Safariland UBL hot spot elimination - Feldy Cakes holster mod

jordansays

I wear a Safariland mid- or l0w-ride UBL daily for work and have always suffered a "hot spot" and annoying pressure at the bottom portion of the UBL. Before working in LE, I had always worn a "drop-leg" (modded shroud with DFA) just low enough to clear my armor and never had an issue. We are not allowed to wear "drop-legs" at my agency so my get-around was to roll with a low-ride UBL, QLS setup, 6354DO holster, and modded leg strap which put the holster where I wanted it. After 11ish hours a day wearing the holster, however, I found myself constantly boo-boo-lipping from the pain in my leg. The UBL pad Safariland sells helped a little bit but it wasn't enough.

So, I came up with this handy little mod:

image1.jpg

Take a DFA and mutilate it! I took a hot knife and cut off the portion below the first two bolt holes. Then I folded the bottom piece a little bit and used my 1" bench grinder to make a small recess where the bottom bolt would go.

image2.jpg

Boom. See ya later, hot spot, you fucking fuck stick.

image3.jpg

Leg strap optional. I wear one because I don't like my pistol flopping around when I'm running.

I hope you guys find this mod helpful. Blowers dubbed it the Feldy Cakes mod so that's what it is. I'd say it's on par with the Roland Special. :) I've only been running it this last week, and what you see is my hasty "mod 0" I mocked up quickly before work, but so far it's eliminated my hot spot. And it's technically not a "drop-leg" so you're in the clear if your agency is racist against drop legs.

Boy Scout

I run an ITS Tactical mod, 1.5" drop UBL with a leg strap on the bottom bolt. It rocked with my previous belt, doesn't seem like it's as comfortable now. I will definitely give this a try!

JUDAN

You should be able to run a QLS mount with a paddle I believe. I'm currently running 6378 ALS and I transition from chest to hip. Wore a UBL for awhile! What a PITA!

Longeye

Established
Jordan,
That is a slick mod. I did something similar with a sheet of kydex on both my patrol and call out UBL's. It helps a whole bunch.

I have since transitioned to the 6072 UBL which carries the pistol higher on the belt. That is both more comfortable (eliminating the hotspot and need for a pad) and keeps my WML holsters from pogosticking on the seat of the cruiser.

Boy Scout

Bringing this one back as my holster has been bugging me. Anyone have any updates or new mods they've been doing? I really like the ride height on my low ride UBL, but the top points of the holster are what's getting me. I'm short torso-ed and short legged so the bottom of the holster pushes the rig up from the car seat and pushes those points on the UBL up into the top of my hip.

ETA that I never did get to the mod in the OP....guess I should try that first!

Fatboy

Established
Bringing this one back as my holster has been bugging me. Anyone have any updates or new mods they've been doing? I really like the ride height on my low ride UBL, but the top points of the holster are what's getting me. I'm short torso-ed and short legged so the bottom of the holster pushes the rig up from the car seat and pushes those points on the UBL up into the top of my hip.

ETA that I never did get to the mod in the OP....guess I should try that first!

Depending on your holster, try the mid ride holster shank or the duty high ride. For example, I currently use a Safariland 6390 (open top model with ALS) for duty. It sits on a mid ride shank. Top of the gun is even with the Top of my belt, and nothing catches on the seat getting in and out.

One of my off duty holsters is the 6354DO, and because of the way the shanks mount to it (the holster sits lower by default so a low ride shank is more like a drop-leg shank) I had to switch to the duty high ride to keep the same height. That combo again puts the top of the gun even with the belt top and can be used in and out of vehicles or with armor with no issues.

And for the record, I'm short and wide so I don't have a lot of room under the edge of vests or at the bottom of the holsters to keep from catching on the seats.

Boy Scout

Yeah Fatboy, that's what I'm seeing on the ALS holsters versus the hood-style holsters. The three-hole mount is higher on the holster on the ALS holsters than it is on the hooded holsters.

I modded an old duty holster (6305) into what is now basically the 6377 (ALS only, no hood, high belt mount) and it is an extremely comfortable holster. When I did that, I used the 1.75" belt loop attachment and mounted it up where the bolt mounts were for the hood assembly (that was now gone). Looking at Jordan's pictures above, I see now why his holster sits so low on a standard UBL, because of the higher bolt mounts.

I went to town tonight on my rig and chopped the hell out of the low ride UBL (cut off the belt loops and trimmed it down) and added a Tek-Lok, to try and get rid of the points of the UBL poking me in the hip bones (and slight love handle). I attached the leg strap to it with the DFA mod above and it rides exactly where it did before but no more poking! I'm pretty happy with it, but it is still a 6280 and cants outward quite a bit still, and it is fairly bulky. Like an idiot, I didn't take any pictures but I'll take some and throw them in here.

I would use my modded 6305 but I use a TLR-2 now and it won't fit. I posted over in the Safariland Holster Mod thread as well with my woes looking for a new holster.

https://primaryandsecondary.com/for...0u-etc-rolling-updates.1048/page-5#post-22976

I swear, dicking around with Safariland holsters and parts is almost as bad as building a rifle anymore....

Fatboy

Established
How is your belt routed through the UBL?

If it is the normal style where it is over the outside bar, under the large center chunk, the over the other outer bar, try reversing it to get rid of some of the outward cant. But that will only work with the mid or low ride UBL not the high ride.

As far as modding the holster fora TLR2, a dremel with a drum wander and a heat gun do wonders. That's how I was able to add an ALS thumbguard to my 6354DO.