Can for SBR

adam_s

I have a Saker762, and am quite the fan. I'll side with Jake on this, and say that for what you lose in overall suppression ability between a 556 and 762 can, you more than make up for in versatility. While yes, this is for a patrol weapon, I'm going to ASSUME that it will be personally owned. That means that the end user could very well want to use it on other systems when not working. Having one can that I can swap between my SCAR17, and my 556SBR is pretty nice.

JStanton

Anyone have experience with the new Rugged Suppressors Surge 7.62?

Looks pretty sweet. Length can be shortened and end caps can swap between 5.56 and 7.62. Being able to switch between a quieter full size and compact K-length would be pretty handy.

Unobtanium

Ironically, my 5.56 cans are all I use. My .30 cal SOCOM 762RC and SOCOM 762 MINI are just shelf-warmers. I have no use for them in the near future, either. I've seen too many broken saker systems to recommend them. I'm a Surefire guy, and failing that, AAC would be my pick at this point in time. AAC mini 4, or SOCOM/2 556 MINI

N

nate89

I had a customer with a broken saker mounting system come into the range last week.

adam_s

What part of the Saker mounting system are you seeing fail? I know of issues with it refusing to unlock if it is installed onto a hot gun, and then allowed to cool. I also know it can be cranky to unlock if the mount is locked while not mounted on a muzzle device.

That being said, I'd not call those, "broken."

N

nate89

The can would not install onto the mount. It appeared that something had broken loose inside the mount that was preventing it from seating fully. I had the calipers out and from the measurements it seemed like it should have attached just fine, but it wouldn't fully seat onto the flash hider. He has since contacted SiCo, but I haven't heard anything past his visit last week.

N

nate89

I am not saying that the Saker mounting system is inherently flawed (I don't have nearly enough experience with them to say that), just my experience with a single mount.

adam_s

Nate-I actually know of that issue. What happens there is if you close the mount when it's not mounted on a gun, it will be next-to-impossible to reopen all the way, at least barehanded. That last click to get the mount fully open is exceedingly stiff. It can be reopened, it just takes either a shit-ton of hand strength to apply that torque, or a strap wrench.

I agree, the mounting system can be a bit cranky-I just never saw, "broken," with one.

(I have no dog in this fight, other than owning a Saker-so please don't think I was calling you out. I was more concerned about it breaking in ways that I'd never seen/heard of before)

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
...are you sure? I ask only because multiple Surefire reps recommended the 30cal can to me specifically for use on 30cal and smaller...

- Jake

tact

Nate-I actually know of that issue. What happens there is if you close the mount when it's not mounted on a gun, it will be next-to-impossible to reopen all the way, at least barehanded. That last click to get the mount fully open is exceedingly stiff. It can be reopened, it just takes either a shit-ton of hand strength to apply that torque, or a strap wrench.

I agree, the mounting system can be a bit cranky-I just never saw, "broken," with one.

(I have no dog in this fight, other than owning a Saker-so please don't think I was calling you out. I was more concerned about it breaking in ways that I'd never seen/heard of before)

I'm assuming we're all talking about the Trifecta mount specifically, as all of the other MAAD mounts haven't experienced any issues.

Agree that it's certainly not broken. The notches on the side shouldn't fall into each other. I did this several times just screwing around with it ratcheting it back and forth while it was off my rifle. I was able to put it in the correct spot for proper function after I did some googling. I have two Sakers and a Specwar and am extremely happy with all of them.

N

nate89

I wasn't thinking you were calling me out at all. Like I said, I only had a sample of one-and I had never heard of the issue of closing it without it mounted. That actually makes a lot of sense, and I will let the guy know that may be his problem. I haven't looked through the manual for the saker, but does it mention not closing it unmounted? If it really is that hard to re-open all the way, you'd think that people finger banging their cans would do that quite a bit, and that ends up being lots of angry calls to customer service. I appreciate your feedback-that's what I like about this forum. Now when I run into a similar problem again, I'll have actual useful advice to offer.

adam_s

The manual doesn't mention that...but I came across it somewhere-a Youtube video maybe?
There is a difference in force required between a "normal," rotation click, and the last one to fully unlock the can. Most folks just screwing around won't fully engage the lock, but if you DO accidentally engage it, it's a true rat bastard to unlock. I'd suggest it be a two person job-one to hold the can, the other to twist the locking ring. You can also go with a strap wrench. If you're solo, a lot of patience, and gloves with good grip will eventually lead you to unlocking it.

adam_s

It's an older can, and it's heavy (if you're talking about the Trek, and not the Trek-T). However, it's also only $400, which can be hard to argue with.

That being said, for not too much more, you could go with something like the SilencerCo Specwar K ($555 at Capitol Armory) that you can swap between guns with ease.

Are you considering putting the Trek under the rail of your SBR? If so, I'd suggest not doing that. Even a moderate firing schedule will warm the rails up quite a lot, which will increase the suck factor of shooting.

Michael Ray

Vendor
I'll look into the Specwar. The cheapest I've found the Trek was $518 so $400 is fantastic.

My forend is a 10" ALG EMR so the can will be entirely outside of the handgaurd.

Thanks for the input.