Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

MojoNixon

Established
DPP have had some high failure rates or so I’ve read anyway.
Is there any MRDS that hasn’t had a high failure rate or at least not had annoying issues ? The transition from full-size RDS’s to MRDS’s in my estimation is still in its infancy/teething phase.

SCSU74

I'm sure all the different factors of the X-Five slide have at least some effect on the recoil profile of the gun.

I had been looking at Safariland holster options, but it just didn't seem like there were any that would fit with everything I've done to this gun without significant modification. I'm hoping to see a Safariland option that would effectively fit a X-Five with X300U and slide-mounted optic, because that should in theory fit the X-Carry with compensator as I've got mine configured

The 6360rds works with the X5, x300 and RDS. You just have to pull the bottom guts out, my partner at work is using it for his with a Romeo.

SCSU74

The one Cowan tested in his white paper was north of 14K without any issues. It did however share the same fate as the romeo when dropped. He made a good point about Trijicon's patent, they may very well have the best design and everyone else is shooting for 2nd best.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with my DPP through 2K rounds. I carry it on duty and besides the short battery life I have nothing bad to say about it. I really like that it shares the romeo footprint so that it can be direct mounted fairly easily.

tact

The one Cowan tested in his white paper was north of 14K without any issues. It did however share the same fate as the romeo when dropped. He made a good point about Trijicon's patent, they may very well have the best design and everyone else is shooting for 2nd best.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with my DPP through 2K rounds. I carry it on duty and besides the short battery life I have nothing bad to say about it. I really like that it shares the romeo footprint so that it can be direct mounted fairly easily.

Glad it’s working on your duty gun. The battery life does seem to be a prevalent issue. As far as the failure rate, what I was seeing were mostly from guys that compete a lot. One particular avid shooter on PF has gone through reportedly ten of them in the last year. Perhaps the ACRO will be the answer or at least the next evolution of the MRDS.

SCSU74

Glad it’s working on your duty gun. The battery life does seem to be a prevalent issue. As far as the failure rate, what I was seeing were mostly from guys that compete a lot. One particular avid shooter on PF has gone through reportedly ten of them in the last year. Perhaps the ACRO will be the answer or at least the next evolution of the MRDS.

GJM also mentioned he hasn't had any failures after milling the pistols for them. All the failures he had were using mounting plates. I'm hoping the same.. Just curious how long it's going to take to find people to mill for them.

My first battery was a Panasonic and lasted 41 days.. Not impressed.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
As far as the failure rate, what I was seeing were mostly from guys that compete a lot. One particular avid shooter on PF has gone through reportedly ten of them in the last year.

I personally would not put a lot of stock in those results until I knew round counts for the optics in question. He could have broken each of them at 700 rounds each, or 3,000 rounds. A particularly avid shooter? It might be completely normal amounts of rounds, he just burned through them stupid fast. In fact, his sample of 10 would be very useful to help flesh out our communal knowledge of red dots on handgun slides.

tact

As far as the failure rate, what I was seeing were mostly from guys that compete a lot. One particular avid shooter on PF has gone through reportedly ten of them in the last year.

I personally would not put a lot of stock in those results until I knew round counts for the optics in question. He could have broken each of them at 700 rounds each, or 3,000 rounds. A particularly avid shooter? It might be completely normal amounts of rounds, he just burned through them stupid fast. In fact, his sample of 10 would be very useful to help flesh out our communal knowledge of red dots on handgun slides.

Ok, but personally I do and SCSU knows who I’m speaking of. The guy had reported/documented every failure and sent them back Leupy. Additionally, the same guy has reported his friend just hosed his fourth. So personally a DPP is not something I would carry based on those results and everything else I read. If things are working great for you.....then great.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'm just excited to see what Trijicon comes up with when .gov opens a RFP for an optic for the M17/M18.

My ideal pistol optic would be;

- RMR toughness
- Top-loading battery so you don't lose your zero
- Optionsl green LED
- Window about the same size as the Romeo1
- Trijicon's "owl ears" lens hood to protect from damage
- Integral rear sight

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Ok, but personally I do and SCSU knows who I’m speaking of. The guy had reported/documented every failure and sent them back Leupy. Additionally, the same guy has reported his friend just hosed his fourth. So personally a DPP is not something I would carry based on those results and everything else I read. If things are working great for you.....then great.

I think you misunderstand me. What round counts were those failures at? I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I'm just saying that him having a bunch of failures doesn't mean a lot if I don't know when those failures occurred. Did they happen in the 5 to 7 thousand round range? Did they happen under 2 thousand? Under 7 hundred? If you have that info, please share it with us.

tact

I think you misunderstand me. What round counts were those failures at? I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I'm just saying that him having a bunch of failures doesn't mean a lot if I don't know when those failures occurred. Did they happen in the 5 to 7 thousand round range? Did they happen under 2 thousand? Under 7 hundred? If you have that info, please share it with us.

The info is on the PF forum. I didn’t write down or record the details of each failure. I merely brought up potential problems for the poster that was going to switch to a DPP. I’d want to know and then form my opinion based on research if it was me.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well, I was having a bit of a slow, relaxed Saturday morning, so I decided to sit down and take stock on how this project has developed over the last few months. When I first purchased the P320, my goal was simply to build myself what I considered the ideal defensive pistol using modern methodologies and technologies. As I worked on the project and acquired more and more parts, though, the allure of modularity took hold and it's resulted in what amounts to my personal version of a "modular handgun system";

IMG_2410.JPG

For anyone who's curious what approximately $4,000 looks like in P320 form, there's your answer.

The capability and adaptability of this platform really is something that's become quite impressive to me. I set out to build one gun - Now I have as many pistols as my imagination can create;

IMG_2434.JPG
Fullsize/Compensated ("TactiComp")

IMG_2423.JPG
Concealable/Compensated ("The daywalking vampire", another hat-tip to Mr. Pressburg)

IMG_2429.JPG
Concealable/Compact ("I only have so much room in these pants!")

Thank you to all who have followed along and provided feedback/opinions/constructive criticism thus far, and I hope everyone continues to follow along - I have a feeling this is just the beginning for this incredible little blaster...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright, I've had some time to mess around with the Agis for a little while today and can give my first impressions. Let's get the basics out of the way before we get into the details; The initial fit and finish are fantastic, as to be expected. No sharp edges anywhere on the kydex, the draw is smooth, retention on the pistol and magazine is strong and easily independently adjustable. The holster is also very comfortable to sit/bend over while wearing. Due to the flex point in the middle of the holster, it does immediately feel more comfortable to wear than the Sidecar - The Agis adjusts to the curve of my body, rather than my body adjusting to the curve of the Sidecar. That makes a HUGE difference off the bat.

Another point of comparison between the Agis and the Sidecar is how high the magazine rides;

IMG_2453.JPG

As you can see, the magazine sits slightly lower in the Agis than in the Sidecar. Except, the Agis is holding the OEM 21- extended to 27-round magazine, and the Sidecar is holding the OEM 17- extended to 23-round magazine;

IMG_2459.JPG

The reason the Agis is able to hold a larger magazine lower than the Sidecar is because T1C allows you to specify in your order whether your spare mag is extended (options for +2, +4, and +6 extensions), and they then mold the spare mag carrier so that the extended mag sits no higher above your belt line than a stock magazine would. Pretty neat.

Another trick they've done to make larger spare magazines more concealable is to mold a small bump behind the belt clip on the magazine carrier;

IMG_2483.JPG

This acts in a similar manner to the "claw" that has become common-place on AIWB setups; it pushes against the belt and causes the end of the magazine to push in closer to your body.

These few tricks combined with the shorter grip length of the Compact grip module results in a package that completely disappears under a shirt that I'd wear on a daily basis;

IMG_2470.JPG

And, even more impressive, remains concealed even under just an undershirt;

IMG_2474.JPG

This is a Nike Pro workout shirt - If you're familiar with them, you know the material is basically thin spandex. It would generally be antithetical to trying to hide something under it (particular a still relatively large pistol with a magwell and extended spare magazine), and yet...

IMG_2478.JPG

Consider me impressed. I will of course need to do more practice drawing and see how the holster holds up over time, but for now I can fairly confidently say - If you're in the market for an AIWB holster+mag carrier setup, T1C should be on your list of considerations. Probably towards the top of it, in fact

SCSU74

I'm just excited to see what Trijicon comes up with when .gov opens a RFP for an optic for the M17/M18.

My ideal pistol optic would be;

- RMR toughness
- Top-loading battery so you don't lose your zero
- Optionsl green LED
- Window about the same size as the Romeo1
- Trijicon's "owl ears" lens hood to protect from damage
- Integral rear sight

Well the cut is for a Delta Point, so the easiest would be a delta point sized RMR. Or.. an ACRO plate that fits the DPP is probably what's going to happen.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well the cut is for a Delta Point, so the easiest would be a delta point sized RMR. Or.. an ACRO plate that fits the DPP is probably what's going to happen.

An RMR the same size/bolt pattern as a DPP with a top- or side-loading battery would be absolutely perfect.

I am also hopeful that the scenario described by Ash Hess in the "Road to the M17" Modcast occurs, namely that footprint and bolt pattern standardizes across the industry as a result of the RFP

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I am having some dastardly thoughts for further iterations of this project, involving Faxon Firearms, Jagerwerks, Revolution Concepts, Boresight Solutions, Apex Tactical, Range18, and one of the X-Five grip modules...

My bank account can't keep up with everything I want to do to this platform