Can for SBR

Tricks

Amateur
I have a 12 in BCM upper on my SBR. In looking for a can for it, any recommendations? I have been looking at the Surefire Socom Mini 556. I'm not looking for anything crazy, I'm not a secret bearded cool patch collector. I just use this rifle while on patrol (LEO), and don't want to blow my ears out if I end up shooting inside. The muzzle blast on it now is stout. I have the BCM flash hider/comp on it now.

Tricks

Amateur
Sorry for the bad spelling. I did it on my phone and did not read it over until it was to late to edit.

Lobsterclaw207

I have the SilencerCo Saker in 7.62 but with a 5.56 flash hider end cap. It has pretty impressive sound suppression but is not ear safe without any type of earpro.

I use it on my patrol rifle which has a 12.5" BCM upper, which I assume is what you meant. It's QD feature works well and drama free.

Downsides: Length and Weight, (duh). I knew the 7.62 version would be longer and heavier than the 5.56 Saker but I wanted to be able to use it on more weapons, and I heard good things about the 7.62 can/5.56 endcap combo. The weight absolutely helps reduce muzzle rise and felt recoil. I've become more accurate and probably faster shot-to-shot with it, although I haven't measured this scientifically.

Saker is cool. Right after I bought it pretty much everybody came out with new designs it seemed like. My advice would be to decide what your priority is, Size or Sound Suppression (or price) and buy accordingly. That seems to be the triangle of capabilities for suppressors in my limited experience.

I have been running a YHM Phantom with QD mount on a 10.5 since 2008 and it's ear safe. It's a plain Jane can that for has worked well for me.

Horsehide

If you are looking at a good balance between decent sound reduction to size, check out the Silencerco Specwar 556 K.

275RLTW

I run a GemTech HALO primarily on my 10.5" gun. The titanium model is just over 12 oz, ear safe, and works on any A2 flash hider. The HALO is bombproof, grunt proof, and best value.

BC98

I'd second the suggestion for a Specwar 556K. I've got an Omega in jail now but absolutely plan on a 556K to run dedicated for my SBR's.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I'll be the voice of dissent here. Don't get a 5.56 can. I speak from experience; my first can was a Gemtech Piranha (thread-on 5.56), and I never use it anymore. Look at the Surefire 7.62 Mini (or similar); it will allow you to use the same can on other guns (.308, 7mm, 300BLK, etc.). I know this doesn't seem like a need now, but you will appreciate it later when you want that pimp little 300BLK upper for your SBR.

- Jake

275RLTW

I'll be the voice of dissent here. Don't get a 5.56 can. I speak from experience; my first can was a Gemtech Piranha (thread-on 5.56), and I never use it anymore. Look at the Surefire 7.62 Mini (or similar); it will allow you to use the same can on other guns (.308, 7mm, 300BLK, etc.). I know this doesn't seem like a need now, but you will appreciate it later when you want that pimp little 300BLK upper for your SBR.

- Jake

It's for his patrol rifle. Any LEO anywhere using .30 cal on patrol?

Lobsterclaw207

Some do. A department in my area was actually using AK's for patrol rifles for a while.... they have since switched (go figure).

I'm curious about the "ear safe" claims a lot of people make. As I understand it, even if you think it's ear safe (doesn't blast your drums and hurt when firing) you could still be doing damage to your hearing that you don't experience as pain.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor

Bottom line - If he buys a can, he will want to use it on other things in the future.

You'd be surprised at some of the non-5.56 guns you see in law enforcement, but that's not relevant to the discussion.

- Jake

275RLTW

Using a larger caliber supressor on a smaller caliber is less efficient (more noise), larger size, and more weight. Since the original concern is for it to be "ear safe" on a patrol rifle, going bigger would be detrimental in almost every aspect. What ever happened to using the right tool for the job? While having 1 large supressor for several calibers may be OK for the range shooter, it's not the right tool for this application.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
There are a few issues that I think you may be glossing over; first, no suppressor will reduce the noise in a 5.56 SBR to the point that it's actually hearing-safe (link re: weighted decibels follows). Second, the original poster stated that he wanted something to reduce the effects, not eliminate them ("...don't want to to blow my ears out if I end up shooting inside...muzzle blast is stout"). Third, the right tool for the job is the one that provides the most performance and value; since it's his money and not the department's, and since it's his wait time for the ATF approval, my assertion was that a 7.62 can WAS the right tool for the job. He of course has the freedom to agree or disagree, but I'm not sure why you took issue with it.

Wikipedia article re: suppressors (note section on effectiveness)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

Article stating that a .223 rifle is about 165db
http://www.shootersdepot.com/suppscience.html

While posting those links, I also remembered this; even if we imagine that the original poster is shooting a fully suppressed rifle with subsonic ammunition and no noise/gas escaping from the action...if he's shooting a rifle indoors, it's very likely to be (or develop into) a 2-way issue with multiple people there. Unless all his teammates and all the bad guys have suppressors/subsonics/etc. as well, then our whole discussion about "hearing-safe" becomes drastically less important, as the SITUATION is not hearing-safe, even if he could get a 5.56 SBR to be.

- Jake

Last edited:

275RLTW

Average db reduction from a 556 can is about 26-33 db from what I've found from various mfgs. Only 21-28 db average from 7.6 cans (with .30 cal rounds; Surefire would not list theirs). Since the amount of dbs reduced when shooting smaller caliber out of a larger can is less, then the sound reduction for the way you are advocating is generally less than 21-28 dbs. Those are all less effective then a dedicated 556 can. While none will get completely ear safe, every decibel counts. Today, my 10'5" SBR with Battlecomp 2.1 shot 148 db at the muzzle, 120 db with Gemtech Halo (using M855). Anything over 100 db is considered hazardous according to the CDC. That's a reduction of 23% compared to a 7.62 can at 16% (notional @ 21 db reduction). Additionally, if value is your concern, then a $1400 SureFire 7.62 suppressor is not within those lines when there are other viable 7.62 options at less than half the cost.

Considering the 2 way noise, there is a huge difference based upon my experience, even in a hallway, of having yourself suppressed and possibly others with you. Unless the other shooter is right on top of you, their noise is greatly reduced anyways.

I don't have any interest in this discussion as I'm not sales for anything other than I see too many people, who aren't shooters, advocate bigger can for no reason other than their friends said so. I don't know you and I'm not implying anything here. Only providing facts and lessons I've learned the hard way.

This may not be the most scientific test.. but .30 cal cans are actually really close to 5.56 cans.

Surefire just released their new 300 SPS can that retails for less than $1000

5.56 Suppressors:

JStanton

I have a Surefire Socom 556-RC on my 11.5" BCM. A shooting buddy has the Specwar 5.56 and it is quieter than my Surefire. Not greatly quieter but you can tell a difference. It's heavier and has more blowback too so there's a trade off. As loud as mine is with the full size Surefire, I wouldn't consider a mini for an SBR.