Vickers 1 day pistol, 3/27

Spisco85

Class: Vickers 1-day basic pistol
Date: March 27, 2015
Instructor: Larry Vickers
Cost: $275
Round count: 250
Time: 0830-1600

Twenty people and I, braved a cold, wet, rainy, snow filled range to attend Larry Vickers, one day basic pistol class in Wallingford, CT. This was my first pistol class in a while and I consider myself a beginner pistol shooter. Larry places a huge emphasis on trigger control and accuracy.

The class began with dry fire and dime drills to learn the effect of trigger slapping. These drills were performed for about a half hour to forty five minutes. Throughout this period, Larry walked the line, giving tips on stance, grip and trigger control.

Live fire started at full presentation, with the slack taken out and shooters focused on sight picture and trigger control. This was performed from the 3yard line to the 10. Once this was finished we worked from the 3-10 from the low ready. Live fire drills continued working backwards to the draw. The class ended with shooting while walking forward.

There were also team competitions spaced throughout the class, with the winning team being the most accurate.

Take-a-ways:
-smooth trigger squeeze is the king for accuracy
-let the sights wobble, don't fight them and squeeze the trigger
-dry fire, dry fire, dry fire
-learning to shoot from YouTube, Magpul videos, and books only gets you so far. Find a good teacher and learn.

I watched my group go from 4" with some fliers to 2" with some fliers, and happily in the x ring, instead of my usual, low left grouping. I was very happy with the class, and with the pointers Larry gave out as he walked the line. I look forward to my next class in June with Dave Spaulding.

Spisco85

We did one walk back contest starting at 25 yards and ending at approximately 50 yards. Larry used this to show how important trigger squeeze is.

Prior to this class, the furthest I've shot comfortably with a pistol was 15yards with an ok shot group and 25 was consistently horrible.

PM07

Staff member
After taking this class, has your 25 improved? Did Larry help with any specific problems you were having with your distance work?

Spisco85

I haven't had a chance to push back to 25. However, my 15 has improved some. Larry stressed the importance of trigger control and while focusing on that, my 15yard shot group has shrunk. I have been working on speeding up a quality trigger pull to be able to shoot faster and more accurately.