Best fixed blade knife for a battle belt.

I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on fixed blade knives on battle belts. Do you keep one on your belt? If so what size/features do you prefer? How do you carry it on your belt, strong side, weak side, scout carry?
I am currently running an Esee 4 on my battle belt at about my 4 o'clock right behind my hand gun. I find this doesn't interfere with my draw and it is quickly accessible. I am thinking that I might like a slightly bigger knife and to maybe change it to my off side so that I can draw it with either hand.
I would love to hear suggestions on this.

For what it's worth.
I know Chuck carried a tomahawk instead during his time in. This can be found in a very large battle belts thread on the forum. Bill Blowers has some stuff discussing it's usefulness.
Breaking a lock

Breaking into a car

Chuck carried it on his left side on a swivel "holster/thing. This allowed it to rotate. IIRC, he said he carried it at his 7 - 7:30

For what it's worth.
I know Chuck carried a tomahawk instead during his time in. This can be found in a very large battle belts thread on the forum. Bill Blowers has some stuff discussing it's usefulness.
Breaking a lock

Chuck carried it on his left side on a swivel "holster/thing. This allowed it to rotate. IIRC, he said he carried it at his 7 - 7:30
I have thought of adding a tomahawk to my belt, perhaps in addition to my knife. I have always liked the utility aspect that a hawk offers and they work pretty great for defense as well. My number one reason for a fixed blade it utility and then defense second, since if I'm wearing my battler belt I already have my rifle and handgun.

In general I have been trying to keep the weight down somewhat, but if it merits the weight I will still add it.

I would advise against having a fixed knife and a tomahawk. Having 1-2 folders on you always makes sense, but you can store these in your pants or even a dedicated pocket. That will give you most of any utility that a fixed knife would give you. Even better, a good multitool and 1 folding knife.

I do have a folder in my pocket and a multi tool on my belt. I've always liked the strength a fixed blade offered. I have also always like tomahawks. I think I'm more sold on moving towards a tomahawk than a bigger fixed blade like and Esee 5 or 6.

What is the purpose of your battle belt? Is it for an SHTF survival situation? If you're going to have a gun on you, I would select anything that's not a gun as a tool first and a weapon second. I think a decent sized fixed-blade knife is a more versatile survival tool than a tomahawk, although a tomahawk might be a better weapon.

The only large fixed-blade knife I've got any experience with is a USMC-style Ka-Bar. It's served me very well the past 6 years or so. I've beaten the hell out of it and while it definitely doesn't look new, it still functions perfectly well and I can put an edge on it that will take the hair off my arm. There are probably better, more modern designs out there but I don't have any experience with them personally.

Tomahawk is a great choice to carry. It provides wider possibilities, able to harm heavier, an excellent pick for throwing. That being said, it's all-around weapon. Click here if you're looking to get one. Those guys write awesome reviews based on the people's personal experience and some online researches!

shoobe01

I would advise against having a fixed knife and a tomahawk. Having 1-2 folders on you always makes sense, but you can store these in your pants or even a dedicated pocket. That will give you most of any utility that a fixed knife would give you. Even better, a good multitool and 1 folding knife.
I also add EMT shears. They do a lot of things that you end up doing with even a knife with essentially no chance of injuring yourself. Plus, really good ones are dirt cheap, weigh very little, and no need for a sheath! I just stick them though the MOLLE webbing between some pouch or other, and the rig.

Believe in this more every time I go on a big trip, where my tiny TSA compliant multitool, and a flashlight, is all I have. Usually I do carry a folder, but when I have to, I can do 98% of all my tool tasks with the file and the scissors on there.

If I have LBE on, things would have to get really, really bad before I wanted to kill someone with a knife, and at that point I am just as "happy" to stab them with the dull shears, or beat them with NOD mounts, water bottles, etc.