Good Idea Fairy or Practical: 7.62 Day/Night Precision Rifle

Team,
This is my first post after some time lurking. If I've mis-read the introduction rules, please remove or switch this thread if it is out of place.
For context: this is just a build I've had in mind intended to spark some honest discussion. I'm looking to learn as much as I can about precision shooting and its changes under NVDs.

References from experience: I've had some goggle time through the Army and at JRTC in Fort Polk, and have taken both 101 and 201 TNVC courses. I have experience with red dots/IR lasers for close range work, but nothing truly past 100M at night.

Situation: I've had the idea in my head for a while but I'm not sure if it actually makes sense to pursue. The idea is a 7.62 Nato rifle with a contradictory purpose: creating a precision long(er) range platform for precision day shooting, that can transition to closer range shooting (similar to a battle rifle) AND have the ability to do both functions in the dark. As much as everyone rolls their eyes, yes, it is an attempt to have an everything ("do-it-all") set up for a defensive rifle.

End State: To have a long-range weapon system that can take full advantage of the 7.62 round day and night. Precision is the primary focus first with integration with NVGs as the secondary function.

I've come to terms that the two biggest deciding factors to achieve this is:
A) The daytime optic and its height for prone and standing are important: (LPVO inside either a 1.54 for better prone shooting in daytime at range, vs LPVO inside a 1.93 for shooting up close in the day, with a cheek riser to help distance)
B) The type of NVG aiming solution is important: Either a piggyback red dot (better passive aiming and use for helmet NVGs and doubles as a close-range point of reference) or go with a dedicated clip on NVD (Which diminishes the head born NVG set up, but is better for range and precision)

Any input is greatly appreciated. Again, this is not for a department or deployment gun, just an idea that I've had that I wanted to contrast with everyone's experience and wargaming. Thanks again for the insight.

pointblank4445

Established
First, let me ask if you're fully vested in trying to cram all this capability into one gun?

I ask because, going long range with stuff not generally suited to go long range is kinda my bag. If you're looking at something like a 16" 308 semi auto, it's going to be hamstrung on velocity/ballistics when pushing distance AND (more importantly) trying to make hits in wind at distance. But you're also going to get all the fun noise and bulk for your general purpose stuff. Not saying it can't be done (I've had both the KAC EMC and ACC out beyond 1k yards), but many find the "jack-of-all-trades" 308 can come with some severe penalties if you're not prepared for them.

With that, we've addressed the NV thing on our SPR's and trying to balance clip-on and helmet mounted.
If you want both, the remedy we found is to either:
1) Run 2.04 optic height and a .5" spacer for the clip on. Then run some kind of riser to help with cheek weld.
ROPmsra.jpg

2) Run 1.54 optic height for the clip on and 12 o'clock piggy back for passive aiming. The issue here is if you have an IR laser that's an issue with occluding the LPVO.
xQrgoZE.jpg

Luckily you've got stuff like the KIJI and optic mounts you can hang stuff on to help you out as well.
That being said, in my non-sniper personal life, I'd rather stick to running clip-ons to higher magnification bolt guns and running a carbine in between the above with a 1.70, cheek riser, offset red dot and a laser unit (if needed).

First, let me ask if you're fully vested in trying to cram all this capability into one gun?
Yes, with full understanding that I know something has to give. I can't realistically have everything I want (or think I want) and expect to fly around with it in my hands like an 11.5 5.56 set up.
I've had both the KAC EMC and ACC out beyond 1k yards

This is truthfully the starting platform I had in mind, i.e. SR-25 APC/PC to take advantage of semi auto and accuracy with 308.

1) Run 2.04 optic height and a .5" spacer for the clip on. Then run some kind of riser to help with cheek weld.
Honestly that seems to be the most well-rounded solution in my head for all shooting positions (Prone to Standing) with capability to add clip Ons and also use IR devices on the top. Thats an awesome set up to bring up, Thank you for the idea on that.

I think the hang up is I'm trying to balance that fine line of adding enough of the right "tech" to meet all my requirements, while keeping enough of it off to trim the weight down, so it's not so over encumbered I don't enjoy using it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A genuine question I have with the clip on NVD is, is it actually clear enough to PID/engage things past 100M in the dark? (i.e is long range night shooting even a reasonable expectation in the first place?) I ask because I've done PID scenarios with head mounted units where even at close range it's hard to really make out finer details (At least enough to warrant trying to figure out if someone was an OPFOR or a Good guy in a tree line).

pointblank4445

Established
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A genuine question I have with the clip on NVD is, is it actually clear enough to PID/engage things past 100M in the dark? (i.e is long range night shooting even a reasonable expectation in the first place?) I ask because I've done PID scenarios with head mounted units where even at close range it's hard to really make out finer details (At least enough to warrant trying to figure out if someone was an OPFOR or a Good guy in a tree line).

It depends...(I know cop-out answer...but it does)
Depends on how much ass your illuminator has
Depends on the conditions you're in with photonic barriers
Depends on the quality of the NV unit
Depends on the quality of the optic

LR night shooting is fun as hell...IF you're set up for it.

I will say that we had a "learning occurred" moment when we saw the limitations of a hot new CNVD-LR white phos with no illuminator compared to a tired, old PVS 22 (gen 3?) WITH long-range illuminator.