Thoughts on running DG switches on a pistol mounted light?

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator

Sean McMahon
January 23

Thoughts on running DG switches on a pistol mounted light? I run one on my duty gun

"}" data-reactid=".sv" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Like · Comment · 633

ptrlcop

Established
I've posted this elsewhere before...

My sgt stopped a veh that took several blocks to pull over. I backed him up and was standing on the passenger side of the veh while the sgt questioned the guy. I can hear dude saying he is on parole, not supposed to be driving, etc. Finally, the sgt asks dude to step out.... And he lunges his entire body over to the pass side floorboard and grabs something. He was just starting to sit back up when my front sight came to rest on the back of his bean......and in the spill of my light I caught a flash of white in my peripheral vision, the insurance card in his hand...

I am convinced that having enough light(and a dg switch) saved me from being the guy who shot an unarmed black man who was just trying to get his life together. I was SOO close that I had to go sit down after dude was in cuffs.

Has anybody timed their draw while switching on a light with a normal switch to see how much time it costs?

In a patrol setting I have had way too many surprise draws to run without the DG despite my preference for shooting without it.

ptrlcop

Established
Also, I found the DG switch to be useful in training my trigger finger to operate independently from the rest of my hand. Shooting 25yd Bulls I work my trigger control and if the light blips I know that I am contracting my whole hand during the press. Not sure how useful that is, but I thought it was interesting.