Surefire AAA Micro Scout Light now exists

LigerNoir

Amateur
P/S,

In my infinite searches of the interwebz to make the perfect lightweight carbine, I stumbled upon Surefire now making a SINGLE CELL AAA Micro Scout light. 300 Lumens w/ a Rechargeable AAA battery. 2 Oz.

My guess is Surefire is using the tech of the XC1 to make a super compact light for some agency looking to lighten the load using common battery types.

For people like me trying to both keep logistics and weight to a minimum, seems like a win. As someone who has no experience using a weapon light for it's intended purpose, is the advertised 65 Meters good enough of a compromise?

Link: https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/weapon-lights/m140a-micro-scout-light-pro/

1630706644007.png

tact

I don’t see how this product even sells. I do not see any benefit over what is available. While others are moving forward SF seems to be taking steps back.

MPer15

Amateur
An 18350 modlite is 4.2 ounces and outperforms this in every way. I hear your concern about standard batteries but if you buy a dozen 18350s you won't need to buy more for years. Just seems really pointless given what is available today.

Default.mp3

Established
You have to remember that there are agencies that will never go for something that doesn't run off of primary cells. Aimpoint had to go out and create the CompM5 specifically because State had requested a AAA RDS. I would hazard that this is a product of an agency request, just like their wrist lights.

Beyond that, it might have some use case for a dedicated NODs gun where the use of white light is not anticipated, or perhaps on a PDW where bulk is truly at a premium.

But yeah, definitely don't see this being used by most folks.

Recondo2117

Amateur
I could potentially see using this as a helmet light instead on the mini scout or an 18350 light to save the 2 oz and have a standard battery that is provided by ole Uncle Sam. Other than that, I’m not sure I see that much extra use for it though as even on a PDW, something like an 18350 Modlite or an X300U is only going to weigh ~4 oz. I guarantee one of the guys in my platoon will end up getting one and saying its the greatest thing ever for his M4 because it is so lightweight and takes up no space at all.

ffemt11b

I read on another forum that this is a niche product developed for a federal customer who had concerns transported CR123 batteries on commercial flights. Surefire produced more than needed for that contract and released them commercially. I don't see a benefit over their other offerings for my uses, but I also don't get to carry a rifle on commercial aircraft.

LigerNoir

Amateur
I have the AA M600 because I have zero interest in rechargeable or 123s. Everything else I own is AAA or AA except the battery for my Concept II bike which is a C Cell of all things. I use a Malkoff AA 2 Cell standalone for work as I can get batteries easily if I goof and don't replace my back-up lithium's.

If I learned anything from the Army, it's logistics. Even if I'm stock piling for myself cost and knowing I can find batteries at the store no problem make my life easier.

As for this light specifically, I don't think throws light far enough. Estimated 50 meters is like a sleeping bag being rated for 0 Celsius, Bull****. If you only need it for CQB, I think it's a wonderful idea. A helmet mount might be a bit expensive.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I have the AA M600 because I have zero interest in rechargeable or 123s. Everything else I own is AAA or AA except the battery for my Concept II bike which is a C Cell of all things. I use a Malkoff AA 2 Cell standalone for work as I can get batteries easily if I goof and don't replace my back-up lithium's.

If I learned anything from the Army, it's logistics. Even if I'm stock piling for myself cost and knowing I can find batteries at the store no problem make my life easier.

As for this light specifically, I don't think throws light far enough. Estimated 50 meters is like a sleeping bag being rated for 0 Celsius, Bull****. If you only need it for CQB, I think it's a wonderful idea. A helmet mount might be a bit expensive.
1913 rail adapters for helmet rails exist for cheap.