Would you volunteer at a local school, to provide active killer security / deterrence?

LEOs: Would you volunteer, 1 day a month, in a local school, as active shooter response / deterrence

• Yes, but only in my own kid's school

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, in a specific school, or any local school

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
I was told this doesn't find the scope of the Facebook page, so I'll move it here.....

Poll for LEOs only please (retired or sworn) - I welcome everyone else's input below however:
Would you volunteer, 1 day a month, at your child's school, or another school in your area (K-12), to serve as an armed responder / deterrent against an active killer situation?

Assume this is in places that don't have or can't afford SROs. Assume you are there only for these life-threatening emergencies, not to deal with little BS that the local on duty guys can handle. Assume you'll have limited tools (no rifles, but pistol, mags, body armor, comms, and typical off duty stuff). Assume the local jurisdictions know you are there, and your are readily identifiable by the good guys.

Again, just looking for LEOs for the poll simply because it is easier to sell politically, but I welcome everyone's comments / thoughts.

Mike London

I am retired LEO X 2 years, so I no longer deal with the official liability concerns regarding this. However, back in my playing days, I volunteered at my sons school in a couple ways, though likely not what you were specifically asking about. 1st, I gave an 'Active Shooter' presentation to the staff, basically explaining what the prevailing thought du jour was from the LE perspective (statistics, brief AAR's of school shootings, and a basic walkthrough of what they could expect from coppers), and answered questions they had. These ranged from the 'but that'll never happen here, right?' type questions to questions about weapons of opportunity and liability. 2nd, I offered to walk through the classrooms of any teacher interested, and offer suggestions for fortification/escape/etc. Several took me up on this. 3rd, I offered to assist any of them that were interested, in identifying a weapon/holster/carry system that would work for them specifically, and put them in touch with training opportunities.
All in all, I did nothing more than offer them info that they could have gotten for free in a million places. What seemed to benefit them the most, however, was that because my son was in their school, and because they (ignorantly) thought my job qualified me as a SME, they seemed to be unusually willing to follow through. Coincidentally, I just had a Convo with the principal today about attending a combat handgun course together.

On a regular basis, depending on my work schedule, I have been walking the halls of his school now for four years randomly. Some of the staff knows I'm armed, but most simply think I am volunteering to read in class, etc.

Gillaspyjm

Just to throw out another angle here, in Texas, unless you are legally a full time LEO, this type of volunteering would be illegal. It's illegal to provide a regulated service, security, without a license. The only exemption that exists for the Private Security Act is full time peace officers which is defined as a sworn Texas licensed peace officer working 32 hours per week or more. Reserve and part time peace officers or federal agents officers don't qualify for the exemption. There are several states that have similar laws, so before you do this look into your local laws. There are plenty of places, such as my company, that would allow you to get licensing and wear their uniform or work in a plain clothes capacity, depending on licensing, on a volunteer basis though. We have a program for churches where we allow their volunteers to work under our license provided they pay for their individual license and training.