Handstops vs VFG vs Slick

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Handstops vs VFG vs Slick

This will be affected by handguard length and accessories, but experience and thoughts on Handstops, VFG's (stubby and full size) and slick handguards.

ptrlcop

Established
On one gun I am stuck with carbine length handguard. A stubby vfg is really the only way I can comfortably manipulate a light and run the gun with some efficiency. My hand is basically in the same position it would be on a pistol, just out farther.

On all my other guns I run 13"+ handguards slick.

MWS4359

I have found that less is more. First I used a VFG, then I got fancy with a Magpul AFG......Now finally I just have a slick Bravo Company 13" KMR and have found that the lack of a fixed reference point is much better.

On a square range a VFG/AFG/handstop is great.......you're standing there in a perfect fighting position shooting a target....it's easy to reference the same spot on your handguard and its comfortable.

Now get yourself uncomfortable....start shooting prone, supine, under, over, around, or through barricades, vehicles, fences, etc. Sometimes you have to cant the carbine at awkward angle (say 90 degrees). Now its not so easy to get your hand in the position where your VFG/AFG/handstop is and in some cases the VFG/AFG/handstop becomes a liability in that it gets in the way of how and where you need to grab the carbine. They can also become snag hazards around certain obstacles and barricades. Slicker is more betterer

Just my .02. YMMV

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
I like the ref point but for square range my whole hand is pushing against it. In others it's between ring and middle and sometimes between middle and index. Pretty damn versatile. I get what your saying but I have yet to find an obstacle or position where it's an impediment. Conversely it's a great "hook" to hold the front of the gun on top of something for one handed manipulations. I have never snagged unintentionally on anything because it's pretty small and pretty rounded.

JekPokins

Amateur
The only carbine length hand guards I have are on my issued patrol rifle. Changing them is not an option. I run a VFG on that rifle, just shy of the end of the rail as it is the most comfortable set up I've found to accommodate light manipulations.

All of my personal guns wear extended, slick tubes ever since a couple days at Proctor classes where I discovered that AFG's were more of a hindrance than a help most of the time. I probably wouldn't mind hand stops, but I'm perfectly happy without them.

I run slick and have progressed as many have through various iterations. I have a Centurion CMR 14" rail right now and only have the grip panels installed. It gives me a reference point for my grip without having to hook it around something. I'm able to apply plenty of rearward pressure to lock in my positions.

I like to essentially slide forward on the rail after manipulations so the gun comes smoothly back on target from say, a reload. VFG's and handstops hinder this. While awesome with VTAC barricades and similar, I find the handstops and VFG's limit my stability as I use objects for support like push bars and hoods (handstops less so). I appreciate the ability to lay it or brace it on whatever I have without having to worry about the VFG getting in the way or having to balance it on it.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
I can apply plenty of rearward pressure as well, the hand stop makes it easier for me.

Post reload my hand sweeps off the mag, so I lose contact, pretty easy to just throw it back on the rail and it usually lands right over the hand stop. My light is at 12:00 with a pressure pad so both of those act as reference points as well

Jorge5811

I started with a slick 6920, then when I got on SWAT they gave me a Colt Commando with a Surefire 900. I used it broom-handle style until a locked-on guy on the team showed me a few things. I was stuck with the light, but I ran my hand farther up, thumb over the top. Once I got off the team I swapped my 6920 upper for a BCM mid-length with a 12" rail. I tried a hand stop, but it was tweaky on my wrist, so I settled for the AFG. I have big hands, so a thumb-over grip is no problem. Once my Form 4 clears for my DD MK18, I'll have to decide what works best for me on a shorter rail.

A910

Running a hand stop right now. Started slick and went through the works like everyone else but bypassed the stubby because I'm an under achiever. I like the stop because I can slightly angle my hand. I also found I like to put my pinky behind the stop for some reason. It probably looks slightly retarded but it's more comfortable and works for me. Besides, slightly retarded is better than full retard. Never go full retard.

AndersonAUB

I run an AFG on a carbine length DDMK18. It's as far out on the rail as I can get it on the 10.25 inch barrel .

I had the same set up on both prior patrol and SWAT guns. Never saw the up side to a VFG.

Will be adding a DBOL to the weapon soon for NOD compatibility and may have to adjust what I use. I basically use the AFG as a hand stop as it is so my set up will probably change soon.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I tried the plethora of VFG's/AFG's/hand stops and have gone back to slick and stayed were. with a 13 inch rail it doesn't really give me anything more except weight. I like the flexibility for various positions.

The one exception is when I'm running a short 7 inch rail because I have too in order to effectively use all the switch's for WL/NV.

N

nate89

Used to go slick on an MOE forend, now I have the MOE VFG installed and am trying it out. It makes finding the light (X300U on a scout mount) a bit easier and works for me.

regdudedrtyjob

Started with a VFG, then went straight to a handstop (Magpul XTM). I think it will stay for now, but FailureDrill makes great points, so I'm thinking I might try slick for awhile.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I started slick, with a 10" handguard. Then added a cool guy Tango Down full size vert grip.

102_5027.JPG

Next I went stubby, on a 7" rail:

102_5983.JPG

I tried the AFG 1 on a 10", but did not like it. Went to a Magpul MOE vert grip for 10" guns instead.

Tried the AFG2 on a 12" rail, better but for that length I liked the handstop better. So far the handstop I like the best is the Magpul one, especially at $20 for a complete kit with 2 rail panels and one very short reference point piece in addition to the handstop.

For a MLOK MOESL handguard the MLOK AFG is pretty trick as well.

WeaponOutfitters

Amateur
Vendor
Use definitely defines gear. I used to prefer all slick until I did some informal training with some high speed guys. 8 hours on a range... makes one really appreciate lightweight builds, as well as hand stops and VFGs as fatigue sets in. Hand stops and shorty VFGs are the perfect balance of light/simple as well as having something vertical to aid with weapon control during driving/firing.

TJ208

I run slick but if someone would sell me a Gripstop-k I would gladly buy it and put it on my rifle.

Anyone? Hey industry guys hook me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB3

Kohr

I run the gear sector VFG, very very short. I tried hand stops by it just doesn't feel right to me. I get the best wrist alignment with a VFG. My ring finger sits at the rifle to VFG junction with my wrist locked forward just like my support hand grip on my pistol.

KMo1205

I had a stubby on my midlength carbine, but changed it over to an AFG after about two years. Its does what my hand naturally wanted to do with the stubby VFG and my c-grip on my forend. But I can also easily operate my light and hold my carbine as far forward comfortably as I can.