Taurus 856 Defender initial impressions.

Hizzie

The Taurus 856 has been on the radar of at least one revolver group I participate in. Improvements in Taurus’s QC/CS coupled with sales pricing caused a few to give them a try. As those positive experiences continued several bought the Defender version for the 3” barrel. Caleb’s positive words of the Executive model along with a post in one of the P&S FB groups from a former Taurus employee regarding torture testing pushed me to the edge. While researching models and pricing I stumbled onto the Talo Edition of the 856 Defender. Everything the standard rack grade Defenders offered except this had a bobbed hammer.

Initial impressions:

Trigger is at least as good as current production S&W J frames. A little heavy but not gritty. It is very easy to stage. The fit/finish are very good. The barrel is properly indexed at 12 o’clock. Tool marks are minimal. The cerakote is near flawless. The rear notch is clean and the front Ameriglo night sight is very easy to see. The tritium is low set in the sight similar to Ameriglo’s Defoor sights. The three inch barrel has a full length ejector rod. The gun is exactly 25.5oz on my kitchen scale.

Range report will be forthcoming.

An in depth size comparison between the 856, J frame, SP101 and K frame is in the works.

F18AF6F0-0947-400B-99DC-9290942A5908.jpeg

veriest1

Thanks for the review. I've really been eyeing these lately because they strike me as a Detective Special but with a proper cylinder release. And I'm real interested in that.

I'm also excited to see what they do with the Executive Line going forward.