9mm Ammo Selection

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Network Support II
I’ve just always preferred the heavier for caliber option.
I train with NATO Spec 9. The 2 rounds feel so substantially similar thru my comp to me that I’ve found no reason to switch to the 124 +P HST. At least not until the 147 +P supply runs totally dry. It’s getting close to happening. . I do have an on hand supply of the 124+P should that day ever come, though.
Does the NATO spec (124gr +p ish) not shoot closer to the 124+P HST POI than it does the 147s? There is a substantial shift between the two in all of my handguns.

Rick

Does the NATO spec (124gr +p ish) not shoot closer to the 124+P HST POI than it does the 147s? There is a substantial shift between the two in all of my handguns.

Rick
Sure there’s a shift. Most of my training is on a 1/3 scale steel silhouette. From 10 to 30 yards or so I get good center of mass hits. I haven’t really set out to find how much of a difference there is between the 2 rounds. Would it help me to know that , I’m sure it would but I’ve always been a kind of against the grain guy. This little conversation may make me rethink and restructure some of my training regime. You’re asking me good thought provoking questions. Thanks.

Also note that the FBI provides ammo data to military entities quite frequently...
Doc,
No doubt. One of the senior people I know fairly well, told me that asking an outside agency would cause me issues professionally. :(

As noted, the black SXT is an older design that has a tendency to plug up in heavy clothing and is not barrier blind. There are better choices these days.

Consider:

Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
Remington Golden Saber bonded 124 gr +P JHP (GSB9MMD)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester 124 gr +P bonded JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr +P PT
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Speer G2 147 gr PT
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364/PDX1)
Thank you for the list, I have gone with the 147gr HST, and am planning on a bulk purchase sometime soon.
Look at SGammo. They have pretty good deals and treat normal customers well.
SGAmmo is excellent, the owner Sam IIRC, is very responsive to e-mail.