When are subloads an acceptable option?

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
There was a time when I moved ALL my gear to beltline or subloads; I was a) younger and less knowledgeable, and b) spending a lot of time behind a steering wheel that, if I'd put my gear on my chest, would have been rubbing my mags.

I think the concept of a subload is fine, but they have significant downsides (way more fatiguing, constantly changing position, etc.). If your gear is turning you into the Michelin man, and you need to have a gas mask too, I get it. For mags/pistol, I absolutely do not.

- Jake

ptrlcop

Established
I have a HSGI Costa sub load that I use for certain planned vehicle assaults. They work well for giving a normal appearance from outside a vehicle where people can only see your upper body while still having a reasonable load.

Jorge5811

I ran a rifle/IFAK subload as a patrol officer. The female end of a fastex buckle was on my inner belt, and I could just snap the subload on when I deployed my rifle. It was my best option, since I didn't have a plate carrier.

Lobsterclaw207

If your gear is turning you into the Michelin man, and you need to have a gas mask too, I get it. For mags/pistol, I absolutely do not.
- Jake

This is me. Michelin man vest, too long so it impedes belt-mounted stuff, and cumbersome bicep armor doesn't help. I use a subload with a rifle mag in TACO, a multitool, mini-smoke, and a vertical utility pouch with notebook, pen, and tertiary flashlight in it on my left leg. Don't like it, but such is life.

JB3

Amateur
If it is kept slim and light then I can dig it. For LEO, a rifle mag and two TQs is fine. This can support the gear already carried on the belt if plate carriers are not cool with your agency. As long as you don't try and run an entire chest rig on your thigh you should be ok.

jnc36rcpd

I carry my Taser in a subload. While not ideal, I don't have that much room on my belt. I don't think the subload if a bad idea if you need to quickly attach gear to a duty belt. My first ammo carrier was an SOTech Tactical subload for rifle magazines. If I wasn't carrying my taser on my leg, that would be my first choice for deploying a rifle from the cruiser if a plate carrier were a no-go.

Mick-boy

VIP
If you mostly stand around, I think you can probably get away with them.

If you have to walk/hike/ruck, avoid them at all costs. Re-evaluate what gear you need to have immediate access to, strip your kit down to the bare essentials, but for god sakes, keep shit off your legs.

ipdb322

Amateur
Like Jorge5811, I run spare mags and an IFAK on a subload. It sits with my rifle, and snaps onto the female fastex on my inner belt, if I deploy the rifle. Use is as a patrol officer.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
For Patrol, I have a single M4 mag on my belt. If I don't have time to put on my plate carrier, this gives me a mag in addition to my TQ on belt. Sometimes I have a mini IFAK in my pocket as well.

For SWAT use:
Turtle Vest: This vest rides literally at my belt line even fully tightened up. As such, I've gone away from anything on my belt/legs with it. Using a zip tie and paracord mounted safariland holster for this.
Plate Carrier: I have gone to a single belt mounted Raven holster and 1 pistol reload and a fixed blade knife on my pants belt with this. TQ and snacks in my pockets. Everything else in my assault pack or on the PC.