Safariland 6280 setup questions

Bill Assande

Amateur
Good Evening All,

I recently picked up a NIB Mid Ride Safariland 6280 holster for a USP w/ TLR-1HL off another forum and I'm running into a couple of issues. My first issue is the pistol binding about 50% of the time when I draw the pistol, I've played with the adjustment screw and I'm 100% sure it's my draw. I'm wearing the holster at about the 2 o'clock position or just over my right jean pocket, and currently using an Ares Gear enhanced Aegis belt until I can order a dedicated 1.75" or 2" duty style belt. I've watch some of the videos put out by Milspec_Mojo and few others to try to figure out what I need to address. Any further suggestions or insights would be appreciated, and to be clear this is strictly going to be a training setup and to grow my own experience with different platforms.

Second question, is it common to beat your middle knuckle raw with repeated draws? I'm not sure how/why the gap between the grip of my pistol and the holster seems really tight and I'm strongly thinking about carving out some of the plastic to open the space.
20210201_174554.jpg20210201_174525.jpg

Thank you for the help.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
Is the light attached? It looks like it is sitting low in the holster from the 6280's I am used to.

The 6280 was always like a big smooth bucket for me. If you are experiencing drag, the first thing that comes to mind is your draw. A 2 o'clock draw to me with that type of duty holster is inducing a torque. The friction retention could be the issue, but the manner you describe doesnt seem the cause.

What occurs when you draw from the holster when it's not on a belt, bringing it as straight up and out as possible? Do you feel the same resistance? Take a flashlight and look inside and see if you see any wear points.

Bill Assande

Amateur
Is the light attached? It looks like it is sitting low in the holster from the 6280's I am used to.

The 6280 was always like a big smooth bucket for me. If you are experiencing drag, the first thing that comes to mind is your draw. A 2 o'clock draw to me with that type of duty holster is inducing a torque. The friction retention could be the issue, but the manner you describe doesnt seem the cause.

What occurs when you draw from the holster when it's not on a belt, bringing it as straight up and out as possible? Do you feel the same resistance? Take a flashlight and look inside and see if you see any wear points.
Yup light is attached, I thought it looked off as well but the others I have seen were for glocks or 1911s. Off the belt it comes clear with no issue. I'm positive its partly my draw exacerbated by belt position. I was having more of a binding issue at 3 o'clock plus the UBL plate was digging uncomfortably into my thigh. I was going to take some pictures and attempt a video today but popped something in my back yesterday so it will have to wait a few days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

PM07

Staff member
I've had some binding issues with a 6280 previously. IIRC I swapped out the UBL for a different ride height and adjusted the position on the belt until it went away.

Bill Assande

Amateur
I've had some binding issues with a 6280 previously. IIRC I swapped out the UBL for a different ride height and adjusted the position on the belt until it went away.
Thats my plan as well, trying to decide if I want to invest in QLS attachment or just a straight belt mount.

Boy Scout

Where is it binding, specifically? In the holster itself? Your draw and the bend in the wrist? The bottom of the holster coming up?

I did a leg strap mod on my 6280 years ago and it solved my problem.

First I did the ITS mod: https://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure-your-safariland-6004-for-mid-ride/

Then I updated it to the P&S mod: https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...pot-elimination-feldy-cakes-holster-mod.2394/

You may find some help by replacing the belt loop to adjust the ride/cant better and to sit on your belt better, or maybe try a negative cant plate.

Bill Assande

Amateur
Where is it binding, specifically? In the holster itself? Your draw and the bend in the wrist? The bottom of the holster coming up?

I did a leg strap mod on my 6280 years ago and it solved my problem.

First I did the ITS mod: https://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure-your-safariland-6004-for-mid-ride/

Then I updated it to the P&S mod: https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...pot-elimination-feldy-cakes-holster-mod.2394/

You may find some help by replacing the belt loop to adjust the ride/cant better and to sit on your belt better, or maybe try a negative cant plate.
Thanks man, I'm definitely going to look at the ITS mod as a possible fix. I have a competion holster using GCodes drop leg setup that I like as a "cool kid" rig, I may take the leg strap off that to try this out.