Best fixed blade knife for a battle belt.

locke1117

I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on fixed blade knives on battle belts. Do you keep one on your belt? If so what size/features do you prefer? How do you carry it on your belt, strong side, weak side, scout carry?
I am currently running an Esee 4 on my battle belt at about my 4 o'clock right behind my hand gun. I find this doesn't interfere with my draw and it is quickly accessible. I am thinking that I might like a slightly bigger knife and to maybe change it to my off side so that I can draw it with either hand.
I would love to hear suggestions on this.

Frosty_Bear

For what it's worth.
I know Chuck carried a tomahawk instead during his time in. This can be found in a very large battle belts thread on the forum. Bill Blowers has some stuff discussing it's usefulness.
Breaking a lock

Breaking into a car

Chuck carried it on his left side on a swivel "holster/thing. This allowed it to rotate. IIRC, he said he carried it at his 7 - 7:30

locke1117

For what it's worth.
I know Chuck carried a tomahawk instead during his time in. This can be found in a very large battle belts thread on the forum. Bill Blowers has some stuff discussing it's usefulness.
Breaking a lock

Chuck carried it on his left side on a swivel "holster/thing. This allowed it to rotate. IIRC, he said he carried it at his 7 - 7:30

I have thought of adding a tomahawk to my belt, perhaps in addition to my knife. I have always liked the utility aspect that a hawk offers and they work pretty great for defense as well. My number one reason for a fixed blade it utility and then defense second, since if I'm wearing my battler belt I already have my rifle and handgun.

In general I have been trying to keep the weight down somewhat, but if it merits the weight I will still add it.

Frosty_Bear

I would advise against having a fixed knife and a tomahawk. Having 1-2 folders on you always makes sense, but you can store these in your pants or even a dedicated pocket. That will give you most of any utility that a fixed knife would give you. Even better, a good multitool and 1 folding knife.

locke1117

I do have a folder in my pocket and a multi tool on my belt. I've always liked the strength a fixed blade offered. I have also always like tomahawks. I think I'm more sold on moving towards a tomahawk than a bigger fixed blade like and Esee 5 or 6.

Western

Amateur
What is the purpose of your battle belt? Is it for an SHTF survival situation? If you're going to have a gun on you, I would select anything that's not a gun as a tool first and a weapon second. I think a decent sized fixed-blade knife is a more versatile survival tool than a tomahawk, although a tomahawk might be a better weapon.

The only large fixed-blade knife I've got any experience with is a USMC-style Ka-Bar. It's served me very well the past 6 years or so. I've beaten the hell out of it and while it definitely doesn't look new, it still functions perfectly well and I can put an edge on it that will take the hair off my arm. There are probably better, more modern designs out there but I don't have any experience with them personally.

Tomahawk is a great choice to carry. It provides wider possibilities, able to harm heavier, an excellent pick for throwing. That being said, it's all-around weapon. Click here if you're looking to get one. Those guys write awesome reviews based on the people's personal experience and some online researches!

shoobe01

Established
I would advise against having a fixed knife and a tomahawk. Having 1-2 folders on you always makes sense, but you can store these in your pants or even a dedicated pocket. That will give you most of any utility that a fixed knife would give you. Even better, a good multitool and 1 folding knife.
I also add EMT shears. They do a lot of things that you end up doing with even a knife with essentially no chance of injuring yourself. Plus, really good ones are dirt cheap, weigh very little, and no need for a sheath! I just stick them though the MOLLE webbing between some pouch or other, and the rig.

Believe in this more every time I go on a big trip, where my tiny TSA compliant multitool, and a flashlight, is all I have. Usually I do carry a folder, but when I have to, I can do 98% of all my tool tasks with the file and the scissors on there.

If I have LBE on, things would have to get really, really bad before I wanted to kill someone with a knife, and at that point I am just as "happy" to stab them with the dull shears, or beat them with NOD mounts, water bottles, etc.

JuMKs

I suppose the best fixed blade knife for a battle belt means best fixed knife for EDC?
162.jpg
This is my Buschcrafter 162.

One thing that will always impress us about Benchmade is their sharpening and oiling policy. They’ll help you keep your knife in prime condition for the life of the product, and that’s not the kind of policy you see every day.

https://wildproofgear.com/best-survival-knife/

I like how ESEE 6 performed, but it' too huge and heavy for EDC. I'd say it's the most durable knife in this price range.

Frosty_Bear

@JuMKs
For concealed, most people prefer the clinch pick or a push dagger.

They're much more difficult to remove from your hand in a wrestling environment and their general shape lends very well to conceal carry. Not saying other knives don't work, just that that seems to be the trend.

JamesW

Not on my battle belt, but I do carry a Winkler Blue Ridge Hunter on my plate carrier. I find it’s a good trade off size-size. It’s not too big to be in the way, but still big enough to be useful.

0G3AXm.jpg

My favorite fixed blades are from Bark River, I prefer a convex/scandi/scandi-vex grind. Kabar/Becker, tops, Esee also all make great fixed blades. The Sog seal pup and morakniv Garberg are also quite good.