So you want to play host to training classes?

adam_s

This is taken from a collection of posts that I made on FB earlier today, but I'm bringing them over to the forum as well, so that they can be more easily searched for.

Question: "Can anyone go over the basics or how-to of hosting an instructor?
The lack of quality training in my area is disturbing and I've been interested in getting instructors to come teach."

First off, find a range at which you can host an instructor. Ask the range owner (if it's not you), what they will need to allow you to host using that location.

Second: determine the type of course you want to host. Look at the market in your area. Given you've not had decent instruction there previously, I would suggest level 1 type classes.

Third: Look at the instructors you would like to host, and determine if they teach the type of classes that would meet with your local market needs.

Fourth: After establishing you can use a local range facility to host, reach out to your choice of instructor, with details on the range, potential student makeup, etc.

Fifth: Determine dates that meet with everyone's needs. Take into account weather, and also any local events that may be going on which would have an effect on your students being able to come (lodging, etc).

Sixth: Be ready to play POC for students to reach out to you for hotel recommendations, coordinate ammo shipping, and generally answer questions. Also be ready to have the instructor ship stuff to you (targets, ammo, etc).

Seventh: Develop logistics plan for having adequate water at the range, as well as restrooms.

Eighth: Have the day before the class free, so you can meet with the instructor, walk the range, and if possible, set up target stands beforehand.

Ninth: On the day of, plan on showing up to the range at least two hours early to help prep everything.

Other notes:
Consumables: You need to be sure to have multiple staple guns, WITH STAPLES, at the range. I tend to think 1x staple gun per 3-4 students is a good rule of thumb.

Masking tape, for taping targets is a must have as well. It's cheap stuff. Get the 1" wide stuff, and have 1x roll per student.

Spray Paint: If you're shooting steel targets, spray paint is a must. You don't need anything fancy. Go get the $1 per can cheap white or black crap at Home Depot/Lowes/Etc. Get at least one can per steel target OR one can per student. Obviously if you only have a single piece of steel, you won't need 10 cans of paint...but it never hurts to have extra.

Cardboard backers are a must. Don't be cheap. Buy IPSC backers, in bulk. I tend to plan on 2x backers, per student, per day. Overkill? Most likely, but, better too many, than not enough.

Target Stand Uprights: Don't count on the range having sufficient/decent ones. Figure out the size you need, and get them yourself. Plan on two sets, per stand. Uprights get shot, and will eventually fall apart.

Target stands: Some ranges have decent ones, some don't. You obviously need at least one good target stand per student. If your range doesn't have them-plan on buying them or fabricating them. You can find plans to make them on the internet out of wood or steel.

MEDICAL: We all hope nothing goes wrong. However, it might. Have medkits on standby. Determine the closest hospital, and program the direct line to their EMS into your phone. If you can determine lat/long for EMS helicopters, and they are able to land at your facility...that's not a bad thing to have.

Folding canopies are awesome (think tailgating type). Shade, particularly here in the South, where it's hot and sunny, is never thought of, until you're sunburned to a crisp, dehydrated, and generally miserable.

Folding tables are handy as well. They give the students someplace to work on, without wandering to the back of their vehicle to jam mags. More time on the line is a good thing.

Range Fees & Waivers (Hat Tip to Steve Fisher for pointing this out): Some ranges will require a per student range fee. ALL ranges will require each student to sign some form of waiver, as will most instructors. Have a copy of the roster, and use it as a checklist to make sure that every person has signed, and paid. No sign, no pay, no shoot.

The last thought I'll leave you with is this: hosting should never be about getting a free spot in a class for yourself. I've spent very close to course tuition on making sure all the bases were covered for classes, before taking into account the value of my time, my own ammo investment, etc.