X300U fail and Surefire let me down.

Air.177

Regarding the broken latch on the X300 family of weapon lights, I have had similar experiences several times. SF was extremely helpful in replacing the latches, and I scavenged some off of extra lights at work in the mean time. For the last two years I have been using an X300U with a Unity EXO shroud fitted and a cut down cotter pin from the X300 parts kit installed into the latch mechanism. This seems to support the latch enough to keep it from breaking, but the downside is that in order to replace batteries, you pretty much have to unscrew the allen screws and remove the EXO. I have toyed with the idea of cutting the EXO shroud slightly to allow the standard cotter pin to fit, but I have not yet done so. An aftermarket reinforced latch would be cool for those of us retards that insist on mounting pistol lights on rifles, but admittedly there are multiple turnkey options out there and there is not likely anywhere near a sufficient market to justify the machine time to make such a niche part.

Mike F

Amateur
Is there a trick to getting the roll pin that secures the battery door latch pushed all the way back in? I cant see to get it centered in the holes.

Firemanjim

I had. One mounted on a Springfield champion operator,hand tight ,mid way through my third mag at the range it fell off the gun,once I recovered the light I saw that the screw/bolt broke in the middle ,was only 2 months old and had not been rough handled or drop,simply mounted on an aluminum frame 1911 and shot .waiting on bolt replacement

I broke one of the plastic switches right off while at a dept. training class.

SF was good about getting me a replacement, but still kinda stunk that it happened. I've also broken streamlights, so it is what it is.

As far as mounting U boats on long guns, I think ergonomically, a Uboat at 12 o clock is a great setup. That being said, I do agree that you need to shield that plastic door either via butting it up against a DD fixed front sight or by using the unity tactical piece.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Broke the mounting screw on a B model a few weeks ago. Was remounting it to G17 frame; had not yet started applying any real force. Only spent 40min on hold with SF last week, and hope to receive replacement screw soon. Makes me glad the A model is still available, and makes me wish their Rapid Replacement Parts site was still up. Pretty disappointed in the whole experience from the breakage forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slo_guy

I overtightened the screw and called surefire just this past Wednesday. Sure the wait was long, but I finally got through to someone and they told me they'd send a kit right away. I received the parts yesterday, Friday. Can't ask for better service than that.