Vehicle borne threats

Spartan117

Amateur
With the prevalence of vehicle borne attacks lately what are some of the steps your agencies are taking to help mitigate the threat at large outdoor gatherings?

If a vehicle attack were to take place would it be more advantageous to shoot at the windshield in an attempt to incapacitate the driver or to shoot at the engine compartment in hopes of disabling the vehicle?

Thresher8-8

Amateur
My agency is taking its usual approach to problems of violence. Stick our heads in the sand and hope it doesn't kick us in the ass. With that said, I would vote for driver shots. Modern Engines are able to run for a while damaged. Have you ever chased a vehicle with oil and just about every other fluid spewing out of it? They run for miles.

Also luckily most of those type of attacks have been flat windshield trucks. If you haven't shot through a windshield yet? I recommend trying it if you can pull it off. I'd try to seek out someone with knowledge and do it on a range with a good berm. The Ohio St. Univ. attack domestically was a car then a knife attack. I think the game would have changed on that one if he continued to drive around the campus running victims over.

Spartan117

Amateur
Roger, windshield shots to incapacitate the driver. Understood.

I have shot through a windshield from the inside and the outside. If I remember correctly shooting in deflects the rounds downward. Aim at the head to drop the rounds into center mass.

N

nate89

Take a look at the modcasts, as well as other media from people who have a 'large n' of experience shooting windows. For example, regardless of your opinion of Will Petty, he has shot loads of windows with all sorts of calibers and ammo types. If I remember correctly, because the bullets will take the path of least resistance, whichever side of the bullet exits the glass first tends to be the direction it heads; ie. shooting out of a standard car from the front seat out the front windshield, because it it sloping up and toward you, the leading edge of the bullet exiting the glass first is at 12 0'clock and will cause it to rise. Also, as soon as you have a hole through the glass, now you are shooting unobstructed with no bullet deviation or deflection.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Roger, windshield shots to incapacitate the driver. Understood.

I have shot through a windshield from the inside and the outside. If I remember correctly shooting in deflects the rounds downward. Aim at the head to drop the rounds into center mass.

Seems like I've been reading or hearing from pros lately that this isn't necessarily true. Not necessarily wrong either. It's just that glass makes bullets do a lot of unpredictable things.

Kyle Lamb's motto with auto glass is "p for plenty"

Your best bet is always going to be barriers. If it's come to the point where you need to shoot through windshields to stop an attack, things are already deep in the shitter. My city hosts a lot of outdoor events in the warmer months and a few city vehicles parked at certain choke points helps mitigate anyone having the idea to plow people over with a truck .

This past year, I had the day before halloween off and my GF wanted to go to this halloween event in elgin, IL called nightmare on chicago street. It was a post-apocalyptic zombie scene that took up a few city blocks and had all sorts of people and activities inside of it. There were 4-6 entrances to the event, all on the street level and what EPD did, was use their TRT bearcats and squad cars to block off the intersections. They parked their vehicles perpendicular to the road and covered the width except for a smaller spot in the middle for people to pass in and out of. To make it all seem like part of the act, they had some squad cars with their emergency lights on.

There were thousands of people inside this event and I thought they handled it well.

I use to work for a federal agency that was highly concerned with VBIED's. All property associated with them was lined with reinforced concrete barriers, planters, and pop up steel gates that would stop a loaded dump truck. Obviously that's not feasible for your average municipality, but the practice is your best bet, I think.