Glock or M&P?

JPitts0117

I am new to the forum, but have been a member of the Facebook group for a while. I am a law enforcement officer( currently reserve certified but have pt tests scheduled for depts that will hire me full time).

I am currently carrying a full size m&p 9 pro series 4.25" barrel with night sights, apex fss trigger kit and a stream light tlr1hl. The depts I will be doing pt for issue glock 22s.

With a weapon that my life may very well rely on at one point or another I don't want to have any doubts in the back of my head. I can shoot m&p fairly well, but I haven't given glock a fair chance. I had a Glock 19 before the m&p and I traded it in for the m&p because the m&p fit my hand better and was more comfortable.

I have been playing with the thought of trading the m&p back for another g19 but haven't made a decision yet. I am looking for input from people who have put both weapons through their paces.

Will I be doing myself an injustice by going back to a Glock?

I know a Glock can be rebuilt for little of nothing if something internally breaks, what about m&p?

I will gladly accept any help that may be offered in this situation even if it's not exactly constructive lol.

Thanks in advance

Arete

Don't put the cart before the horse. If and when you get hired, the dept will have policy regarding what you can carry on duty, and likely also off duty, and will likely have restrictions on modifications, so, wait and see.

I've been a Glock armorer for many years and was also a M&P armorer. You can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting a Glock armorer. M&P armorers are harder to come by. The Glock is easier to work on and has a LOT more aftermarket support.

Both Glocks and M&Ps can serve you well and both can be used at a high level. I would say, however, that there are MANY reasons to carry the same gun or family of gun all the time. For example, a G22 for duty, a G27 for a BUG, a G23 or G27 for off duty, and have another G22 setup same as the primary G22 for a training gun. You get a high degree of compatibility with holsters, mag pouches, ammo, etc. across the board, not mention the manual of arms is the same.

I would stay with Gen 4 Glocks if you have to use a .40 if using a WML might be a possibility.

Get some good training, too. Most LE firearms training sucks, to be perfectly frank.

Years ago, I had to decide Glock or M&P and went Glock (mine are all 9mm) and knowing what I know now, it was the better choice.

YMMV

JPitts0117

Thank you Arete. I know not to get to far ahead of myself in the hiring process at PD's. The 2 I have applied to lately have both asked me to come to their pt, so I've got that far. I know they both issue glock 22. Past that as of now no other details, I am not a fan of 40 but if that's what they issue I'll have to deal with it I guess. I prefer 9mm, I like you think that one weapon family would be the best choice but wanted other opinions

Arete

Don't get wrapped around the axle about duty pistols right now.

Taking the PT test is a long, long, long from getting sworn in. Many more hoops to jump through first. How prepared are you for an oral board? Focus on things like that, not what guns they issue.

Right now your priorities should be to find an agency that is a good fit for you, to get hired, to get through academy, FTO, probation, and to develop proficiency with all aspects of the job of a patrol officer.

If they were to issue you a Beretta (for example), doesn't matter, develop proficiency with it and drive on. The Indian is more important than the arrow. Maybe one day we'll all be issued Roland Specials, but the time to concern yourself with that is not now.

Arete

Also, while probably most of us are "gun guys", to quote from the movie The Wild Bunch, "We've got to start thinking beyond our guns".

The agency is gonna dictate most of the hardware stuff for you. You can maximize the efficient and effective use of that hardware, though, by being technically and tactically proficient. Software trumps hardware (hardware needs to be good "enough", though).

I say the above having gone way deep down the rabbit hole that is high end 1911s. Learning occurred.

One the things I like about P&S is that while it may have started as a gun-centric forum (as I think Riafdnal said in one of the podcasts), it's rapidly expanding to be much more than that. It's a place where discussions are being had that aren't being had elsewhere. It makes you THINK.

All this pleases me.

Lane C

Rico and the Man
Staff member
G22's and lots of .40 cal have killed lots of black hats over the years.

It is common for agencies to cycle through multiple calibers and platforms over your 20-25 year career. WE did .45, .40 and 9mm.

Practice shooting whatever platform you get issued accurately. Then put the pills in the location that they are best known for finishing the fight in your opponent. Heart, lungs and brain.

Bonus tip. Complete FTO and STFU, complete firearms quals and STFU. I watched too many people that were new voice their opinions whether right or wrong. the established leadership can have fragile egos and you could see yourself not completing a probationary period and no your way out. Figure out how the establishment works. It is always better to leave on your own than be told to leave.

JPitts0117

I would definitely like to thank everyone who has replied. I am always more than happy to any advice and career help/tips I can get.
I am doing my best to get ready for the oral board, I have a few buddies who have recently taken them that are helping me try to get ready for them.
I also ask about the differences in the weapons systems not only because of the issued weapons but because I currently use said m&p as a daily carry weapon, and yes statistically I'll never need to fire it, but if that instance occurs I don't want any kind of doubt with my weapon. I shoot as often as budget will allow, but that's not as often as I'd like. I dry fire practice as well, but I still wonder if I would be better served by a different platform.

MrMurphy

I'm a cop on my 2nd year on the street. I'm also a shooter and have shot a lot of everything.

Agreed on the above sentiments. STFU, pass FTO and then see what you can do. Do not rock the boat.

My agency has issued Glock 21's since 1992 with the alternate being a G32 (don't ask....) however, our policy allows damn near any quality pistol to be used (in the major calibers) assuming you pay for it and the holster (6390). So while the vast majority of us are carrying G21s, we have M&Ps, high end 1911s and the odd XD or Sig floating around.

I started shooting Glocks in 1992, started carrying one in 1999. Carried a Glock as my primary from 2000-2014. I obviously did not have an issue with carrying a Glock. I shot an M&P in .40 in the academy. The M&Ps fit me slightly better with the small backstrap, and while I'm not a .40 fan I shoot them fine.

My training department knew that while I was a new cop, I was on par with them for experience and training and didn't treat me like a total idiot (at least on firearms stuff). They also understood while on FTO I did not rock the boat. We generally preclude earpieces and WML (pistol) until the new kids get off FTO. 2 years later I'm still rocking the G21, added a 300U 2 months after I got on my own.

While I'd ideally like an M&P 9mm or possibly a VP9, the statement that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Glock armorer is true. We've got at least 8 i can think of, and we're not a huge agency (130 or so). I don't shoot the M&P "so" much better than a G17 that it really matters to me. I'm no Miculek and I don't get to shoot or train as much as I would like, but i've shot expert on our quals every single time (which isn't THAT hard). There's a hell of a lot of other stuff to be worried about if you're still at the "get hired" level.

I'd carry a G22 without any issue if it was a current-gen one and proven reliable with a WML. As others have said, the .40 has killed the shit out of some bad guys. While the 22 is my least favorite of the full size Glocks, they work fine.

As it is, we're in the middle of transitioning the entire department to 17s as the budget allows.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Much like others, I've had both, though not in a professional capacity. I started out with M&Ps of various recopies, but realize that I shot the Glocks better, even if they didn't feel anywhere near as well. So now I'm carrying Glocks (17/19). It's nice not to have to spend as much on Glocks for accessories, and they will be the most supported handgun available.

Longeye

Established
I cut my teeth on 1911. I carried either a 1911 or G22/23 for more than ten years. When I went reserve deputy, the policy was (is) to carry only the issued M&P 40. I hated it. But it would run reliably with a WML, unlike the Glocks at the time. And it is a nicer platform for use with a Crimeson Trace Laser than the Glock. After taking a class or two on my own, I got used to it. Now it would not matter which of the three I carried. Each has their strengths and quirks. It is more about the software than the hardware.
All being equal, I prefer the Glock on a budget or Les Bear if I'm in the money. The training on my own time has been the real key regardless of platform.

JPitts0117

So for those who commented on my thread, a little news. I did pt,written and oral board interview for one of the depts mentioned above today. Started the day out with 22, everyone made it through pt, then on to the written test, 9/22 passed the written myself included in that 9. Those 9 went on to oral board interview. I am not positive but I believe I did well. I guess I'll know if I get a call for a chief interview

Lot's of really great advice above... My agency (A large one, about 10,000) switched from G17 to M&P 9 a couple of years ago. we see more issues such as failures to extract and failures to eject with the M&P, but not by a whole lot. The Glocks are also more accurate, but those issues have been documented across the interwebz. Both guns experience far less issues than the G22's we issued. We get about 50 recruits a month, every month, for the last 5 years or so, so we see a lot of guns go through.

JPitts0117

Lot's of really great advice above... My agency (A large one, about 10,000) switched from G17 to M&P 9 a couple of years ago. we see more issues such as failures to extract and failures to eject with the M&P, but not by a whole lot. The Glocks are also more accurate, but those issues have been documented across the interwebz. Both guns experience far less issues than the G22's we issued. We get about 50 recruits a month, every month, for the last 5 years or so, so we see a lot of guns go through.
Man that's a huge Dept

Sunshine_Shooter

Established

So for a 10,000 officer dept who ran G22s, G17s, and now M&P 9s, the Glock 22 has far more issues than the M&P9? Considering how many officers across the US carry a G22, that makes the M&P9 look pretty good to me. It makes the G17 look pretty good too, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. I wonder how the M&P reliability will stand up over time.