Setting up a defensive shotgun

hicklinc

Specifically I'm curious about opinions on different shotgun sights bead style vs rifle style etc. As it sits now I'm looking at purchasing the xs sights model that glues to my current bead sight. Looking for options or is I should stay away from xs sights

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

XS big dots will work well for a scattergun. There's not a metric ton of night sights for shotguns. I like the ability to zero for slugs with rifle sights. On the Beretta 1201FP I was issued it had rifle sights but the front sight had a tritium dot. I prefer having that tritium dot with rifle sights over the XS big dots.

hicklinc

Thanks I'm strongly considering ghost ring sights with the possibility of a red dot

MrMurphy

If it's purely a buckshot gun, a bead is fine. A fiberoptic or tritium bead is even better. :)

If you have any possibility of slug use, ghost rings are fast and also accurate. A red dot is supposedly the tits according to everyone I've known who'se used one on a shotgun, but I have yet to (only rifles, SMGs and MGs).

I've used LPA (Benelli) MMC, XS and just acquired an 870P which has a winged ghost ring rear by Iron Sight Gunworks I think (never heard of them) and a winged bead front, which is a little odd.......going to see how it shoots.

The LPA is very fast and accurate (headshots from the prone at 100 were no big deal) and the XS is very fast. I like their white stripe if tritium is not available.

A good Surefire, either a fore-end of the handhelds attached, and a sling is about all you need. The SGA stock set, a Fury and a VTAC sling is all that's in future for this 870 of mine, unless I go with a folder (keeping it small is key in this particular gun's future).

hicklinc

I have the surefire forearm I'm looking at either the lpa with a rmr direct mounted in front of it or the van comp ghost ring which is a lpa with a rail in front and I will pair an rmr with a qd mount haven't decided yet

Darth Tater

Sight-wise, my work gun has XS standard dot tritium front, stripe rear. It's fast for buck, and accurate for slugs. I have no problem making hits on B/C zones at 100 yards with it. I've shot these sights side by side against my old work gun's shotgun rifle sights and another with ghost rings. I found (for me) the XS standard dot worked faster.

My competition gun has a fiber optic front sight and no rear. I've made hits to 140 yards without issues with it. I intend to add an XS rear for slug use in the near future, to help speed up a touch.

K.O.A.M.

Amateur
My duty shotgun (870 Wingmaster) has Trijicon ghost ring sights. I went with the Magpul forearm to mount a VTAC light mount with Surefire EAG P2X Fury. If, as speculated, we go away from mandatory shotguns in cars, I can take the light off and use it. I put on a Speedfeed pistol grip stock set, a Mesa sidesaddle, a Choate magazine extension, a VTAC sling, and the Wilson safety. I easily have more in accessories than I do in the gun. It's been a reliable performer for 12 years and has thousands of rounds through it in that time period.

Longeye

Established
This kinda fits in this topic. For a number of reasons, I have a requirement to set up an 870 for patrol use. 14" SBS is not an option at this time. That leaves 18", which means I may as well add a +2 magazine extension.
The question is:
Does this extension need a clamp to stabilize the +2 magazine extension relative to the barrel?

If Yes:
Follow on question is "What brand/model of clamp is duty grade?"

The extension will be either Vang Comp or Scattergun Tech.

The 870 is equipped w/ Surefire forend, so I do not need to mount a light or sling to or via a barrel clamp.

Thoughts?

MrMurphy

Don't believe either of those need the clamp, though the factory one does. If its an option, the SGA stock definitely improves the ergonomics and LOP.

N

nate89

I have an 870 18" with a Wilson +2 and no clamp is required. It is much beefier than the stock mag tube, and i have never had an issue.

Longeye

Established
Thanks.

Now let's talk about preference for conventional stock vs. a pistol gripped stock such as the SpeedFeed IV or the Mesa Urbino.

Where does each style fit? Is there a clear reason to go with one style over the other? Does one style fit a particular niche very well?

N

nate89

Not applicable to the 870, but I have seen pistol grip stocks for the Mossberg 500/590 (both aftermarket and from the factory). With the tang safety, in my opinion the Mossberg shotguns should have a traditional stock only (ie. not a pistol grip).

MrMurphy

Despite spending most of my adult life on the AR, all of my shotgun time has primarily been on conventional stocks. I have one 870 w a Choate folder for a specific role, otherwise all mine have standard stocks.

Longeye

Established
I hear you on the Mossberg stock. Its ergos practically require a conventional stock.

MrMurphy,
Any particular reason you stuck with conventional shotgun stocks despite your AR time?

MrMurphy

Never really found a PG stock on a shotgun that felt "right" though the Urbino/Benelli stock is probably the best i ever shot or handled. That plus I've had several Mossbergs which sort of make you run conventional stocks. I also spent a lot of time on WW2 milsurps so it feels about as natural as an AR.

weaver1032

My previous employer was all shotgun (unless you bought your own rifle) until a few years after I left. My current agency has shotties as well.

I previously had a strong preference for the Speedfeed IV stock. The pistol grip made it much easier and handier for me to track targets and also for carrying it (as you're well aware, we carry long guns ALOT more than shoot them in LE). For moving around the gun and clearing, going hands on etc. The Speedfeed IV (or the Choate I had on my personal gun) was just superior for me. Interestingly, I got a screaming deal on an 870P last year and added a shotgun back to my safe where previously there had been none for about 5 years. We've been using the Magpul stock on our agency shotguns (in orange for LL) for about 3-4 years. I installed one on my personal 870. I personally believe that the Magpul SGA is THE way to go for shotgun stocks. It does everything that I liked about the Speedfeed but also keeps a more linear hold on the gun which I like better on the longer and heavier gun (vs an AR).

Bushido5150

I have an old Trijicon Reflex on my Mossberg 500. Magpul foreend with a trl-1 attached, and a standard stock. Works pretty good.

Longeye

Established
So, I picked up a Speedfeed IV-S in trade. I threw it on, and like the ergo's of it a lot. However, coma. The hard butt beats on a guy when it gets up against ones collar bone. Are there any squishy pads that fit this stock with no or minimal fitting?

I might have to look for a Mesa Urbino....