Simunitions face masks

Fatboy

Established
Mods feel free to move if this isn't in the correct area.

The question is a two part one: what are people using for face protection with sims training? Are they using the paintball style mask, the replacement full samurai style helmets or something else?

The second part is if anyone has any experience using the mesh screen type masks that attach to your ballistic helmet like you would see for airsoft use?

Ideally, I want something I can attach to my helmet rails that doesn't interfere with my comms headset, doesn't fog over, and is safe to take rounds to the face if needed. Neck protection optional, and I'm also not opposed to wearing a set of ballistic goggles with a separate face mask.

So is this a unicorn or does it exist?

Grizzly

Avon c50 gas mask + ballistic outsert here. They will integrate with comms, defog very well and "freedom loves the gas mask".

I know some guys running the airsoft Save Phace (double lens) mask for sim stuff as well and it works well. But I'm not sure how it plays with comms.

image.jpeg image.jpeg I have used several different gas mask over the years but these days the C50 "IS THE GO TO MASK" without a doubt!

However keep in mind you still will need some type of ear pro to protect you ears when running a gas mask while true sim face mask protect your whole face, but are very prone to fogging up. Good fitting over the ear hearing protection will work well for this. I am using peltors and Sordins for this.

For head protection I have several helmets depending on the training but more times than. Or these days I'm just running an opscore BASE jump.

And lastly you will need some type of throat protect with any setup.

First pic is the C50 setup, second is the save phace setup.

I forgot to add if you end up going the C50 route you will need to use some kydex or something similar to protect the grill on the front. Here are a few pics of how I protect mine.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Fatboy

Established
We have peltors that are helmet mounted for ear pro. We also have the C50 mask with integrated comms, so that might just be the route we go. I was hoping for a more "open" solution not involving wearing a pro-mask if someone has one.

Thanks for the quick reply though. The pics helped as well. One question though- how did you zip tie the shield to the grill, and are you using some type of outsert for the lenses to keep from scratching or damaging them? Also, what are you using in place of a canister for breathing? It looks like a threaded plug with breathing holes. I'm guessing homemade?

275RLTW

The Save Phace will stop 556 UTM but are just front protection. No neck, nothing behind the ears. Coms fit underneath. I use one as an instructor as I won't be getting shot in the back of the head (or better not if they want to continue).

There is an older style mask that was made to mount with the ACH style helmets that were great. Good lenses in the goggles (again, stopped 556 UTM), mesh everywhere else. They just mounted directly under the front lip of the helmet, wrapped around the back, and attached via elastic strap with fastex clip. Very easy on and off. Comms worked. Decent sight pictures. I'll see if I can find the brand but if I remember correctly, they aren't made anymore as we were trying to get 200 more of them.

We have peltors that are helmet mounted for ear pro. We also have the C50 mask with integrated comms, so that might just be the route we go. I was hoping for a more "open" solution not involving wearing a pro-mask if someone has one.

Thanks for the quick reply though. The pics helped as well. One question though- how did you zip tie the shield to the grill, and are you using some type of outsert for the lenses to keep from scratching or damaging them? Also, what are you using in place of a canister for breathing? It looks like a threaded plug with breathing holes. I'm guessing homemade?

I ran the zip tie in one of the vents of the grill then looped it back out another opening. I curved the zip tie tip so when I treated it in it would pop back out about two or three rows over. Hope that makes sense.

And yes I cut the threaded end off of an old canister and hot glued a piece of kydex over the hole then drilled some small holes in to allow airflow.

I also use two of the outset lens as a lot of the time the guys I go up against are using UTMs and they can be a little harder on them. I drilled a small hole in the tabs that hold the lens onto the mask and use small wire to old the second lens on. The pic should make this more understandable.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Longeye

Established
What are you using for sacrificial lenses on the your NODs? Clearly your are protecting the housing with lots of Vet wrap, but the lenses themselves?

What are you using for sacrificial lenses on the your NODs? Clearly your are protecting the housing with lots of Vet wrap, but the lenses themselves?
Oh! I am trust me.

I started a tread on here a while back on force on force equipment protection.

Basically I use a sacrificial lens then two layers of Lexan. I use coban to wrap the Lexan onto the sacrificial lens. This still allows me to focus them if I need to.

I probably go to the extreme to try and protect my stuff as I'm just a poor civilian that does tons of OPFOR with all of my own gear.

http://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/force-on-force-gear-protection-tips.1460/