Skill set attributed to Military or LEO experience

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
I disagree that a better weapon won't be a positive. The same "they don't need that" argument was made by people upon adopting the RDS, but the data spoke for itself.

Software is a drum we beat here often, but a more accurate general issue weapon can only be a positive, not a negative. Considering what we have spent on an F35, one would think a 1.5-2 MOA capable weapon and ammo combo wouldn't
Be impossible to achieve.

Atlas

I completely agree Matt. I think the nail that's trying to be struck here though, is when I have to argue with a LTC that a bullet in fact is not a laser and does not just travel in a straight line forever. That the army / military is clearly terrible at teaching people to shoot. and someone who cant zero irons is going to have a motherfucker trying to zero an RDS.

Curt

Amateur
For all things gun related, definitely learned more late in career (last 13 years or so) looking outside than in (both LE & MIL). Part of that learning has been hanging out with other guys and comparing notes and processes. I think I picked up more instructional skills on the MIL (ARNG) side due to lack of resources and being allowed to do things by CoC that didn't care or didn't want to. Tactically, I have been in a position to refine what my team does and present it over 10 years in our basic SWAT program to various agencies. I continue to learn and discern as a student and an old SWAT cat that isn't impressed with something because it is new. But if it works my ego allows it to enter and become a part of what I do.

TBE

I was a competitive rifle shooter before the military, but I did learn a little bit about combat marksmanship... But only a little. I'd say 10% in, 90% out. I'd also add that almost everything I learned about ballistics was incorrect.

RickJames

Amateur
20% growing up in the woods, 20% as regular LE, 60% working in specialized LE (where good is never good enough, and rightly so)

kmorgan

Uh, let's see... things/ways I shoot. Carbine/rifle, scattergat, handgun, precision rifle. So that's four disciplines I play around/train in. The thing with carbine/rifle, is that, well, every damn thing has changed since I got out. I learned the "old MOUT" while I was in. Sampled the "new MOUT" as a civi. Yeah, it's a tad more dynamic now... Anyway, the suck did teach me how to shoot a rifle pretty well at things at intermediate ranges. So, for that discipline, I'm gonna say 50% mil, 50% civi. That leaves three other disciplines that I've been learning (always a student) since I got out. So by that breakdown, 12.5% .mil, the rest civi?

Seems about right.

ScottPM09

This is certainly interesting since I have made numerous comments during general training discussions in the past about this. After getting out of the NG as an 11B, I would say my training and shooting ability was at 40% strength

Medical skill set was probably holding at 20% compared to now.
You don't know what you don't know. I guess I didn't know there was much else to be learned back in the day.