Thoughts on the Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 1/2?

Uncle14

Bill Blowers has some video testing going. I believe he's going to do something like 2500 rounds. Check either YouTube or Facebook. I can't remember where I saw it.

Bill Blowers

Sausage Six Actual
VIP
It does fir on a Unity Tactical Fusion mount for MLOK. Comforting M600 side by side, completely subjective, but it appears the Streamlight output is exactly the same. So even thought the rated lumens is higher, I can't tell a noticeable difference between the two.

Steindor

Likely because the significantly lesser price doesn't come with apparent significantly lesser quality. I've been using the Rail Mount 2 for a few weeks, and I'm hard pressed to pinpoint where the significant price difference is reflected in terms of performance. I remember some engineer type- dude taking apart a TLR1 and X300 and doing a really in depth comparison between the two in terms of manufacturing/assembly/component quality. Would be interesting to see something similar for this.

Been running the protac railmount 2 in real-world environment since getting the light. Between four and five hundred rounds unsuppressed so far through the gun since adoption of the light, and I run it up even with my flash hider. Muzzle blast / shock and general bumping around during training / search warrants / callouts have had absolutely zero effect on the light so far. Battery life is about the same as the TLR-1HL on my blaster.

For the price it is holding up well with no issues. My gun is not a safe queen and it gets the general abuse (not from negligence, just real world shit) one would expect from bumping around in gear, shooting a lot during training, etc.

One change I did make was I removed the factory mount and replaced it with a haley strategic thorntail mount. I did this to decrease the footprint of the gun so it was easier to put through the ports on our bearcat. There was no issue with the factory mount other than it made the light stick out a bit too far for me.

I love the fact that the light is ten-tap programmable. The strobe function / low power function just plain got on my nerves. I prefer (and this is MY preference) that when I activate the light, it comes on bright and nothing else.

JRude

Amateur
It uses an optical lens instead of a reflector, one big solid hunk like the Elzetta lights. Supposedly this improves the quality of the beam. Mine is on order.

I wonder if the electronics are potted too. This would account for some extreme durability.

leozinho

They mention it. TIR optic.

http://streamlight.com/static/document/fact_sheet/276.pdf
"
CR123 Battery: 12,000 candela peak beam intensity, 219m beam distance, 350 lumens measured system output on High. 1,380 candela peak beam intensity, 19m beam distance, 40 lumens measured system output on Low. AA Alkaline or AA Lithium Battery: 4,950 candela peak beam intensity, 141m beam distance, 150 lumens measured system output on High. 1,380 candela peak beam intensity, 19m beam distance, 40 lumens measured system output on Low. TIR optic produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination."

JRude

Amateur
I missed that.

The light arrived today. it seems to have very good soft spill, I was expecting more of a spotlight than a floodlight but it appears to do both pretty well. I may get another for my cqb shorty Benelli M4.

Anyone know if there is a difference in beam pattern between the one and two cell? I would assume not, but leozinho may know.

This light is going to ride on an Arisaka keymod offset mount which I really like.

Here are some comparison photos for those interested.

First, a big dark room, approximately 200 feet to the door left of center:
GF2UBt4Ll8uQJ166bzAjIxASt6co3lvhlsIdep6O1a9yjQwFYAJxspZ2QW9C1cGci0goJeuhcS98u1Y=w1366-h676-rw

Now, the Streamlight ProTac RM2:
lLKx9UgqdfuMErmyIi7kDs2STZKwSQIr8goj6PpARRivWNO_SsZSy2brpD3Rit7JaQLbSpicwl1MyKM=w1366-h676-rw

Next the RM1 with CR123 juice:
_GkjttY_tdb_v2b6TKFHiuIw4tRw_PaGpdgwq0Nr1f-E-1J99udVBBB6yKzi-YV-xQSl6g_6837Ss_E=w1366-h676-rw

And the RM1 with AAs:
cwmzp7ICX9d8K1Lta97zkL-mDG5IuuFeNthDFwb5EivqzIkO3O4G1buc-B2T1Gwgl288lb4SQsVo3Ow=w1366-h676-rw

Comparison - RM2 on left vs RM1 CR123:
-frCQdG2T-AiVVo-5Sn9cQgTjWOw-R0slkSS9gqCiYi0AP5IqBvrcVM0531NzFUSdZzRcDYOpk12kYk=w1366-h676-rw

Comparison - RM2 on left vs RM1 AA:
D1jphgtZzYFDULCGg8QJzP5QOrIN-Fz4AtzY_w95ROv70JkAp1ZbRPd2-KrcAIBJAZ9smhBjX0MnAMs=w1366-h676-rw

I feel like the comparison pics are of limited value due to spill from the brighter light enhancing overall visibility. True comparison is better from the single light pics, but just in case anyone's curious, there they are.

My thoughts on the units:
First off, my rifle currently wears the RM2, so it gets my endorsement (worth nothing, but there it is). If you need a scout-style light for a long gun and have any reservations about paying Surefire money at this time, I say go for the Streamlight. Will it survive a bomb blast as well? I dunno, probably not, but that's not anywhere near my probable use case. My rifle was wearing a pre-Uboat X300 prior to this and the RM2 is definitely a huge improvement in both throw and flood.

The RM1: the only situation I see recommending it is if you're doing something like a backpack rifle and need the accessories to be as compact as possible. The weight difference is something like an ounce or a half, so essentially negligible to me. Length is the only deal. For a house gun/SBR I probably wouldn't feel handicapped by the lower output as long as I used a CR123 (unless you live in a warehouse like above). The AA battery compatibility really doesn't do anything for me unless your last 123 just died and society's fallen and only AAs are left. So, whatever. Notice how on AAs you can't make out details about the ladder on the right or the couch in the distance.

If you've got the space on the handguard, run the RM2. More lumens is better.

[Double post to fix pics after 5 minute edit limit. Mods can delete the first one if it works.]

Here are some comparison photos for those interested.

First, a big dark room, approximately 200 feet to the door left of center:
uB74aiz.jpg

Now, the Streamlight ProTac RM2:
w9g7KNZ.jpg

Next the RM1 with CR123 juice:
V5ScH92.jpg

And the RM1 with AAs:
ayTKJoy.jpg

My thoughts on the units:
First off, my rifle currently wears the RM2, so it gets my endorsement (worth nothing, but there it is). If you need a scout-style light for a long gun and have any reservations about paying Surefire money at this time, I say go for the Streamlight. Will it survive a bomb blast as well? I dunno, probably not, but that's not anywhere near my probable use case. My rifle was wearing a pre-Uboat X300 prior to this and the RM2 is definitely a huge improvement in both throw and flood.

The RM1: the only situation I see recommending it is if you're doing something like a backpack rifle and need the accessories to be as compact as possible. The weight difference is something like an ounce or a half, so essentially negligible to me. Length is the only deal. For a house gun/SBR I probably wouldn't feel handicapped by the lower output as long as I used a CR123 (unless you live in a warehouse like above). The AA battery compatibility really doesn't do anything for me unless your last 123 just died and society's fallen and only AAs are left. So, whatever. Notice how on AAs you can't make out details about the ladder on the right or the couch in the distance.

If you've got the space on the handguard, run the RM2. More lumens is better.