle of the night, I have a fixed-position plan with Rule 4 covered.

My concern with using a shotty to clear isn't the length, it's the action. It would seem much easier for someone to fuck up my shuck in a contact distance fight than for them to get in the trigger guard of my pistol (I know they can induce a malf by grabbing the slide, but I've been trained on that).

I won't go AR until I've been trained, but that will be soon and may change my opinions.

ScottPM09

I understand that a pistol has less death power and that, frankly, sucks. A pistol with a light on it frees up an arm for holding a kid and opening / barricading doors and stuff. I think in those cases it does have some value / warrant consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is certainly valid depending on circumstances. I had always been under the mindset that if I am going into a gunfight, I must have my rifle. This holds true with 90% of my work, but when performing a tubular assault or clearing the local abandoned houses (having to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and...dodge obstacles), I tend to favor my pistol to allow myself that free hand and maneuverability. Same can be said within your own house depending on the layout/design/clutter/kids/doors/etc..