True or False

Freedom Forged

Not the best idea to put a can on a DI 5.56 because......

It won't quieten it down enough to make much difference.

It crud's up the DI rifles way too much. It'll need constant cleaning.

You'll have to change the buffer/spring in order to "match" it to the can.

All things I've heard.
FF

Lobsterclaw207

Yep. That's stupid.

In order:

It quiets it down plenty to "make a difference". What a "difference" is, is like asking what is is. It's subjective. For ME, it's enough to "make a difference" (police/SWAT rifle).

I've fired way over 2500 rounds through mine (12.5" barrel and 7.62 Saker suppressor) without cleaning once and didn't have a problem. That isn't an excuse for ignoring maintenance, but even a quick wipe-down or adding lube is a smart move. Are you (or who told you this) getting in firefights that last days and days and you don't have a chance to perform even basic maintenance? Where are these firefights cuz I want in.

I didn't have to change anything with regards to buffer or action spring to get my suppressor to run reliably. Even if I did, that's expected and costs about $40, so wouldn't stop me from using a suppressor.

Here's one piece of anecdotal evidence: just like everyone told me I would, I have shot maybe one magazine through my rifle unsuppressed since obtaining my suppressor. Once you go suppressed, you don't go back.

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Too Established
Vendor
VIP
Not the best idea to put a can on aDI 5.56 because......

It won't quieten it down enough to make much difference.

It crud's up the DI rifles way too much. It'll need constant cleaning.

You'll have to change the buffer/spring in order to "match" it to the can.

All things I've heard.
FF

When I was a teenager, a wise man told me something that has stuck in my brain: "Believe none of what your told, and half of what you see". So maybe apply a little of that thought process to where you are getting your information from.

When it comes to suppressing a direct gas impingement 5.56 type rifle like an AR15, and how quiet it needs to be to make a difference is subjective into how you look at it. From my perspective of several decades of Law Enforcement & SWAT, and yes I have a hearing loss, I like suppressing the rifle. As a SWAT Cop, we generally know what we are going into when we are in the field, so we gear up with things like firearms, body armor, helmet, eye protection and electronic hearing protection. As Patrol Officers we don't always know what we are going into, as many times we have to bail out of the patrol car right now with a firearm, and we don't always get the time to put on safety equipment like electronic hearing protection, so taking the Patrol Officers perspective into account, there is a great need to have a suppressor. So where am I going with this is simple, with a properly set up rifle with a suppressor, you can quiet it down enough to shoot and without hearing protection if necessary, thus resulting in lessening the chances of causing hearing damage if needing to deploy without the opportunity of being able to put on hearing protection (Though I still recommend using hearing protection if possible, especially for training).

All AR15 type rifles, whether piston or gas impingement will get fouled (dirty) when you shoot them, and all of them will need to be maintained by cleaning and then lubricating all parts where there is friction. If you suppress a rifle like an AR15, whether gas impingement or piston, you will see more fouling as the suppressor is holding gas pressure inside the rifle.

If running a baffle type suppressor, which most suppressors are a baffle type, you will most likely need to slow the cyclic rate down to get optimum performance out of the rifle and suppressor. Changing and tuning cyclic rates can be accomplished numerous ways, to include but not limited to different weight buffers, action springs, adjustable gas blocks, gas port size and location, different bolt carriers, different ammunition, etc.

If you ever get the chance to attend one of our armorer courses, then do so, as we cover the entire weapon system, to include suppressing and timing issues.

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

Greg "Sully" Sullivan

Too Established
Vendor
VIP
Here are some pics from a suppressed piston rifle.

3548680695-2d8feb0d23-b1.jpg

3548693999-efaf0fe1d3-b.jpg

3548689487-8449978d0e-b.jpg

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123