Glock or M&P?

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Sunshine- The question to ask is: What Generation of Glock 22 and if WML were used?

Good point. It could have been an older gen G22, but is it safe to assume that the M&P9s and the G17s also had WMLs attached? If dept. policy is that everyone carries WMLs, would that change the interpretation of the malfunction numbers?

Longeye

Established
Yes, it would. The trend was that Gen 3 .40 Glocks would not run with WML's. I saw this personally on a pair of G23's and a pair of G22's. They ran like a champ as long as there was no WML aboard. They would produce stoppages at a consistent rate of 3-4 per magazine with a SF X200 mounted.

My Gen 3 G19 and 17 pistols ran well in either configuration.

When I was sworn in a a deputy, there was no question about whether or not I was carrying a weapon light. Policy mandates .40 so that narrowed my choice down to the M&P series as the only ones at the time that would reliably run .40 and a WML together.

Later, the Gen 4 series came out which is alleged to have fixed the WML problem. I am going to find out- I am restarting my Glock 22/G4 program.

Again, the bottom line is that it does not matter what platform you choose, so long as:
1. It is reliable
2. You shoot it well.
3. It is well supported with holsters, magazines, spare parts, upgrade sights, triggers and viable lasers.
4. You train and practice with it on your own time and dime to the point of reaching the mechanical limits of the system.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. From 2005-2013 I shot Glocks (19/17) exclusively in regards to handguns. However, when I knew that I was starting the police academy, in an agency that issues M&P’s, I bought a 9mm M&P and began to train with it. I continued to train with it exclusively until I shot top gun in the academy and got sworn in. From that day forward, I carry an M&P on duty because that is what I have to carry, and use Glock handguns for everything else (home defense, CCW, etc). I ended up selling the M&P that I used to learn the M&P line of pistols. When we traded in our old M&Ps for the new ones I did buy my old one from the department for sentimental value reasons only. I figured I shot top gun with it, and it was my first duty gun, so why not.

I shoot M&Ps just fine and have no issue switching back and forth. I also have nothing negative to say about the reliability of the M&P for the amount of rounds that I have fired through them. However, I prefer Glocks . Therefore, when I have a choice, I carry Glocks. I have way more time behind a glock, and a lot more rounds fired in Glock handguns.

SCSU74

I've carried/been issued both and as already stated it is much easier to find armorers and parts for Glock. I carried a 21 (gen 3) and 17 (gen 4) which were personally purchased in addition to a 226 that was issued at my first department and can't recall a single malfunction (ammo was 124g lawman for practice and 124+p GD for duty provided by PD).

When I recently (2 years ago) switched to my current PD the options for duty gun was M&P in .45 or 9, that's it. During our lateral academy I lost count of the stoppages that I personally had (FTFire and FTE) and in addition to the ones my classmates had (mostly FTFire and dead triggers). Round count was approximately 1K over 5 days. There were 2 classmates that had failures that couldn't be fixed on the line (dead triggers) and had to be tore down by an armorer. 1 of the guns was unable to be fixed and had to be sent back. Firearms were stock and our PD doesn't allow for Apex parts. Ammo used by the PD is 115 AE for practice and 147 federal bonded for duty.

The problems our class had and the ongoing problems other officers were having with the platform led to our PD changing the allowed firearms for new classes. Currently, new classes are allowed the choice between Glock or Sig (320) and officers currently carrying the M&P are allowed to switch. I personally have lost faith in the platform and won't own another M&P product (bad experience with the M&P rifles at prior dept). The ergonomic benefits don't make up for the questionable reliability in my experience.

I was able to switch to the 320 and then eventually back to the 226 and have experienced 0 stoppages (using both platforms) through approx 7K rounds using the same ammo previously mentioned since Dec of '15.

JUDAN

M&P by far just look up apex tactical and M&P reviews.

I'd get a M&P full size in fde with the match barrel and be done!