Finally! A ground guy replacement for Nomex flight gloves

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/...ound-guy-replacement-for-nomex-flight-gloves/

Nomex flight gloves are popular with ground pounders for many reasons. First, they’re in the system and pretty easy to get. Second, they offer just enough protection to prevent minor scrapes, cuts and burns that would otherwist distract you without causing a major loss of dexterity. But, they barely take the sting out of touching cold metal, do nothing to keep you warm when they get wet, and they fall apart when exposed to a barely a couple weeks worth of sweat and hard use.

Velocity Systems took a long look at what guys like about the issued Nomex flight glove and addressed every shortcoming with their new Trigger Glove ($44).

The thin glove forms a second skin using supple, yet durable Pittard’s leather on the palm with a Merino Wool and Nylon blend on the back. The result is a wonder of dexterity that improves on the beloved Nomex Flight Glove in key areas, namely durability and comfort.

Worn alone, the Trigger Glove is ideal for weapon manipulation, driving and handling all manner of metal in three, or perhaps all four seasons. It’s also thin enough to wear under heavy winter gloves, offering protection when your digits come out for fine work. Start looking for them Friday at dealers and on Velocity System’s webstore.

Mick-boy

VIP
I've been hunting for new go-to gloves for awhile. The Overlords are good but don't fit me really well. I miss SWMS...

Hopefully these gloves are as good as the rest of Velocity's stuff.

AMK

These are now up on the VS website if you guys are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Armor

Vendor
The sizes are a bit tight (intentionally) but are fairly consistent. I'm a Medium across the usual suspects, the medium Trigger Glove fits as it should (snug). If you are on the outer limits of a medium consider going up if you want a little more room. Don't go down in size though from what you are used to, they will be way too tight. So far I am really digging them, don't see going back to nomex anytime soon.
vr
Mike

photo 1 (2).jpg

AMK

Awesome. I ordered a Med. and large set, looks like the Med. should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I've got the OR Ironsights, Arc Assault FR's, and these. I'll post up my impressions in the next month or so once I have some time on all three.

Bronson

Fury
image.jpg image.jpg I know one guy who blew through a pair of these in a 3-hour window during a Shoothouse class.

Points of failure were as follows:

1) Seam by web of finger
2) Velcro closure strap

Not sure if those were an outlier of poor QA/QC or indicative of mass issues.

I never liked flight gloves, and don't foresee trying these anytime soon.

I found the best compromise between protection/dexterity/price point to be the Hatch Operator gloves, though I am also trying out two of Mechanix's offerings in Multicam. I just wish Mechanix didn't graffiti their name everywhere on them, makes me feel like a NASCAR driver in addition to sticking out from a pattern.

AT Armor

Vendor
I know one guy who blew through a pair of these in a 3-hour window during a Shoothouse class.

Points of failure were as follows:

1) Seam by web of finger
2) Velcro closure strap

Not sure if those were an outlier of poor QA/QC or indicative of mass issues.

I never liked flight gloves, and don't foresee trying these anytime soon.

I found the best compromise between protection/dexterity/price point to be the Hatch Operator gloves, though I am also trying out two of Mechanix's offerings in Multicam. I just wish Mechanix didn't graffiti their name everywhere on them, makes me feel like a NASCAR driver in addition to sticking out from a pattern.

Were these yours or a pic of the reported failure from your bud? Either way hit Russ up at Velocity to square this up. If you need help getting resolution please let me know and Ill be glad to assist.

Bronson

Fury
Negative - not mine; a dude I took a shotgun class with.

Quinn's taking care of him. Thanks for reaching out.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
I hate gloves but always seem to try them. I bought a pair this morning from Appalachian Amd had my shipping notice 30 minutes later, that is fast fucking service for you. Thanks Mike

Matt

Staff member
I may pick up a set once I happen upon them in a shop and can inspect them first-hand ::rim-shot::. I am still in search of a viable replacement to the venerable SWMS Vent Gloves that CamelBak so obscenely and distastefully reproduces after acquiring that company.

Matt

Staff member
Seriously? They look like shit... The stupid winged skull cartoon is so gay looking and they plaster it on the top of the glove. Also they only come in one color, target-indicator black. My main gripe is with the lack of earthy colors and the stupid huge logo. Has the construction improved some how? I always appreciated how there was no stupid rubberized crap on the Velcro closure of the SWMS glove and it looks like CamelBak have added that.

Matt

Staff member
Upon a second reading I am afraid I may have misinterpreted your post as saying the CamelBak gloves are better than the SWMS gloves. Disregard, you obviously meant to say the Velocity Systems gloves are better than the CamelBak abortions.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
^^^yes. The Camelbaks have all the fabulous features you mention. The velocity systems are truly a second skin, but I can see where they MIGHT come apart quickly. Thin materials, nothing about the quality of sewing. But they're cheap, so six months would be OK.