Ceramic vs Steel vs ???

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
Currently there are four common options for Level III plates:

5-6 mm steel (AR500/R50c/AR46100) plates:
Level III steel plates offer a very thin profile, but are a bit heavier (6.5-7.5 lbs for a 10x12 plate) than some other options. They are very durable and offer inexpensive multi-hit capability against even closely spaced non-AP 7.62 x 39 mm and 7.62 x 51 mm projectiles, as well as for heavier 5.56 mm loads, including 62 gr M855 “green-tip”. Unfortunately, many lightweight (55 gr or less) 5.56 mm loads will defeat steel plates, including the extremely common 55 gr FMJ loads like M193. It is a VERY good idea to wear level IIIa soft armor underneath steel plates.

Hard compressed polyethelene (Dyneema/Spectra) plates:
These are very lightweight (3-4 lbs for a 10 x 12 plate) multi- hit capable level III plates that will stop closely spaced hits of both the lightweight 5.56 mm ammo that defeats steel, along with the 7.62 mm threats stopped by steel, as well expanding rifle ammunition in many hunting calibers. Unfortunately, hard polyethelene plates are often perforated by current military issue 5.56 mm 62 gr M855 FMJ “green-tip” and 5.56 mm M855A1 62 gr ammunition. While not necessarily required, it is not a bad idea for compressed polyethelene plates to be worn in conjunction with soft level IIIa armor underneath.

Non-ceramic hybrid plates:
These combine several non-ceramic materials, for example both steel and hard polyethelene layers, and appear to offer the most robust protection of any current level III plates. They are very durable and stop multiple closely spaced hits of almost all non-AP ammo, including high velocity 5.56 mm threats, as well as M855; however they are typically a bit heavier (7-7.5 lbs for a 10 x 12 plate) than some other types of hard armor. These are typically NIJ stand- alone capable, so soft armor is usually not required underneath. These plates typically are quite durable and generally do not require annual non-destructive testing.

Ceramic plates: These plates are relatively lightweight (4-6 lbs for a 10 x 12 plate) for the protection provided, but can be more susceptible to occult damage in day-to-day use, and usually cannot withstand as many closely spaced hits as other plate types. Ceramic plates should ideally undergo non-destructive testing (x-ray, ultrasound, etc...) each year to ensure that hidden cracks are not present. Ceramic plates are available in both in-conjunction and stand-alone configurations. Note that almost all level IV plates use ceramic elements in order to stop AP rounds.

Ceramic hybrid plates:
Most ceramic hybrid plates combine ceramic materials like silicone carbide, aluminum oxide, or boron carbide along with various other materials, including metal, compressed polyethelene, etc... These plates are often heavier than pure ceramic plates, but are a bit more robust, with potentially better multi-hit protection and greater durability. Nonetheless, periodic non-destructive analysis is recommended because of the ceramic elements. Ceramic hybrid designs are often used in stand-alone level IV plates intended to stop AP projectiles.

Longeye

Established
Well, it depends on how good a deal you get. XL plates in my price range just didn't grow on trees.

The thing is...Level IV plates are not generally available in any size but 10x12ish. So in this scenario, you are dealing with a cheap plate that is quite thick but really to small for your coverage needs, and only rated to stop a single shot of a single type of round that is uncommon in the USA (.30-06 AP).

Level IV plates are absolutely irrelevant to 99.9% of the USA user base. Lower cost and a profound misunderstanding of what they stop and what the threat matrix in the US consists of are the ONLY reasons they are still purchased and produced. That said:

If you are wearing plates only to cover an insurance requirement for a class you will take once, most anything will work. If you are wearing plates on duty or in the sincere expectation that you will be shot by a motivated person with a rifle, then you need properly sized plates that are rated for the threat(s) that you can reasonably expect to face over the next few years. At this point cost of the plates starts to go further down list of things to consider important.

The industry is finally starting to respond and we now have quality, affordable, thin Level III+ SAPI dimension plates. The last couple years have been very positive in this regard.

MG6

DocGKR's info is much appreaciated again.

If I have a department soft vest and wanted a personal carrier to wear over or alone, it sounds like non ceramic hybrid is the way to go. I will take another 2lbs per plate (10x12) in order to have the tougher and longer lasting plates, and im not keen on getting them xrayed each year....although, I probably could get a quick pic taken for free at my clinic.....

I received POC recommendations from GKR earlier this year, but if he or anyone else has further recomendations that would be much appreciated

CrazyDoc

Amateur
Also if you guys work at a Sheriff's Office and have a jail, most jails have a guy that comes around and does in house xray. Make friends with said guy and you'll always be able to get xray done for free. I had a rather large stack of plates checked this way.

Longeye

Established
If I have a department soft vest and wanted a personal carrier to wear over or alone, it sounds like non ceramic hybrid is the way to go. I will take another 2lbs per plate (10x12) in order to have the tougher and longer lasting plates, and im not keen on getting them xrayed each year....although, I probably could get a quick pic taken for free at my clinic.....

Ceramic plates are tougher than people give them credit for. They are made out of modern materials, and designed to be used in a rough duty environment. Given about the same level of care as you would your soft armor, you will get many years of service out of ceramic plates.

If you are worried about point loading of the plates, a thin sheet of HDPE slide in your carrier on the outside of the plate will minimize that concern.

Grayman

Established
I've always laughed a little at the concept of ceramic plates being equivocated to fine china when it comes to handling.... It's designed to stop high velocity rifle rounds it's not going to splinter the first time you lay on it.

I don't take life saving equipment lightly but I also understand the physics of the situation. I don't want to put myself in undue jeopardy but I believe in training how you fight.

Take care of your gear but don't put it on a pedestal

CBank

I will share my limited experience:
I purchased the Sentry Plate Carrier with curved and coated lvl III plates (10 x 12), with a lvl IIIA Soft armor (10x12) which serves as a trama pad in the front. Why: I worked armed security over the summer, and figured I would buy it, but without planning on making LE a career I was okay with the fact that it wasn't Ceramic. The shelf-life is infinite. It can be packed in my go bag in the back of my truck and I can drive like a mad man. IT WAS CHEAP (I think this is the main motivating factor) and it was new, not surplus.
What i've learned since then is that it is Heavy! The plates, carrier, 3 pistol mags, cuffs all add up. After a 8 hour shift it was heavy!

adam_s

Plates don't have a shelf-life. That date stamped on them is just the date for which manufacturer warranty support ends.

What lab tested those Lvl III plates for stopping M193? Sure they may stop M855, but with M193 as common here in the US as it is, you've got a very large hole in your threat envelope-which may unfortunately result in large holes in you...

Also-why run a "trauma pad" on stand alone armor? If they're ICW plates, you need to be running backers for both panels. If you're concerned with spall, that is coming off the front face of the plate, not the back face-thus a backer would do little to help there.

There's a lot of good armor out there...I'm still not convinced that coated steel is one of those options.

CBank

Thank you Adam_S, for the reply. I have learned a lot since I originally posted, and needed to fix some errors. For one, I appreciate the point you made of testing. AR500 provided many videos of them "testing" there armor against many of the common rifle rounds up to 30-06. Now I fully recognize that just because they shot it and put it up on Youtube does not meant they were tested to NIJ conditions or controls.
I bought it based on a recommendation given to me by a senior employee of the security firm I worked for and he based that recommendation on cost. As far as the "trama pad" the level 3a soft armor is used for, back face deformation mitigation reducing blunt force trama. But they also served as soft armor suitable for my job as well. Oh and I have them on front and back sorry.
Someone told me if you buy steel you will buy twice. I think that is true. Although I got a very good deal on the armor, I am left wanting a more standardized option. The Steel worked great for the season that I used it in, but now that I am more informed I would have done things differently.