Thoughts on the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 1/2?

Unobtanium

I'm interested in hearing more, myself. I have always used Surefire Scout lights, and want to know from a technical standpoint---screw the dollars---what's the better piece of kit, objectively? Is Streamlight putting out a comparable product with this at a lower price due to where the labor is sourced, or not so much?

Arete

Coworker just got a RM2 , which I installed for him.

I am very biased toward Surefire products but am impressed by the RM2 and can see me buying one or more of them.

I'm interested in hearing more, myself. I have always used Surefire Scout lights, and want to know from a technical standpoint---screw the dollars---what's the better piece of kit, objectively? Is Streamlight putting out a comparable product with this at a lower price due to where the labor is sourced, or not so much?

Based on Blowers, and others impressions, the vibe that I am getting is that technically they are very similar. The Data sheet for the protac 2 says made in china at the bottom. (http://streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-2) Someone linked earlier that streamlight's electronics are potted, the link is broken for me, and I am unable to find that on Streamlight's website. For what it's also worth, I cannot find it on Surefire's website either. If someone has good links to either I'd love to see it and learn more. I have 2 Protac 2s and I am very happy as far as fit and finish goes. I am using the standard mounts, but can confirm that they do add width to the gun. Of course this is easily fixed with a aftermarket bit from Unity Tactical or several others.

JRude

Amateur
I was the one who incorrectly believed that it had potted electronics.

Could a person do that himself with some marine grade epoxy, or would it damage it somehow? It would be ridiculously cheap and simple.

Unobtanium

I was the one who incorrectly believed that it had potted electronics.

Could a person do that himself with some marine grade epoxy, or would it damage it somehow? It would be ridiculously cheap and simple.

To do it properly, you would have to take the light module down further than is likely do-able without special tools, or do-able at all for all I know.

I have a RM1 and RM2 at this point. The RM2 flickers pretty easily with any impact/bump, and the RM1 flickers as well, although it takes A LOT OF ABUSE to get a flicker out of the RM1.

Streamlight screwed this product up when they decided not to a) use a stronger spring for the CR123 on the head-side of the RM1, and b) not to use a spring at all on the RM2 head-side. IT needs BOTH. If it had both, it would be one rocking piece of kit. As it is, it's still 100% functional, it just has an annoying tendency.

For gifts, loaner guns, or department use, I bet the Rail Mount series is THE ticket. For personal use? Mine will remain Surefire because OCD.

PatMcG

My RM2 flickers if I dry fire my rifle. I don't even need to fire a live round. Not something I'm super comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krax

I've had an RM1 for a few months now. Overall it's very good. I have maybe two gripes:

1) It doesn't come with screws to attach it to aftermarket mounts.

2) The remote switch is garbage. The constant-on button on the pressure pad sticks out pretty far and isn't protected like Surefire's switch and the wire is permanently attached to the tail cap. I hacked up a Surefire pad and the Streamlight switch and solved half of the issues. I'd prefer it if the tail cap had a recepticle for an Insight pressure pad.

Joe R.

Sample size of exactly one so take it for what it's worth...

I have a RM2 that I mounted on my gun 3 weeks ago. It went down during a Graham Combat class last weekend with less than 1000 rounds under it. I have not contacted Stearmlight yet but will report back with my results once I do.

Just an update - its been over 5 months since I chimed in - my RM2 is still going strong. Multiple Search Warrants (explosives used on one), multiple training sessions using explosives, bouncing around in a bearcat, etc. I have not noticed the flickering issue, and perhaps I have not ran the gun that hard. The anodize finish is worn off the end of the bezel from rubbing against the non-skid surfaces inside the bearcat / my gear/ etc.
Just an update.

Edit to add: The gun was accidentally knocked off a table and fell approximately two or three feet to land on the light - I'm running the light with a Haley Strategic thorntail mount, and the light still functions fine.

I initially bought an RM1 from DSG when they were first released to see how it compared to my SF mini scout.

The one I received left me feeling "meh" about it. There was flickering with minor bumps and bangs and after a month, the light was draining quality cr123's in less then a day just while sitting in a rack.

Finally got around to sending it in and SL was excellent about a quick replacement. The second RM1 I received has been excellent. I bang on it, It's fallen out of the rack, one day doing some active shooter training, I took a turn through a tight door frame and smoked the bezel on the door frame, etc...

I've got it mounted on an ALG EMRv3 in an arisaka mount using their supplied switch.

For what it's worth, I've broken Surefires on my duty guns too and while this SL needs further time to be eval'd, I'd say it's promising and definitely a solid, economic option compared to the SF.